New GDi, no more tailpipe soot

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Just an observation

Every last one of our GDi equipped vehicles before the Sportage emitted copious amounts of soot from new. It would coat the rear bumpers and resulted in black tailpipes between cleanings. Our current Santa Fe Sport 2.0T (a 2013 bought in 2012) still does.

Next door to us lives my wife's aunt and cousin. One bought a new Santa Fe 2.4 and the other, a new Tucson 2.0. Along with my Sportage, ive noticed neither of these vehicles is emitting nearly as much, if any noticeable soot. I don't know the car cleaning habits of another neighbor but their Acuras (a white MDX and an RDX) are free of soot as well. I wonder why this is and if others have the same experience.

Last edited:
RDX is turbo 2.0 direct Injection. MDX is 3.5 V6 direct Injection.

Last edited:
No spot on my bumper, but the tailpipe is black. I've noticed if I look in the mirror at night and floor it to pass someone, sometimes I get a little black smoke
crackmeup2.gif

I have a 2012 Mazda3 Skyactiv. I gave up on trying to keep the chrome tip on the tailpipe shiny. My car is white and the cutout in the rear bumper gets stained, though, it comes clean with the Meguiar's cleaner wax that has been my go-to paint protection since the 1980s. Doesn't bother me at all.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
No spot on my bumper, but the tailpipe is black. I've noticed if I look in the mirror at night and floor it to pass someone, sometimes I get a little black smoke
crackmeup2.gif

^ this! I have a 2011 Kia Optima with the 2.4 GDI. I have never owned a car where the tailpipe end is continuously black and sooty. Don't get me wrong, I love the car. We have not had any problems with it since new in January 2012.

Our 2017 2.3 EB Explorer doesn't show signs of soot staining on the rear bumper even though the exhaust pipe is flush with the rear bumper. While the actual exhaust pipe is darker than our port injected Fords, it's not a heavy soot at all.

Whimsey

It would be interesting if there is long term testing done to verify if there is indeed greater soild emmissions generated by GDI.

Originally Posted by Smokescreen
Mini coal rollers....lol

Not exclusive territory to GDI either. A performance-tuned Port-Injected engine will fog pretty good. If I've been babying the Jeep and then stuff it she blows a pretty good fog for a bit.

When I bought my Tucson in July it had some dry soot in the tailpipe.
Now 1200 miles later no soot and the inside of the pipe has turned from black to dark gray.
It was a rental vehicle for its first year and 13K miles and I suspect it was driven hard at times.
My driving style is pretty gentle, rarely going over 2500 rpm

My 2015 Malibu is a 2.0 Turbo direct injected, we have been happy with it. We are 45000ish miles no soot. When you lay into it you do get some smoke, but then again with tune in the WS6 you get some too.

My 2012 bmw 228i with thendirect injected turbo 2.0 would soot the tailpipe quickly. Never saw black smoke but the soot was always there.

My dual injected Tacoma has not had any evidence of soot deposits 12500 miles.
I guesse it depends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back