Is it ok to run a fleet of gasoline trucks with just 5w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
You must get a good deal on the Chinese oil?

Yes sir! At $9 a gallon of 15w40 synthetic blend Sinopec tulux 600, they discontinued it and went to a CK4. Synthetic called Tulux 700.
$11 a gallon for the 5w30 Sinopec Tulux Justar J600

Construction and some with of alot of idleing hours, pulling trailers and sometimes driven by morons lol..

Synthetic 5w30 up to 15w40would all work fine whatever fits your supply chain availability.
With the caveat that I would be hesitant to go down in viscosity on the Ram. But maybe you could manage that separately or push the rest up. It is riskier to go down in viscosity than up for this service.

I may end up using 15w40 on one of the Rams and do an OA at 5k just to see where we stand. Thanks again.

I run 15W-40 in just about all of the 27 gas and diesel engines on my ranch.

If I were maintaining your fleet - under your "guidelines",

I'd buy the cheapest 15W-40 that I could find by the 55 gallon drum or IBC tote and run it in everything.

Originally Posted by Newman88
Originally Posted by PimTac
You must get a good deal on the Chinese oil?

Yes sir! At $9 a gallon of 15w40 synthetic blend Sinopec tulux 600, they discontinued it and went to a CK4.

You could probably negotiate a US made 15W-40 from a local distributor for nearly the same price

You could get all those bases covered with
Justar J700 Plus 5w30.

It's a Dexos 2 5W30, so has an HTHS over 3.5...which is why the 0W40 is specced for the hemis. A bit more HTHS.

I ran both 5w-30 and 0w-40 in my Coyote, results were very good on the 5w-30 and the 0w-40 was very smooth (traded before end of OCI).
So IMO either of those are fine to use in the 5.0.

I don't know that I would go thinner on the 6.4 Hemis; perhaps a good 5w40 would be less expensive and would be up to the job.

I like Linctex's post. Run 15W40 in everything. Delo 400 SAE 30, good to 20F, but not much colder is likely what I'd likely gravitate to, weather permitting.

Run 15w40 across the board. Your temperatures allow it. Just make sure you run an all-fleet oil, Mobil Delvac 15w40 comes to mind. It is $10 per gallon jugs at Wal-Mart, so I'm sure you can find even a better deal for a 55 gallon drum.

Originally Posted by Shannow
You could get all those bases covered with
Justar J700 Plus 5w30.

It's a Dexos 2 5W30, so has an HTHS over 3.5...which is why the 0W40 is specced for the hemis. A bit more HTHS.

This.

The 0w-40 is an HTHS >=3.5cP lubricant and generally they are somewhere between 3.5 and 3.8. A 15w-40 will be considerably, and unnecessarily, heavy.

Originally Posted by CT8
A 0W- 40 would cover all the bases from -40*f to over 100*f

True. If it is the same price as 15w40, then just run 0w40.
BUT... IF you are in a hotter climate (Death Valley, etc.), then there were reports of people having oil consumption on 0w40 in such climate, and that consumption was "cured" by 10w40/15w40.

P.S. I'm a huge 0W40 fan and run it in almost everything I have. Once my oil stash is empty - it will be 0W40 in absolutely all of the engines that I own and maintain.

A 10w-30 HDEO year round, climate permitting, would be reasonable, if one's looking at conventional pricing. If one's looking at synthetic or the climate is more difficult, a 5w-30 E6 would be worth a shot. It'll have the elevated HTHS and still be good for winter, and be fine for extended OCIs.

I wouldn't consider it an HDEO, but if I recall correctly, it's A3/B3 and suitable for CF, so I'd be perfectly okay with using it in a fair number of older diesels. I actually find the A3/B3 more helpful for that than the CF. For me to consider an oil an HDEO, I'd like to see a current C spec and/or ACEA E sequences. A3/B3, A3/B4 oils are quite capable in most diesels aside from those with the most modern emissions equipment. Of course, marine lubes and two stroke diesel lubes and locomotive lubes are another matter altogether, but we're not going to be generally stumbling across them as ordinary consumers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back