Can someone help read my plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

Amateur shade-tree mechanic here
eek.gif
. I changed the plugs on my 2007 E63 AMG this past weekend, the car has 63k miles and has been well-maintained. When pulling the plugs, I noticed some had some oil on the threads (cylinder #8 was probably the worst) - is that anything to worry about? The car is running very well, but these plugs don't look too healthy to me!

Thanks,
Cyrus

P.S. Sorry the plugs aren't in any specific order.

IMG-9291.JPG

IMG-9292.JPG

IMG-9293.JPG

IMG-9283.JPG

Last edited:
Oil on the threads is just some seepage which can happen and this amount is fine, so long as none of the plugs weren't soaked in oil which it doesn't look like it was. The burn looks like it's running efficiently from what is shown.

Last edited:
Minor ash fouling on most of the plugs because of small amount of oil consumption.

Thank you all for your input. I hope one day to be as knowledgeable and helpful as all of you! The plug I have pictured is the worst of the bunch, so if that is not concerning I will not post the others.

Cyrus

Last edited:
I wouldn't lose to much sleep over the results of those plugs. My first glance was a positive one. Looking at them harder a second time didn't change my mind much. I am assuming you are changing them and took photo of the old plugs? I changed mine early in my Versa Note according to the owners manual. 55k vs. 100k. My milage jumped up around town. Then I took a trip from Idaho to N. Cal. Average miles I usually get on that trip up also. Glad I changed early. Wonder if you are seeing any milage improvement if you did make a change here rather than just pull, inspect, put back in.

Yes I did change them to new Iridium plugs (NGK), honestly no difference in performance or mileage. Still getting 21mpg highway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back