Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering if anyone has tried the Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP 3. Not many reviews, came out in 2017. Supposed to be better than prior versions. Going on the 03 Maxima.

Will you be using dedicated winter tires? Or does winter performance matter for the tires you will be buying?

Anyway, Uniroyal tires aren't that good, even for their price range. Even Walmart's Douglas tires (made by Goodyear) are better than Uniroyal. Cooper, Hankook,and Falken also make good tires in that price category.

But if you need winter uability from your all-season tires, consider a 3-peak all-season "all weather" tire like the Nokian WRG4, Vredestein Quatrac 5, Goodyear Weatherready, or the Toyo Celsius

Originally Posted by wag123
Very good tires. AA rated. They are basically lower priced Michelins.

31.gif

Even though Uniroyal is owned by Michelin, that doesn't make them good tires. And they were even worse before Michelin bought them out.

Uniroyal (and BFG) aren't made the same as Michelin tires are, since Michelin makes their tires different than everybody else does. So you won't see Tiger Paws made in the same factory as Defenders, for example.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Will you be using dedicated winter tires? Or does winter performance matter for the tires you will be buying?

Anyway, Uniroyal tires aren't that good, even for their price range. Even Walmart's Douglas tires (made by Goodyear) are better than Uniroyal. Cooper, Hankook,and Falken also make good tires in that price category.

But if you need winter uability from your all-season tires, consider a 3-peak all-season "all weather" tire like the Nokian WRG4, Vredestein Quatrac 5, Goodyear Weatherready, or the Toyo Celsius

Its a spare car to save on gas. Just a decent affordable all season will do. This area of NH has horrible winter conditions (like right now). Assuming I won't get caught out in a storm, the car will sit in conditions like right now. The grades and corners are just too much for 2wd. Bet I would get stuck just backing out of the driveway that car is so low to the ground. Will use the Escalade. The tires I mentioned are $550 which includes mounting, lifetime road force balance, lifetime rotation, lifetime road hazard, and a 4 wheel alignment. The walmarts around me sell tires, but then I'm on my own for everything else. Sams club has a tire shop, but I don't see an affordable option like douglas.

Originally Posted by wag123
Very good tires. AA rated. They are basically lower priced Michelins.

31.gif

Even though Uniroyal is owned by Michelin, that doesn't make them good tires. And they were even worse before Michelin bought them out.

Uniroyal (and BFG) aren't made the same as Michelin tires are, since Michelin makes their tires different than everybody else does. So you won't see Tiger Paws made in the same factory as Defenders, for example.

What do you mean when you say "Michelin makes their tires different than everybody else does"?

Got a link with more information on that?

Originally Posted by LeakySeals

Its a spare car to save on gas. Just a decent affordable all season will do. This area of NH has horrible winter conditions (like right now). Assuming I won't get caught out in a storm, the car will sit in conditions like right now. The grades and corners are just too much for 2wd. Bet I would get stuck just backing out of the driveway that car is so low to the ground. Will use the Escalade. The tires I mentioned are $550 which includes mounting, lifetime road force balance, lifetime rotation, lifetime road hazard, and a 4 wheel alignment. The walmarts around me sell tires, but then I'm on my own for everything else. Sams club has a tire shop, but I don't see an affordable option like douglas.

What is your tire size?
smile.gif

Originally Posted by john_pifer
What do you mean when you say "Michelin makes their tires different than everybody else does"?

CapriRacer has mentioned it on here a few times, but I can't find the posts

31.gif

Not so. Some Michelin tires and all Uniroyal tires are manufactured in the same plant in Tuscaloosa Alabama. Some Michelin tires and all BF Goodrich tires are manufactured in the same plant in Fort Wayne/Woodburn Indiana (Woodburn is a suburb of Fort Wayne). The three brands differ a little bit in their design, but not in their overall quality. Raw materials, designers/engineers, production techniques, and production equipment will be the same, and the employees all get their pay checks from Michelin. Obviously Michelin is not going to sell products under the Uniroyal or BFG brands that outperform their own brand products for 1/3 less money, but that doesn't make them lower quality products.

That tire is mainly produced for Canada market very sparse and few in the US yet it is and was supposed to replace a couple different Uniroyal tires. To me it looks similar to the Continental Pro contact. Are they available where you live?
Uniroyal does me good tires I would not be afraid to purchase them don't let people on here scare you off .

What is your tire size?
smile.gif

Originally Posted by john_pifer

CapriRacer has mentioned it on here a few times, but I can't find the posts

Screenshot_20181122-091627_Chrome.jpg

Originally Posted by FordFocus
That tire is mainly produced for Canada market very sparse and few in the US yet it is and was supposed to replace a couple different Uniroyal tires. To me it looks similar to the Continental Pro contact. Are they available where you live?
Uniroyal does me good tires I would not be afraid to purchase them don't let people on here scare you off .

I attached a screenshot in the reply above. I like this place because they offer lifetime road force balance which has been a HUGE difference on the Escalade. There are a couple of tire/mechanical shops locally that claim to sell it. I'm going to take your advice and go ahead with it. I'll be the guinea pig and hopefully it's better than its predecessors.

Originally Posted by FordFocus

I attached a screenshot in the reply above. I like this place because they offer lifetime road force balance which has been a HUGE difference on the Escalade. There are a couple of tire/mechanical shops locally that claim to sell it. I'm going to take your advice and go ahead with it. I'll be the guinea pig and hopefully it's better than its predecessors.

OK, your tire size is 215/55-17

That place has the Kelly Edge and General G-Max AS-05 for not that much more. Either will be much better than the Uniroyals

OK, your tire size is 215/55-17
That place has the Kelly Edge and General G-Max AS-05 for not that much more. Either will be much better than the Uniroyals

I disagree. Personally, I would buy the Uniroyals (or Coopers for the same price) over Kellys or Generals for more money any day of the week.
The absolute WORST tires that I ever owned were Generals, three different sets of them on three different vehicles. Maybe they are better now days, but I would NEVER buy them. The Goodyears that I have owned weren't much better (Kellys are Goodyears).

I spoke with Sullivan Tire they said it's a new version made by Michelin. And that the old version are being discontinued. So I guess we'll see. I noticed they are aligning the yellow dot with the valve stem. Is that a good thing?

20181123_104106.jpg

20181123_104041.jpg

20181123_101725.jpg

I noticed they are aligning the yellow dot with the valve stem. Is that a good thing?

Yes. The installer is supposed to line the dot up with the valve stem on the wheel, either the yellow or red dot, whichever one is on the tire. If you see both a red as well as a yellow dot on the tire, the red dot takes priority.

Uniroyal Tiger paw came as OEM tires with 2006 Pontiac G6 and they were great tires.
Smooth quiet ride, good in snow and rain and got good mileage on them.

Its a spare car to save on gas. Just a decent affordable all season will do. This area of NH has horrible winter conditions (like right now). Assuming I won't get caught out in a storm, the car will sit in conditions like right now. The grades and corners are just too much for 2wd.

[Linked Image]

This is my w123 200d. The Mercedes w123 arguably is one of the worst cars to drive in winter - RWD and not very much weight on the rear axle.
This picture was take in the Austrian Alps, high above the Zillertal, at approx 1500m above sea level. The only way to get there is a very narrow serpentine road. Passing is only possible at certain spots, the grade is steep... still, I got there without much of a hassle. On very cheapish winter tyres. Did not even need chains...

On a paved road, there is no need for AWD. Never is.

PS: That picture was take twelve years ago. Winter tyres have gotten even better in the meantime.

Last edited:
A couple of thoughts:

1) Uniroyal in Europe is owned by Continental. In the US, it is owned by Michelin. They have an agreement NOT to sell their Uniroyal tires in the others territory - although the gray market exists!

2) In the US, Michelin also owns the Goodrich brand - and both the Goodrich and Uniroyal brand tires are made in formerly Goodrich and Uniroyal factories - not Michelin factories.

3) Yes, Michelin tires are different than virtually any other tire By comparison, Michelin has a very stiff tread area, and a very stiff bead area, with a very flexible upper sidewall. That sometimes requires some specialized equipment to make the tires. That also means that Goodrich and Uniroyal tires are like the other brands, not the Michelin brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back