ISO 5011/SAE J726 test of Duramax Air Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
i dont mean to offend anyone with this, but i think too many people on here are paranoid about k&n's.

when my engine dies, it will be because i broke the crank from beating on it too much or i will blow a head because it got too hot. it wont die on me because i ran a k&n and let a minute amount of dirt through.

a paper filter costs 25 to 30 dollars depending where you go for my truck. the k&n only cost 50. it doesn't take too many miles to make the k&n look like a bargain. and the k&n for my truck has a better seal on the intake tube. it uses a hose clamp to make a very tight seal. the paper filters just slide on.

and whoever says that k&n's give no performance gains, they are wrong. i put the paper filter that i had in my truck before the k&n was installed and i took note of how much boost i could get. then i put the k&n in, which had 8,000 miles on it and has never been cleaned, and i could consistently get an extra pound of boost. that is a lot when your talking about a truck that makes only 10 pounds of boost.

this is not directed towards anybody in particular, i am just stating my opinion.

I did misread your post T-Keith, did not mean to offend you either.

Because alot of vehicle UOA with K&N filters showed qual results to paper, and some showed only marginal differences, i still feel that a cotton guaze is a better choice based on the sturdy construction of the filter. (I know that you have had one fall apart) but paper ones have also fell apart.

Any dirt that gets through the filter will accelerate engine wear, even fine dust. It sticks to the cylinder walls which are lightly coated with oil, and I'd assume it may accelerate wear to the valve seats/stems/guides over time. It doesn't simply just go right through the engine and out the exhaust. That's one reason why bore wash was much more of a problem from yester-years as filter boxes and filters themselves did not seal up as well as todays modern plastics/polyurethane moldings. That's my take. Although I too have used and seen too many of my friends use very old/crappy K&N style filters on engines that were taken to redline at least 10 times on a daily basis, and never a problem with oil consumption or compression.
dunno.gif
Perhaps we should all find something else to obsses over.
lol.gif

A few weeks ago Arlen (SPICER) sent me copies of the original ISO 5011 Filter Test reports received from Ken at Testand. The data from these reports has been complied and formatted into the following html file. The report includes Bar Graphs, Plots and Data Tables

ISO 5011 Duramax Air Filter Test Report

(takes a few minutes to completely load with a dialup connection)

smile.gif

Great Job! The graphs really make it easier to read.

The Accumulative Capacity test really opened up my eyes, and the Dirt Passed Versus Total Test Time really clears up some misconceptions about oiled cotton filters.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by edwardh1:
one of the best seems to be the "no brand"
what was it?

We're not sure of the brand ... IIRC one of the guys had bought a quantity of surplus filters that were designed for the gas trucks and donated one for the test. It was the same size as the diesel version but had less pleats. (The duramax air box is the same size as the gas trucks but the diesel filter is heavier and has more pleats).

smile.gif

Probablly a FRAM! Wouldnt that be funny? These results still dont suprise me in any way. When i look at an AC DELCO for my car i can see that its the best choice. It has the most pleats, a really wide seal and it fits in the air box so tighly compared to others. They have a great oil filter too! GM uses a good supplier.

Air filters for the Dodges from Cummins are around $15. I'm looking at trying to use a large oiled foam filter as a pre filter for the stock paper filters, as the paper filters do end up with lots of dirt caked on them. The newer ones have a layer of foam on top of the pleats, which is nice as without the foam the filter area was defeated by the layer of crud.

Hello members. My name is Arlen Spicer and I am the one who "orchestrated" this air filter study. Most everything you need to know about me, the study and why I did it is in the final study on dieselplace.com.

I joined this forum because I have gotten a lot out of bobistheoilguy.com in terms of useful information. In fact, the air filter study done by a member and published here inspired my study. I am here for you to ask any questions you would like. SPICER

One year later, not a single question for Spicer?

This study is the most illuminating piece of fact separating marketing fiction, to have come along in the automotive world since electronic ignition. I would just love to have 1% of KN's marketing budget.

If there is one conclusion you should draw, it is this: There are companies that will spend an awful lot of money to convince you to buy something you don't need, and can't benefit from.

...and yes, my sceptical friends, dirt shortens engine life. But worse, $300 for that priviledge is a bit too much to pay.
smile.gif

$300 for a K&N filter?!?!?! I hope that's just a typo as I've never seen a K&N air filter for an automotive application cost even half of that.

You want a company that likes to spend money convincing you to buy unnecessary/worthless products? Ever heard of something called the Tornado?

And I still like my K&N cone filter just fine, no matter how many "tests" on them I read.

Regarding the AC-Delco Air filters for the Duramax application, where can you buy them most reasonably (checking for a Duramax buddy)?

Does anyone know if they make an AC-Delco A/F for an '03 Dodge/Cummins?

Thanks.

Joe Fihn

Well this is quite the old topic but since it was
ressurected I do have a couple questions..

In the test was the NEW amsoil filter an
Amsoil EA filter?

Did anyone else notice the graph for
dirt passed vs time was out of wack..
it added the dirt passed in grams to the
time of test in minutes...

IE the 20min amsoil test was 23 on the graph
because it passed 2.73g of dirt..
the 24min K&N test was 31min on the graph
because it passed 7g of dirt...

Also since the ac delco had 6+ restriction
it was tested out to 16+ restriction
while the K&N was only tested out to 14+ restriction... hardly seems fair.

Joe,

I just bought some AC A1618C air filiters for my Duramax from DieselFiltersOnLine . Their price+shipping was the lowest I found. I bough the last batch from www.Gmpartsdirect.com (their price is good but shipping is high)

Also, I don't have any info on AC filters for the Dodge …
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rand,

Answers to your questions & comments are as follows:

quote:

In the test was the NEW amsoil filter an Amsoil EA filter?

No, the new AMSOIL filter had not yet been introduced at the time of the test.

quote:

Did anyone else notice the graph for dirt passed vs time was out of wack.. it added the dirt passed in grams to the time of test in minutes..

You are correct, the scale at the left of the graph it is adding the two values - total grams of dirt passed and time to restriction. However the point of the stacked column graph is to show the relative differences between the various filters in terms of dirt loading and time to max restriction.. (I should probably edit the file to remove the 0-60 on the scale since it's not relevant. There are a few other grammatical errors I've meaning to correct as well.)

quote:

Also since the ac delco had 6+ restriction it was tested out to 16+ restriction while the K&N was only tested out to 14+ restriction... hardly seems fair.

This was a completely objective, standardized test with no agenda to make one filter look better than another.

Quoting From the report,

"The Capacity and Efficiency test report presents the test results of feeding an initially clean filter with PTI Course Test Dust (dirt) at a constant rate and airflow. The course test dust has a specific distribution of particle sizes ranging from less than 2.5 microns to greater than 80 microns (see table below). Every filter is initially tested at 350 CFM and the Initial Restriction or differential pressure across the filter is recorded in IN-H20 (Inches of Water). The filter is then tested by feeding test dust at a nominal rate of 9.8 grams per minute with a constant airflow of 350 CFM. The test is continued until the flow restriction exceeds the Initial Restriction + 10 IN-H20. At this point the test is terminated and the amount dust passed through the filter - Accumulative Gain - is measured."

So, the test is stopped when the restriction reaches the initial restriction + 10 IN-H20. Initial restriction for the K&N was 4.54 while the AC was 6.23. Hence, the AC was stopped at 16.23 and the K&N at 14.54.

smile.gif

[ April 07, 2006, 05:57 AM: Message edited by: Bill Plock ]

Just to bring this valuable thread up to date:

The original Amsoil filter used for this test in 2004 was most likely the Wix regular paper filter they resell.
They now have new patented nanotechnology paper filter, which offers much better flow and filtering performance then any filter listed here.
Please see the site below for technical details:
https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulle...75_rev2_06.pdf

I am switching away from oil coated filters and found this thread most useful to confirm my findings about paper filters better filtering performance than gause coated counterparts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back