Auto Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been happy with Safeco but my independent agent is checking to see if any other carriers offer better rates. The Club Sport is insured by Hagerty on an agreed value policy. The only company I wouldn't consider is Geico due to their war on radar detectors.

We have Esurance. We have very good (numbers wise) coverage for less than what anyone else quoted. Nice that I can manage everything online too. I don't see us switching anytime soon.

Originally Posted by Oily_Thing
...and go after the other person's insurance company automatically for free to subrogate.

Is that anything out of the ordinary with a "good" insurance company ? After the accident I mentioned above, our insurance "took over". They got us a rental car, told us to go buy two new car seats for the kids, etc. We submitted receipts as we went and they mailed reimbursement checks for each. Some insurance companies will make you hold all of your receipts and submit them all together and get reimbursed in a lump sum. Forgot a receipt or had an add'l expense ? Too bad.... They also processed the claim on the van (it was totaled as mentioned above) and sent us the check for the value. They did remove our deductible amount from that check but when the claim was finally settled a long time later, we got that $500 back too. They subrogated everything that they paid out to us. They are OUR insurance company and even though we weren't at fault, they took care of us.

If you live in Lousy-ana, prepare for unpleasant experiences in insurance as well as everything else. I see the OP lives in New Jersey, though.

Companies like The General, Amica, and Ameriprise don't operate in this benighted state, and I don't qualify for USAA. I recently went with Flo's Company, reducing my coverage and raising my deductibles to a give me a "decent" rate: $583 for 6 months, or a hair under $100 a month. For a long time I was with AAA, but their rates have recently soared too, along with the Lizard People's.

Retired Army Officer here. I used to use USAA for everything until they started substantially raising my rates a couple of years ago. My spouse and I have never been in a vehicle accident. I started looking for other vendors and found a Progressive was much cheaper for the same level of coverage.

I've since moved all of my insurances over to Progressive and save hundreds per year. Best of luck in your search.

We have auto owners for house, autos, umbrella. When we went through the process this past spring, Auto Owners and Progressive were nearly identical in coverage and pricing. We went with Auto Owners as they have been rated higher in customer service. Had nationwide and state farm previously. Always had good service but they each started getting expensive.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Insurance (auto) companies use a myriad of factors in determining rates for someone. Who is cheaper for me may not be the case for you.

You might want to go to an independent agent - they can quote you rates from multiple carriers. I think they usually only carry 1-2 big name companies and then multiple lesser-known carriers though so they can't get you rates from a lot of names you may be familiar with. Being a familiar name doesn't mean they're "good" either though.

One comment my independent agent made to me a long time ago was this: "Consider sticking to an insurance company that doesn't spend your premiums on TV commercials".

This. The best value may be the less known company with the stronger financial rating.
Find a good independent agent that handles the local and regional carriers. You probably will pay less than you would with SF or Flo.

I compare every couple of years and nobody comes close to Progressive's rates. They took good care of us when some DF ran a red light and totaled my wife's Mitsubishi. They even straightened out a typo error between the dealership and the DMV. The other guy had State Farm and even the tow truck driver groaned about that. Seems they treat THEIR customers well, but not the people who are filing the claim. Took 6 months to work out an agreement. The State Farm claims agent would not return multiple phone calls.

I finally had to get Progressive RE-involved and went over the State Farm claim agent's head and got a supervisor involved. THEN stuff started happening and reasonable offers started coming. It only took one other phone call to get what I wanted in the first place.

Totally unnecessary.

Originally Posted by chainblu
The other guy had State Farm and even the tow truck driver groaned about that. Seems they treat THEIR customers well, but not the people who are filing the claim. Took 6 months to work out an agreement. The State Farm claims agent would not return multiple phone calls.

I finally had to get Progressive RE-involved and went over the State Farm claim agent's head and got a supervisor involved. THEN stuff started happening and reasonable offers started coming. It only took one other phone call to get what I wanted in the first place.

Totally unnecessary.

That's the way State Farm has operated for decades; they were terrible to deal with when I was in private practice back in the '80s. They would nickel and dime the body shop of the opposing party to a ridiculous degree- for example, in one case State Farm's insured ran a friend off the road causing him to sideswipe a utility pole. The passenger door was totally flattened, but the adjuster wouldn't let the body shop order new internal parts for the door until it was completely disassembled and the adjuster verified that the parts weren't "reusable/repairable." And don't get me started on the personal injury side of things.

Geico asks me 100 nosey questions but is cheap. They also don't seem to like me adding and deleting cars every few months-- my online change gets queued for manual review.

They ask how many miles I drive, what the primary car is I drive, what my primary purpose is, match 3 cars to 2 drivers. OK, so now that I'm adding a car, what car do I think will see reduced miles, etc.

Seems like a trap to catch me in a lie so they can deny payment. For example I ride a van pool most of the time but am 58 miles from work. I answered two questions truthfully-- what's my annual mileage, and how far am I from work? They did not like the answer!

"Flo" cared a lot less but inched my rates up (no accidents/ tickets) because they thought I was complacent.

When I picked up my Mustang in late 2002, State Farm is the only company that would insure me at a "reasonable" price. I didn't have any violations on my record.
I've been with them since and they've been very good. I dented one other person's vehicle since then (who's fault remains in dispute) and they've been fine,
Sure, the return on investment has probably been $25,000/$400, but that's the way insurance works for most people.

i've decided to go with State Farm. They are actually ranked #6 in auto insurance. Thank you all.

It's all a game in terms of what your premium costs will be. After being with Allstate for over 20yrs, I bounced around to Liberty Mutual, then two subsidiaries of them, then back to Allstate. What I've found is, I got quoted very different pricing from these companies between their 1-800 numbers, a local agent or a broker. The premium offer I got through a local Allstate agent was much less than quoted from their 1-800 number. Problem is, after 3-4yrs, it's gone up 50%.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JTK
It's all a game in terms of what your premium costs will be. After being with Allstate for over 20yrs, I bounced around to Liberty Mutual, then two subsidiaries of them, then back to Allstate. What I've found is, I got quoted very different pricing from these companies between their 1-800 numbers, a local agent or a broker. The premium offer I got through a local Allstate agent was much less than quoted from their 1-800 number. Problem is, after 3-4yrs, it's gone up 50%.

So it's better to get a quote through agent?

Originally Posted by painfx
Originally Posted by SirTanon
If you have any military in your history, look into USAA. Absolutely the best insurance you can get. It's what I have and no way am I changing.

i saw on youtube a gentleman had USAA for long time. However, he did some research that they were actually the most expensive out of the choices were given: Progressive and Geiko.

Cheaper is not always better. For the relatively small discount you'd get if you went with Progressive or Geico, you'd get poorer service, more run-around, more frequent denials, etc..

My most recent experience with them is pretty much all I need to realize how great they are. I got rear-ended on the highway and called them to report the accident and file a claim while still on the highway. Gave them the other guy's insurance info, described the damage etc.. and they had me set up with a local body shop before I got off the call. 10 days later, I had my car back, good as new, and didn't have to fork over a dime. Even got full rental coverage the entire time for free.

When I had Progressive, many years ago, and got rear-ended, they tried to claim it was my fault and denied coverage.

We Have Meemic.....hands down the best I've dealt with so far.

Had AAA for years...great service, just started getting very pricey over a few years......

I never had a problem with USAA. Be aware that they don't operate in California. They merely license their name to someone else. I wouldn't be surprised if they do that in another couple of states.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back