Dog vs Skunk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys
Well I let my dog out this morning @ 5am to do his thing.
When I let him back in,WOW.
He found a skunk somewhere and got sprayed.
I bathed him but no help.
I went to the store and got tomato juice and will bathe him again.
Anyone have any experience doing this?
How long do you leave it on,etc?
Thanks

The online reference looks like it'd work. I've used milk before, it helps some.

Time is your friend.
smile.gif

Get the dog out of the house asap. Put on gloves, wipe the dog down with a dry shop towel to get as much of the skunk oil off as possible. Mix peroxide baking soda and dish soap in a bucket. Wash him down , wash cloth for his head face. Mix up a second batch and repeat. He will still smell for about a month. If he got sprayed in the face, neck it will be on his breath for 2 months. You will think its better in a week or so, but its just you getting used to it. If you are not careful the smell will transfer to you.

What kind of dog?

Last edited:
Years ago we had an English Setter. One day out pheasant hunting she got into a nest of baby skunks. She was tracking birds 30 minutes later. The ride home was memorable...
For the rest of her life when she got wet you could still smell the remnants of the skunk odor on her fur.

I used to have a lab retriever, Sam got sprayed at least once a year.I found 'odormute' at gun dog specialties, mix it with water soak your dog and let him dry without any help. The enzymes kill the smell almost completely.

The one experience I've had with a skunk sprayed dog taught me right away that tomato juice was a waste of time and tomatoes.

The setter we had also loved to chase porcupines. Dogs will be dogs.

My border collie got sprayed a few years ago. He's always outside and you could smell it on him for a good 10 days. What's interesting, though, was my son's car also got sprayed at the same time. I was replacing the fuel pump on it about two months later and I still would get a small smell of it when the wind was right.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Get the dog out of the house asap. Put on gloves, wipe the dog down with a dry shop towel to get as much of the skunk oil off as possible. Mix peroxide baking soda and dish soap in a bucket. Wash him down , wash cloth for his head face. Mix up a second batch and repeat. He will still smell for about a month. If he got sprayed in the face, neck it will be on his breath for 2 months. You will think its better in a week or so, but its just you getting used to it. If you are not careful the smell will transfer to you.

What kind of dog?

If this does not work. Good luck.

Originally Posted by spasm3

+1
Tomato juice works some. I also tried the expensive enzyme stuff from the dog store, but the hydrogen peroxide/baking soda/dish soap solution works better than both.
Be very careful about letting your dog out at 5am for awhile without scouting-out the yard first. It is likely that you have a skunk nest/den close-by, maybe even in your own yard. Ask me how I know. If you smell a skunk, it is VERY close-by, even if you don't see it. If you or one of your neighbors is feeding a cat or cats outside, you/they need to stop. Skunks are rabies carriers.
Never let your dog back in the house after it has been sprayed (you will definitely smell it), it will take a year to get rid of the odor in your house. For the house smell, buy a case of Fabreze and use it liberally.

Looks like the skunk won!

Had it happen to my parents dog out in the country. A commercial product from Wal-Mart helped with the odor. I don't remember the name.

Always try to get as much off as you can BEFORE you go to the wash, the water drives the spray deeper into their coat and skin. Shake on baking soda and let it absorb as much of the oil as possible then comb it out, rub with dry towel. Then rinse with peroxide (regular 3% stuff is what you want), dry again, repeat with peroxide but add some dawn dish soap, after 2-3 rounds of this then go for a full water/soap wash. The dog will still stink but it'll be tolerable, if it's a long haired dog get them shaved down to remove as much contaminated fur as you can.

My dog has been sprayed by a skunk twice now and both times we did the peroxide/baking soda/dish soap treatment and it totally removed the smell right away. The last time he got into a scuffle with the skunk he took a big chunk of it's fur off!

IMG_5336.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back