Supertech, first time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brace yourselves, but I'm kind of an oil snob. Not very bad, just kind of. I will use Amsoil and similar in certain applications but otherwise just try to stick with any given brand name which has the best price. Well, today I broke my rules. Just picked up a new-to-us Tahoe and trying to get some fluids baselined that likely are very overdue. Actually, now that its done I can attest that they were well over due. Still need to get the transmission and rear end done but did manage to squeeze in transfer case, brakes and front dif. Well, seeing as the front dif will very likely only see use during severe winter weather I did want a synthetic 75w90 instead of 80w90. And seeing as it shouldn't see a ton of miles of use per year (front axle disengages in 2HI), and that I already am spending too much on this truck, I didn't want to spend an arm and a leg on fluids. Well, hello $5/qt Supertech gear oil. Looked like gear oil, smelled like gear oil. Half the price of Valvoline Synpower. Has anybody run this stuff long term? Would you trust it for a full factory spec change interval? I figure with the sludge that came out it HAS to be an improvement and maybe I'll just change it again next year with some nicer juice...

Congratulations on the full sized GM … love mine over the Explorer Sport …
My Tahoe ~ the FF front axle fluid looked like "now" (17'at 17k) so in for change regardless of fluid choices … good move. Just pick a conservative OCI for next round … both the lube and hardware can do that, go from there …
I'm going to do my new Z71 at 5k and attach that info to Tahoe report/pictures …

How much do you figure you will be saving especially with the new AMSOIL gear lube squeeze bottles? No funnels, no tubes, no mess....

Clean fluid is always a good thing regardless of brand. So as long as the ST is changed at a reasonable interval it's more than fine. Anything would be.

Amsoil is fine but it's designed to be run for a long time at an added cost up-front to make the end-cost work out to be less than more frequent changes over a longer period of time.

It is quite capable but the problem is no one uses it that way. Folks either balk at the price because they don't intend to run it to the limit where there would be a cost benefit, or they run it and balk at the cost because they choose to dump it early.
21.gif

(Not aimed at you OP, just making a comment)

Last edited:
True … but tougher head to head in differential lubes than motor oil … several gear oils are long range for a low cost …

I'm an avid user of ST fluids!

Both of the brand new (in 2017) cars in the driveway have supertech engine oil. My subaru will be getting supertech gear oil (75w90) in the transdiff and rear differential soon enough.

My F-350 has ST high mileage in the engine, ST mercon V in the manual trans and transfer case and ST gear oil.

The Cherokee has ST Dex VI in the trans and TCase and a mix of ST gear oil and muddy water in the differentials.

Originally Posted by 4WD
True … but tougher head to head in differential lubes than motor oil … several gear oils are long range for a low cost …

Ask the off-roading community using Amsoil which lube is tougher. They have had Diff's break using other fluids. I'm sure there are other fluids capable but they aren't as readily available as Amsoil for these applications. Now this is different from your everyday vehicle that won't see these kinds of extreme pressures so it's not really required but for those that won't a top-rate gear fluid Sever Gear is it IMO.

Now the motor oils are a different story. If the plan is to change at 10K or less than the cost benefit of Amsoil isn't there. If your goal is to reduce oil changes while still having great protection along the way then Amsoil works out to be less expensive than shelf-oils changed more frequently. Which is why I use it. Less aggravation getting under the vehicle and excellent protection. I will be running my Caravan as long as safely possible according to the UOA on the oil otherwise I would be changing the oil every 6-8 weeks!
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Supertech is good. Amsoil makes some of the best gear fluid available today. Like StevieC stated it's pricey though. Enjoy your new ride Buck91!

I've used Supertech 75w140 in the Dana 44 in my JK since about 30k miles, and changed it out every 36k or so. It comes out looking pretty good. I tow and off-road quite a bit, so I think this fluid works as advertised. I've also run 75w 90 in the front. It is excellent gear lube, IMO. It will go into my JL's diffs at the appropriate time, too.

As for diffs breaking, I don't know how the lube would contribute to that. The off-roading community puts huge tires on light duty axles/differentials and then pump loads of power through them, then while off road, they experience shock loads as a spinning tire gains sudden traction and puts an enormous shock load on the axle shaft. I've never heard of even the cheapest dino gear lube being the cause of those kinds of breakages.

I did, however, once do a deep water crossing in my YJ, which caused water to intrude into the breather hose. It was just a table spoon, or so, but I didn't know it was in there. After a 1,000 mile highway run, it turned the Mobil 1 gear lube that was in it at the time into a milky goo that then failed to lube the ring and pinion. That wasn't the fault of the lube, though. It was the water. (Lesson learned. I avoid deep water, and when I do get into it, I change the diff fluids, whether or not I see evidence of water, or not. Supertech makes that easy because it is high quality synthetic and it is cheap.)

Last edited:
Some people just love to open their wallets to worried and weary minds. I read these posts in wonder of fascination. What makes you all tick?

As my handle implies I'm a former HD off-roadie … I don't modify them much anymore but still get a bit dirty …

I have some (young engineers) crazy level off-roadie types working for me … very modified … they use Delvac 1 or
Mobil 1 in the 140 grade … notice the price jump … it's the PAO version …
I use the lighter D1 … not full PAO … don't matter to me …
Delvac is the stuff 18 wheelers run for hundreds of thousands of miles …
Amsoil is not the only good gear oil …

Avid offroader, here.

I've blown up and seen many diferentials blow up on the trail. The only way lube has any play in it is if there isn't any or it's extremely full of water.

It doesn't matter what gear oil you have, if you put too much torque through the differential with both wheels jammed in a rock or you shock load it, you're losing an axle shaft or going to chip a tooth on the ring/pinion. Or your carrier pin is going to fail. Or the carrier is going to flex and break.

IndyFan it reduces heat drastically which makes metal more prone to chipping and this debris causing parts to break. It also provides quite the film strength to keep metal parts separated. Spend some time in the off-roading forums. You would be surprised at what it does.

Last edited:
I spend a lot of time on off roading forums; the brand of gear oil has no impact on whether or not a differential is going to wear out or blow up.

It does not affect the metallurgy and the weak points of a differential.

If you gear a dana 30 to 5.13 and shock load it, it's going to chip the pinion gear. Doesn't matter if you're running the most expensive Amsoil gear oil or the cheapest supertech 80w90

Assuming the setup is right and the pressures aren't ridiculously out of the norm the fluid can in fact make a difference. They wouldn't use it otherwise.

Originally Posted by StevieC
IndyFan it reduces heat drastically which makes metal more prone to chipping and this debris causing parts to break. It also provides quite the film strength to keep metal parts separated. Spend some time in the off-roading forums. You would be surprised at what it does.

I'm not only on a bunch of off road forums, I'm an off roader. LOTS of miles of brutality on my Jeeps plus towing. Never an issue with any good quality diff lube, including Supertech. I'm sure Amsoil is great. I don't believe, however, that it can make a light duty diff/axle any stronger than it would be with any properly spec'ed gear lube. I do believe, however, there are benefits to the Amsoil that contribute to long term durability. I do believe it is a superior product, but just not enough for me to buy it at this point when I'm getting great service from what I'm using. Supertech has never led to a failure on any of my Jeeps.

Others would disagree. I would talk to those that have used it and seen the benefit of the extreme pressure it can stand up to and the reduced temperatures. I know it does really well in diff's where folks are towing heavy loads long distances. My uncle is using it and every other fluid he would use would smell really bad and have globules come out with it at change time. Not so with the Severe Gear we tried. Just FWIW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back