Supertech Syn in new tgdi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any experiences? Thinking that many d1g2 oils are very close in performance and this is a darn good deal at wal mart. Thinking of trying st a 5k oci in the car listed below. Thoughts?

Does it meet Honda's HT specification like HT-06 for high temperature Turbo Operation? I imagine it would perform fine being D1G2, but if it's not officially certified you might have a warranty headache should you need a Turbo replacement.

Specs on Honda Oil that they recommend for your application: http://shop.sclubricants.com/honda-ultimate-fs-0w-20 (Scroll down)

Detailed Product Description
Honda Genuine Ultimate Full Synthetic Motor Oils are premium quality, full-synthetic engine oils designed to provide maximum engine protection for Honda and Acura vehicles under all operating conditions. They surpass Honda and Acura requirements to further minimize harmful engine deposits and maximize fuel economy. Honda motor oils are tested and approved by Honda R&D.

Honda Genuine Ultimate Full Synthetic Motor Oil is formulated with synthetic base stocks that provide enhanced performance benefits compared with conventional engine oils. These benefits include improved protection against viscosity breakdown and deposit formation at high temperatures; lower volatility for reduced oil consumption; and faster oil circulation at low temperatures for easier starting and better protection during cold starts.

Honda Genuine Ultimate Full Synthetic Motor Oil exceeds API SN and ILSAC GF-5 performance requirements for gasoline engines. It is "Resource Conserving" for improved fuel economy and protection of emissions system catalysts. The SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade also meets Honda HTO-06 requirements for protection of turbocharged engines such as on the RDX.

Applications

Honda and Acura vehicles
Honda Genuine Ultimate Full Synthetic Motor Oil exceeds the requirements of:

Honda HTO-06 specification for turbocharged engines (SAE 5W-30 only)
ILSAC GF-5
API Service SN with Resource Conserving
Features/Benefits

Specially developed for Honda and Acura vehicles
Full-synthetic formulation for enhanced performance benefits compared with conventional engine oils
Outstanding resistance to viscosity and thermal breakdown at high temperatures
Outstanding low-temperature pumpability for protection during cold starts
Excellent protection against high-temperature deposits in turbocharged engines (SAE 5W-30)
Protects against sludge and varnish formation
Helps to reduce wear for longer engine protectionLow volatility for reduced oil consumption
Exceeds new car warranty requirements as defined by ILSAC GF-5
Resource Conserving for improved fuel economy and emissions system protection
Tested and approved by Honda R&D

Last edited:
Thanks. Owners manual recommends 0w20 API rated oil. No mention of HTO. HTO is a daily old spec and thinking most, if not all sn+/d1g2 oils could meet the spec.

Originally Posted by BTLew81
Thanks. Owners manual recommends 0w20 API rated oil. No mention of HTO. HTO is a daily old spec and thinking most, if not all sn+/d1g2 oils could meet the spec.

But they say they recommend Honda Genuine Oil. On the back of this oil it does list the HT-06 spec. That is what I was getting at.
smile.gif

Just didn't want there to be issues with your Turbo etc.

I believe Idemitsu is the factory fill - why not run that?
It's superb.

UD

Not sure who the first is. Steve, the 5w30 is the only grade that carries HTO. The owners manual is so generic. I'm not running 0w20 in this engine so perhaps I will look for an HTO certified oil.

HT-06 is a Honda/Acura specification for oil that it meets their High Temperature Turbo requirements which can be in excess of 700c according to the spec. I doubt you would have issues with a D1G2 oil that doesn't call out this spec officially, but with Turbo's being expensive and warranty sometimes being a headache it's something you might want to make sure you are sure on is all I was getting at.

I mean there is lots of oils to be had on sale that would meet the specification for the same price as Supertech sort of thing, I would imagine.

cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BTLew81
Not sure who the first is. Steve, the 5w30 is the only grade that carries HTO. The owners manual is so generic. I'm not running 0w20 in this engine so perhaps I will look for an HTO certified oil.

Why not run 0W-20 if that is what the manual recommends?

As the OP said, owners manual for this vehicle does not mention HTO-06.
Honda 0w-20 does not claim to meet HTO-06.

Several brands of 5W-30 claim to meet HTO-06. An incomplete list.

Mobil 1 5W-30 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil
Castrol EDGE 5W-30 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor
Kendall® GT-1 Dexos1 Full Synthetic Motor Oil SAE 5W-30
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 full syn with Pureplus
United Synthetic Passenger Car Motor Oil 5w-20, 5w-30

One 0w-20 that claims to meet HTO-06
Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 with PurePlus

Owners manual recommends
"
Genuine Honda Motor Oil
Premium grade 0w-20 detergent oil with an API Certification Seal on the container."

"You may also use synthetic motor oil if it is labeled with the API Certification Seal and is the specified viscosity grade."

Conclusion: There are choices. Not necessary to use Honda Brand.

Give a PP5w30 a try. It's really thin for 30 weight and with current rollback/MIR will be cheaper than ST. I'm running 5w30 in my 1.5Civic (not this nonsense HONDA FS of course)

Man, every single post of yours is about "potential" warranty issues. How many of those you have had that makes talk about it all the time?

Originally Posted by parshisa
Man, every single post of yours is about "potential" warranty issues. How many of those you have had that makes talk about it all the time?

It only takes one my friend...
10.gif

Well, I get it. But it completely defeats the purpose of this forum then. If everyone would follow what manual says due to "potential warranty issues" what's the point of being on here and even more what's the value of such comments? Makes 0 sense to me

PP 0w20
  • GTL base stock
  • Meets HTO-06
  • Meets D1G2
  • Meets SN+
  • Only $2.68-$12.68 for a 5-quart depending on which rebate you go with

The choice is clear.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dave1251
Supertech is a good choice. Grade is up to you.

This. No need for any specs or approvals not listed in the owner's manual.

Originally Posted by parshisa
Well, I get it. But it completely defeats the purpose of this forum then.
Quite the contrary, but that would require you to open your mindset and expand your perspective.

Many/most here have at least one vehicle in the shed that is out of warranty, so OEM manual constraints don't apply, if only because there's no warranty to honor at that point.

Also, some don't care about the warranty but those are fewer and farther between.
Originally Posted by parshira
If everyone would follow what manual says due to "potential warranty issues" what's the point of being on here and even more what's the value of such comments? Makes 0 sense to me
The comment is quite valuable as a reminder that the recommendation is outside of OEM spec and there is a level of importance in pointing that out.

Most here, but not all, would like to maintain the warranty that was included with their vehicle purchase.

If you're not one of those, that's fine too. Just be aware that others have reached a different conclusion that is also valid and have a little respect for what it is.

Looking forward to your response!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back