Transporting a Handgun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by eljefino
I will add that yes you should cooperate with police and disclose as required BUT keep your fool mouth closed when it comes to intent, what are you doing here, where are you going, beyond "I am a traveller passing through." Don't give in to fishing and if you start quoting laws by chapter the cop may start looking to mess with you or at least delay you for a bit.

The ones who respect the disclosure, locked box in trunk etc aren't the ones you want to worry about. They can tell from your mechanical (locked up) compliance you respect the law. It's the ones that start off looking to be your buddy then turn sour that you should worry about, and you can spot them after you've answered 5-6 questions in a minute or two.

I appreciate the effort to be 100% compliant to demonstrate to a state that has a hostile environment so that they won't trap you, but quoting law and verse is better saved for the courtroom. The less you say roadside, the better. "I am a traveller, passing through."

"Do you have any firearms?" "Nope."

Originally Posted by hatt
"Do you have any firearms?" "Nope."

Exactly. Legal term called mens rea requires that the defendant knows or should have known that a crime was being committed. If you play dumb, then quite possibly you cant be charged, or if charged, wont get convicted.

"Forgot those were in there".

"Went to the gun range a couple weeks ago, must have forgot those were back there."

"Brother borrowed the car and went shooting a few weeks back. I had no idea he left guns in the trunk of the car."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back