FRAM PH2 CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Off of my friends few years old (cant remember year to be honest) Ford reg cab F-250 pickup. I put this fikter on 5,989 miles ago along with some MS5K 5W30. Not too bad looking at all as he does 50/50 highway to hauling with truck. Truck has just over 149k on it as of this afternoon
smile.gif

Put some Valvoline Maxlife blend 5w20 and another PH2 back in and on. Let the orange can of death haters see this
wink.gif

20181120_165109.jpg

20181120_165308.jpg

20181120_165405.jpg

20181120_165420.jpg

20181120_165556.jpg

20181120_165451.jpg

20181120_165442.jpg

20181120_165424.jpg

Second pic from the bottom. You see that metal center tube with a slight dint to it. It is inside the cardboard hole. Is that a leak path?

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
Second pic from the bottom. You see that metal center tube with a slight dint to it. It is inside the cardboard hole. Is that a leak path?

Good eye. I dont know what i would call it

Originally Posted by PimTac
Did the case get dented by the removal? That's quite a dent.

Otherwise looks okay.

Yes, i did that during removal. Didnt want the filter to leak
wink.gif

No that isn't a leak path.

I know I said I was going to do a post trying to explain this (again) and I will when I get a chance, but if the people claiming this would actually study the filter element and the way it seals the answer would be clear.

Start here around the 2:20 mark:

Remember the important points:

• The end caps are sealed to the Media
  • The ADBV is sealed to the end cap
  • The leaf spring is sealed to the end cap

All the center tube does is keep the element from collapsing, it is actually the same as an E-Core and no one seems to be running around claiming E-Cores are in bypass...

Look here:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...en-ac-delco-pf63e-5109-miles#Post4830850

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

See how the media is glued to the end cap and the center tube only keeps it from collapsing, the FRAM works the same way. You can sometimes find both that you can slide the center tube back and forth in and all that holds it in is the overlap on the end cap.

If you set your preconceived notions aside and look at what's going on it is easy to understand that these things people believe let the filter bypass do not let it bypass. It is baffling to me that otherwise intelligent people will argue this to death (seemingly anyway)

Nope, no leak, the ADV seals tightly in there. The bypass would kick in before oil would leak there.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Remember the important points:

• The end caps are sealed to the Media
  • The ADBV is sealed to the end cap
  • The leaf spring is sealed to the end cap

All the center tube does is keep the element from collapsing ...

Yep, as long as there is a seal on the end cap around the center tube as shown by the green area, it doesn't matter if there is a gap between the center tube and the end cap. The whole center tube could be removed, and if there's a seal where the green line is, there will be no oil leakage going on.

Don't know why some people can't grasp this.
21.gif

20181120_165456.jpg

Last edited:
I hate that music. I rather hear the machines in use. Reality! Now we can blame the machines for defects....

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Adam-did the new PH2 have the silicone ADBV? That would make it a really good filter for a modular Ford.

2nd pic shows a black (nitrile) ADV.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
OH, and Thanks for the cut and post Adam... sorry for the derail...

Youre welcome Robert and folks
smile.gif

Originally Posted by blupupher
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Adam-did the new PH2 have the silicone ADBV? That would make it a really good filter for a modular Ford.

2nd pic shows a black (nitrile) ADV.
Let me try again-Adam-did the NEW PH2 have the silicone ADBV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back