Tecumseh Snowblower and 0w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
wondering how my 1979 toro with tecumseh L-head would do on supertech 0w20? i have been running castrol 0w40 but wanted something to make it easier to start for my father. are the zddp levels too low in the 0w20? the reason i say these 2 oils is because that is what i have on hand from the vehicles i own. im pretty sure in the winter this machine doesnt even get the oil up to 212 at operating temperature. although i am sure there is a higher margin for fuel dilution with the 0w40. i am aware that i am overthinking this. thanks

Originally Posted by StevieC
I wouldn't go thinner in an application unless it was rated for it. You could do some serious damage to the engine.

This as well. Those Tecumseh engines are well known to throw connecting rods out the side of the block if they get starved for oil in the slightest.

i'm almost positive the manual for my old 1980 blower with 10 horse tecumseh engine stated 5w20 as an option.

Sold a 30+ year old Ariens 8hp that that had 10 30 dino for the ten years we had it. Did 5 changes in that time. Perhaps these air cooled engines that run in cold temps are less fussy with their oil as long as they run long enough to cook off condensation.

I remember that back in the 70's the snowblowers all spec'd 5w20. I believe that must have been Dino oil. Then at some point, and I don't remember what year, I could not find 5w20, and they changed the spec's to 5w30. That is what I have been using ever since for my own and all customers snowblowers.

Originally Posted by 147_Grain
Try 0W-30, it only should take about 1 quart.

That is exactly what I use in my snowblower.

Those older engines prefer a 30 grade oil so a 0W30 allows easier starting but keeps its 30 grade viscosity when the engine is hot.

0w20 would be fine, but monitor consumption. Like stated before, Tecumsehs will throw a rod if they starve for oil. I've run 0w20, 0w30, 5w30, 0w40, 5w40, etc in them with out any issues. The key is keeping the oil full. On an older machine, it may consume a 0w20, and if your father doesn't check the oil that could end badly. Also, for what it's worth I notice almost no difference pulling one over with 0w20 vs. 10w40. They are a bit tougher to pull over than a Briggs or Honda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back