What Ryzen would be a good fit for a Vega

Status
Not open for further replies.
What Ryzen would you pair with a Vega 56 or Vega 64?

I am pretty sure my Ryzen 3 1200 would be a bottle neck for one of those cards.

Also, I will be upgrading to an X470 motherboard -- my X370 ASRock mITX is failing and will be replaced, RMA'd then sold.

If a Ryzen 5 would be good, might even look at a B450.

Thanks.

I agree fastest you can afford. I will also add what games do you play? CPU is rarely holding back most games now, its the GPU when you get to certain screen rates.

If you have not bought the video card yet I would get the 64 and then fastest 2000 series Ryzen you can afford after.

And unless you are going to run dual video cards the B450 seems like a great chipset if you get a premium board version with it. I'll also probably get a B450 board when I upgrade.

It depends on what games you are playing. But a Ryzen 5 1600, 5 2600, 7 1700, or 7 2700x should all be an awesome option for gaming with a Vega card. I currently have a Ryzen 1700 with a Vega 64 and have nothing but praise for the thing. I would probably recommend thinking about doing some minor overclocking if you go with a 1700 or 1600.

If you are comfortable letting the CPU overclock itself, go for either the 2600x or 2700x.

I have the 2600x and wasn't happy with the supplied cooler. Found a cooler someone was selling from their 2700x and load temps dropped 15 degrees. Plus it looks like a disco dance floor. All of this is moot if you already having a cooling solution.

Get a 2700x and you are set for the next several years when video card tech improves. Currently have a 2700x with a GTX 1060 6GB on a B350 mobo and when the time comes I'll get a higher end card.

I've never had luck piecing together a PC with eyes to upgrade in the future. Maybe get a fast CPU and use onboard graphics for a month or so until I got a big daddy video card then those parts stay together until they are obsolete.

The build an entire new system. As fast as busses, chipsets, sockets change, you will surely be just chasing bottlenecks with a single upgrade here and there over time.

Save up what you can. I use userbenchmarks.com to compare parts and prices. Pick the most performance you can get for the price you have set and be happy.

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
I've never had luck piecing together a PC with eyes to upgrade in the future.

That's because Intel started playing their garbage reindeer games by requiring a new motherboard chipset with each new processor release.

At least with the x470 and new Ryzens, the motherboard is going to be good for another CPU version upgrade or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back