Dipstick broke/stuck in Hole

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, you will have to plug or cap the hole or the car won't run right. 1000 miles / qt is a lot. Too much to make the oil change thing practical. If there is access from under the valve cover to get the stick out, then that's the best route.

The other question is... why is the dip stick stuck? Rust? Sludge? Grunge?

Originally Posted by twoheeldrive
Yes, you will have to plug or cap the hole or the car won't run right. 1000 miles / qt is a lot. Too much to make the oil change thing practical. If there is access from under the valve cover to get the stick out, then that's the best route.

36.gif

That's a good question. No idea. It's almost like the O-ring and that plastic piece swelled up or got frozen in place somehow The dipstick isnt even that old. Maybe five or six years?

Just looking at the pic, i appears the plastic porttion of the dipstick broke, and the o-ring portion is below the level of the valve cover. The issue is centering up the plastic 0-ring section and pulling it back through.

You may have just gotten a bad plastic one that was weak maybe an air bubble or something in the plastic when it was made.

The hole may be tapered a bit wider at the top. I would get a valve cover gasket and a new dipstick from the dealer, and pull the valve cover. Should not be too hard.

Show us pics when you do.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by onetwoothreee
Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by onetwoothreee
Magnetic wand. Come on.

He said it's jammed.

He said you need your mouth welded shut.

Please post a link to a magnetic wand strong enough to pull a stuck dipstick out of the little hole. Good idea if he hadn't said it was stuck.

Try not to get your panties bunched when no offense was intended.

OP, if you have a trusted indie mechanic and don't think you can do the job it would surely be less expensive than having the Honda dealer do it.

Originally Posted by Leo99
Why even own a car that gets driven just once a month? Is it really worth all the effort to keep this thing on the road?

Why post unhelpful, off-topic answers ? It's his/her decision alone - no one else's - as to why they own/keep this car.

Originally Posted by Blue_Goose
It looks like the valve cover route might be the way to go. It all depends if the dealer is going to charge me something like $350 just to take the cover off. Honestly I have no idea how much something like this should cost

Most dealer labor rates will be (much) higher than independent shop's labor rates. Around here, independents run $80-110/hour while dealers will be $125-150/hour.

A valve cover gasket replacement on Honda Accords are bread-and-butter jobs for all repair shops. They can probably do it in around an hour but I'm not sure what they book rate is. The spark plug tube gaskets should be replaced at the same time (since the cover is off and many gaskets are sold as a "kit" and includes them).

One dealer quoted 280 including new dipstick and another 200.

I asked if the 200 included the dipstick and a new gasket and was told yes

For that cost, including parts and labor (??), get that in writing and schedule it !

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

For that cost, including parts and labor (??), get that in writing and schedule it !

Your cost could be about $42 super easy job. should take at most 20 minutes.

https://www.amazon.com/APDTY-119494-4-Cylinder-15650-PPA-004-15650PPA004/dp/B01FPIRWVQ

https://www.amazon.com/Fel-Pro-VS50614R-Valve-Cover-Gasket/dp/B000HULKZW

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spasm3

The OP has shown no inclination of changing the gasket themselves.

No first-timer could do it in 20 minutes either. I'm not sure how many miles are on the OP's car but the spark plug tube gaskets are tricky to remove if they're turned to a hard plastic. Even putting the rubber grommets on the cover bolts takes practice.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by spasm3

The OP has shown no inclination of changing the gasket themselves.

No first-timer could do it in 20 minutes either. I'm not sure how many miles are on the OP's car but the spark plug tube gaskets are tricky to remove if they're turned to a hard plastic. Even putting the rubber grommets on the cover bolts takes practice.

I have never seen the seals leak on a 2.4, so I do not bother with replacing the seals. I only replace the gasket.
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
The video guy went all that way and didn't run the valves?
Slacker!

Heck, valve adjustment is the fun part, right?

Valve adjustment takes too long- mainly because you need to start with a cold engine.

'If' accurate, ~$200 all in including gasket from the dealer doesn't sound out of line, not unreasonable.

Hopefully you'll update on your decision and outcome.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
'If' accurate, ~$200 all in including gasket from the dealer doesn't sound out of line, not unreasonable.

Hopefully you'll update on your decision and outcome.

I agree, if he does not want to do it himself, $200 is a great price.

Really basic job at any independent shop will do and [censored] if you want buy a gasket and a dipstick from online honda source and most shops will charge an hour labor or close to it. Going to the dealer will end up with a list of thousands of dollars worth of service and repair parts they will tell you the old second call you only use lightly must have yesterday or it wont make it home

Originally Posted by vssjim
Really basic job at any independent shop will do and [censored] if you want buy a gasket and a dipstick from online honda source and most shops will charge an hour labor or close to it. Going to the dealer will end up with a list of thousands of dollars worth of service and repair parts they will tell you the old second call you only use lightly must have yesterday or it wont make it home

+1
You know they will take it apart, then call him to do the valve adjustment. That's why i suggested he do it himself for $50 or under.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back