Intake Valve Carbon cleaner on 2017 Kia Sportage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone!
I've got my lovely 2017 Kia Sportage 2.4 GDI engine with 30k miles on it and thinking about trying the product named CRC GDI IVD Intake Valve Carbon Cleaner.
I found here https://www.kia-forums.com/2016-sorento/268146-intake-valve-cleaner-2.html a guy on a similar KIA engine recommends applying it into the outlet hose from PCV which leads to that goes to the intake manifold.
Could you please look at the picture of my engine and advise if I got it right, I marked it with green 1 and red 2 on it
1. Outlet from PCV
2. Inlet into the intake manifold

Do I just spray the CRC cleaner into the hose #1 outlet which leads to the manifold?
Thx a lot for your help!

unnamed2.jpg

Don't. You don't want loose chunks of carbon in the combustion chamber. You have the potential to scratch up the cylinder bores, wear the piston rings out faster and cause added leak down compression.
Wait until you get 80K miles on the engine and do it the right way. It's easy to remove the intake manifold on that engine and do it right being a four cylinder.
You gotta remove the intake on some 2.4 Hyundai's to replace the starter anyways.

No only that... but it appears if you use that pcv plumbing you will heavily favor cylinder #1 and not do an adequate job on any of the other cylinders. At the very least, go through the throttle body.

Originally Posted by Tman220
No only that... but it appears if you use that pcv plumbing you will heavily favor cylinder #1 and not do an adequate job on any of the other cylinders. At the very least, go through the throttle body.

This ............... if you do

Toss a catch can on there. It's no real answer but foes cut down on the gunk going past those valves. I just dumped mine after 2000 miles and there was about 2 Oz of watery spuge in there. You don't have to change anything to put one on that car either just locate it on that flat spot left of the washer Bottle hooked on with a ball bungee . Pull the pvc hose off and stick it on the intake of the can . Then use a piece of fuel line to route to the ply fitting on the block. Make sure it stays clear of the alternator belt and you're in business. Don't use the cheap hose furnished with most if it's the typical hardware store pvc reinforced tubing, it'll suck flat instantly when running. If you have to take it in for warranty work just remove it and plugged original PVC hose back into the fitting.
No it won't cure I am days real engine problems ( spun crank bearings) but it'll help with the valve issue. Based on our experience having two of them you won't see us buying any more Hyundai's or Kias.

Thx everyone!
Decided to go to a dealer for cleaning & will get myself a catch can soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back