What oil for Twin Turbo V6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Dad has a 2015 CTS VSport with the LF3 twin-turbo V6 and via our research, we decided to swap his M1 EP for Ravenol DXG. With GDI you be aware of the importance of the proper motor oil that you choose to use, and with GTDI you ought to put some deliberate thought into the oil you choose. With two turbos and direct injection, combined with the potential timing chain issue on these GM V6's, you ought to be downright picky on the motor oil you choose to pour into your twin turbo, direct injection, twin timing chain driven, 420+ horsepower hot rod motor.

Price is an important factor, but then again so is availability. I have always tended to prefer what I can get at Walmart in 5 quart jugs in terms of both price and availability, but with Amazon, the internet, and such, if I can get what I need shipped directly to my door for no added expense, that's even better. (I've ordered 5qt jugs from Walmart shipped directly to my door for free, that's hard to beat.)

The key to remember is don't push 7,500 miles or 1 year, and ensure that you are using DEXOS1 Gen2, as that has the proper amount of calcium in it to prevent LSPI. And as mentioned above, use a quality oil filter. (Napa 100255, Wix 10255XP, or Mobil1 212A)

I would suggest in the following order:

1. Ravenol DXG 5w30 (lowest Noack and superior flash and pour points, and only a few dollars more than M1 AP; order two oil changes at a time at Blauparts for free shipping)
2 Amsoil Signature Series 5w30 (excellent Group IV PAO oil that you cannot go wrong with, but I don't need the extra TBN and it's cost for 7,500mi OCI's)
3. Mobil1 Annual Protection 5w30 (probably the best oil for your motor that you can buy in 5qt jugs at Walmart)
4. Mobil1 Extended Protection 5w30 (Well worth the extra couple bucks over the regular M1 fully synthetic and probably the best bang for the buck)
5. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 (looks to be a clean-burning GTL oil derived from natural gas)

Originally Posted by AirBull
My Dad has a 2015 CTS VSport with the LF3 twin-turbo V6 and via our research, we decided to swap his M1 EP for Ravenol DXG. With GDI you be aware of the importance of the proper motor oil that you choose to use, and with GTDI you ought to put some deliberate thought into the oil you choose. With two turbos and direct injection, combined with the potential timing chain issue on these GM V6's, you ought to be downright picky on the motor oil you choose to pour into your twin turbo, direct injection, twin timing chain driven, 420+ horsepower hot rod motor.

Price is an important factor, but then again so is availability. I have always tended to prefer what I can get at Walmart in 5 quart jugs in terms of both price and availability, but with Amazon, the internet, and such, if I can get what I need shipped directly to my door for no added expense, that's even better. (I've ordered 5qt jugs from Walmart shipped directly to my door for free, that's hard to beat.)

The key to remember is don't push 7,500 miles or 1 year, and ensure that you are using DEXOS1 Gen2, as that has the proper amount of calcium in it to prevent LSPI. And as mentioned above, use a quality oil filter. (Napa 100255, Wix 10255XP, or Mobil1 212A)

I would suggest in the following order:

1. Ravenol DXG 5w30 (lowest Noack and superior flash and pour points, and only a few dollars more than M1 AP; order two oil changes at a time at Blauparts for free shipping)
2 Amsoil Signature Series 5w30 (excellent Group IV PAO oil that you cannot go wrong with, but I don't need the extra TBN and it's cost for 7,500mi OCI's)
3. Mobil1 Annual Protection 5w30 (probably the best oil for your motor that you can buy in 5qt jugs at Walmart)
4. Mobil1 Extended Protection 5w30 (Well worth the extra couple bucks over the regular M1 fully synthetic and probably the best bang for the buck)
5. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 (looks to be a clean-burning GTL oil derived from natural gas)

Before the GM revised their recommendation you could argue the 10K OCI was too long. Its revision to 7.5K has taken care of this. If an engine can not handle a 7.5K OCI on D1G2 lube it deserves to die and GM should reap the benefits of manufacturing a crappy motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back