Fluid Change on Chrysler 9 speed (ZF) trans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can the fluid in this transmission be easily changed? Vehicle in question is a 2017 Pacifica with the ZF 9 speed. I know it recommends special ZF fluid. Do these come with a dipstick or some means of checking fluid level after drain and fill?

Last edited:
Can the digital instrument panel display be used for obtaining trans fluid temp?

It displays oil and trans fluid temp, among other things.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
Can the digital instrument panel display be used for obtaining trans fluid temp?

Does it display the actual temp of the transmission? You need the actual temp.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

Does it display the actual temp of the transmission? You need the actual temp.

Yes, it reports back a number. Same with coolant temp, oil temp and oil pressure.

Yes. Sorry didn't realize you had that read-out in your EVIC, in my Caravan the trans temperature is missing so I have to use my ScanGauge or Scantool for it.

In my Grand Caravan I just used a cheap infrared thermometer to measure the oil pan temp as well as the aluminum casing around to get an idea of the temperature. If I remember correctly It was around 170F + or - few degrees depending where I pointed the meter after about half an hour of driving during summer. If you read the requirement, there is quite a generous allowance for min and max readings. Most recommendations that I have read is to try and aim the level somewhere in the middle of that range.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
If you read the requirement, there is quite a generous allowance for min and max readings. Most recommendations that I have read is to try and aim the level somewhere in the middle of that range.

That's how I do it on my other Pacifica with 62TE trans. I've driven enough vehicles with trans temp readouts to make an educated guess that after about 10 minutes of driving the trans temp should be around 140*F give or take. Ambient temp plays a factor of course, but there is plenty of wiggle room for error.

Nice that the newer vehicles have the digital readout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back