Throttle frozen after sitting a few months

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image]

2004 Saturn Ion. I go to jump start it and notice the gas pedal won't move. Find the throttle plate is frozen. Would some WD40 free it up? Car was running fine 3 months ago.

First I've heard of this. It is completely seized? How hard have you tried to move it? Does the engine turn over ok?

Me too. Had cars sit 5 years and no such issues. Tried to move as hard as possible without risk of breaking the plastic part. Engine turns over a little slow but battery is weak.

Kroil should help with corrosion as well as cutting through the carbon. Maybe a little spray and let it sit for a while. Be careful around plastic and sensors, though.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by maxdustington
I would try an ultrasonic cleaner, personally.

With the electrical sensors?
I didn't notice those. Just use alcohol!

It's probably the carbon doing it, you're not supposed to use carb cleaner on these but at this point what do you have to lose?

Originally Posted by dishdude
It's probably the carbon doing it, you're not supposed to use carb cleaner on these but at this point what do you have to lose?

What do you mean carbon? Does it form from just sitting? It was fine when I parked it.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by dishdude

What do you mean carbon? Does it form from just sitting? It was fine when I parked it.

Unless it's a shadow, it looks like there's a huge amount of carbon around the throttle plate. Would love to see the bottom.

If the sensors are removable, I'd just stick it in a small bucket and pour in some carburetor cleaner, they sell it in liquid form in a pail, let it soak for 15 minutes and scrub it up with an old toothbrush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back