Thanksgiving 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always looked forward to fall and the changing countryside. Harvest is almost complete and the sea of green has changed to browns and yellows. Every little community has a convenience store where the growers gather every weekday morning to have their coffee and doughnuts and more. This fall they are talking about their almost record harvest and no place to sell it or store it. Almost all elevators are at capacity with beans that would normally be on their way to China. But that market is closed. No one wants to mention election day 2016 and what "they" did but it's just under the surface. Corn is being stored on the ground protected by tarps. Grain cars that would normally be rolling down to Louisiana ship terminals are sitting idle on every branch line track. The "We Can Handle It" Union Pacific doesn't have any beans to handle. There is a silence across the land this Thanksgiving.The new pickup or combine or tractor or grain bin will have to wait. Those acres that were snapped up a few years ago at $8,000 per aren't returning squat on investments. Grain prices won't even cover the cost of growing it.It's not a happy Thanksgiving for many rural families. Hope we have only shot one or two toes off.Happy Thanksgiving America.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by maxdustington
Oh boo hoo, rich boy farmer can't get a new truck this year. Looks like he'll be driving that 2016 for another year, the humanity.

What is the best oil to run in the 2016 pickup used by a rich farmer?

Oh boo hoo, rich boy farmer can't get a new truck this year. Looks like he'll be driving that 2016 for another year, the humanity.
The big growers can wait out low grain prices, but many of the younger guys with a quarter or two are having a hard time surviving this down turn due to---whoa there Hosteen, you don't want to get banned for venturing into politics.

Only one person brought up politics, and that was in the original post.

There are good years, and there are bad years. Sometimes you have to wait for that new "pickup truck" and other times spending money can almost be too easy. However, this thread has somehow managed to miss the point of thanksgiving entirely. This is a time to give thanks for what you do have, not bemoan that which you don't.

Originally Posted by JustN89
However, this thread has somehow managed to miss entirely the point of thanksgiving. This is a time to give thanks for what you do have, not bemoan that which you don't.

Thank you, JustN89 !

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
The big growers can wait out low grain prices, but many of the younger guys with a quarter or two are having a hard time surviving this down turn due to
Welcome to being a millennial, it's not all IPhones and safe spaces. There isn't as much to go around as there once was due to globalization, protectionist tariffs help reduce the effects of said globalization.

These rich boy farmers grow food for the city folks to eat. The farmers and ranchers have a million dollars of production and a million and a half dollars of overhead ! It is a brutal business growing food to feed the people that would like to see you all go bankrupt. I appreciate it and thanks for the food I eat.

Happy Thanksgiving
34.gif
08.gif

spoken like a true VW fanboy....

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Yeah, soybeans are very perishable and most of it will go bad.

Who told you that? Actually, corn and milo can be piled outside, temporarily, and the quailty is not affected too bad. I can show you mountains of it around here. (They do it every year, politics have nothing to do with it)
Wheat and soybeans are never stored outside. Wheat and soybeans can be stored in metal or concrete bins for over a year, perhaps a lot longer. I know of a local elevator that has three-year-old wheat in it that sells to some bakeries 500 miles away because this wheat has exceptionally high protein.
I actually had a decent soybean crop this year and I sold it as soon as it went over the scales.
As for the OP's post about all the farmers mumbling about doom and gloom...well, they do that every year also. My brother had such a good crop and was so happy about everything, he bought a new John Deere planter a few days ago.
And, yes, it is true. If you want to see an army of newish pickup trucks, just look at the parking lot of the local coffee shop during the morning when planting or harvesting is not in season.

No, they will be stored in bins and the moisture managed with fans. In my 40+ years of involvement with farming, I've never seen beans go bad in a bin when the moisture is properly managed.

I normally don't comment on ignorant posts like this, but I invite you to start farming so you can get rich. Let us know how it works out for you.

Wayne, didn't know you were a farmer. Thanks for your feeding our cities. Lots of US crop makes it to Canada
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wwillson

No, they will be stored in bins and the moisture managed with fans. In my 40+ years of involvement with farming, I've never seen beans go bad in a bin when the moisture is properly managed.

They farmer on TV did mention moisture hurting his soybeans. Maybe he didn't have enough bins to store all his crop ?

I'll look for the video and post it.

Originally Posted by JustN89
Only one person brought up politics, and that was in the original post.

There are good years, and there are bad years. Sometimes you have to wait for that new "pickup truck" and other times spending money can almost be too easy. However, this thread has somehow managed to miss the point of thanksgiving entirely. This is a time to give thanks for what you do have, not bemoan that which you don't.
You are absolutely right N89. I should have included that in my post. Have a happy and safe Thanksgiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back