High Mileage (75k+) oil in New car ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image]

New car (literally!) which specifies 0W20 or 5W20 -- any issue with using this* oil ?
Temperatures always over 20 C and most of the time over 30 C.

*Yes, it's one of the $10 clearance oils from Autozone.

Well. it's going to be the 'winter' oil for all Hondas next as I bought out one entire Autozone store inventory, They also had 1 Qt Mobil 10W30 Advanced Protection for $2/qt, bought out all of those also.

Have generators, lawnmowers, pressure washers, chippers so many other engines, in case I find some insurmountable obstacle for using this with cars and trucks.

Didn't even notice the weight. That would be more of a concern than the high mileage, although your temperatures aren't that cold. You could always mix some lighter oil in.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CT8
USA uses Fahrenheit.

...yet all my cars are programmed for kilometers and centigrade on their consoles, just as my homes are all wired for 240v systems, motors, pumps, all electrical systems ... in the USA
smile.gif

Originally Posted by jayg
Just buy some 0w20 and use that STP in other equipment you have. Get the right grade for warranty in case you have any issues.

No warranty will be voided with using a 30 where a 20 grade is recommended.

High Mileage oils are perfectly fine in brand new cars so long as it meets the current specs and vehicle specs.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by jayg
Just buy some 0w20 and use that STP in other equipment you have. Get the right grade for warranty in case you have any issues.

No warranty will be voided with using a 30 where a 20 grade is recommended.

The owner's manual specifies 0W20 and there is no reason to give them any leg to stand on if internal issues arise. There won't be issues BECAUSE of the oil choice but if there is a manufacturing defect, I wouldn't want to be in a position to say I used anything other than what is specified.

If you are in-warranty, I recommend using the specified grade unless dave1251 has provided you with a written agreement to warranty your engine.

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
Pat Goss says no. Unnecessarily swelling valve seals wears them out prematurely.

This video held weight when HM oils were API SL and non-HM oils API SN. Now, they are all API SN. And as such, must meet the requirements of SN. HM oils just have more seal conditioner but are still within limits for an SN spec'd oil.

Last edited:
For about the fifth time on this board. Pat is wrong, seals aren't swollen, they're conditioned. At least with Valvoline, HM is approved for all mileage cars. As far as STP, I can't remember who has the license. Used to be St. Louis blender J.D.Streett, but I think those days are over. Amalie? (Realize I can look this up, but too lazy, someone will tell me).

Originally Posted by henni
Originally Posted by CT8
USA uses Fahrenheit.

...yet all my cars are programmed for kilometers and centigrade on their consoles, just as my homes are all wired for 240v systems, motors, pumps, all electrical systems ... in the USA
smile.gif

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

How did 75K get to be high mileage?

Yes, back in the 1960's, cars with 75K were considered to be on the high side, and closing in on the real high mileage mark of 100K. But those days are long gone even for the least reliable cars built today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back