Is it ok to run a fleet of gasoline trucks with just 5w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have the big 3 in our fleet consisting of
Rams with the 6.4 Hemi needing 0w40 oil
Fords rangining from 5.4 2v, 5.4 3v, 6.8 2v, 6.2 2v, 3.5 Ecoboost, 4.2 v6, 5.0 coyotes and
GM 6.0 Vortecs.
It will make it really easy and cheap to run all on the same oil drum instead of of one drum of 0w40 which right know its $$$ and a drum of 5w20 which also is $$$. We dont have warranty anymore on these trucks and we run them till the engine fail and most times they get reman engines and keep running them.

My question is can the 5w30 full synthetic be run on the 6.4 rams, Ford 6.2 and 5.0 coyotes? Or will damage happen from running this oil in them?

Additional Info.
We run Sinopec Justar J600 5w30 (full synthetic) on all 5.4 2v, 5.4 3v, 6.8 2v, 4.2 v6, 6.0 Vortecs, 3.5 Ecoboost for more than 4 years and no mechanical failures from any of the those engines all with strict 5k OCI and Baldwin filters.

welcome2.gif
to BITOG

Run the grade they recommend in the manual or thicker but not thinner than called for.

Last edited:
0w40,5w40,or 15w40,would all,work depending on the ambient. Other than up,in Taos and Cuba and some of the mountain areas,it doesn't get too cold I winter for any of them.

Thanks for the colorful Welcome.
In the case of the Rams can 15w40 be used?
So is 5w30 ok to run on the 6.2 and 5.0 with no ill effects on the valve terrain? We have made it well passed 300k on all original timing components on the 5.4 2v and 6.8 2v with no rattle, just curious if it will be the same case with the 6.2 and 5.0.

How cold do you see? Says "NM" for location, which I'm thinking is New Mexico. I think you can get surprisingly cold at night... but nothing like what I'll see in a couple of months. I'm guessing 5Wxx is just fine, even 10Wxx at the temps you'll see (nothing below 0F). I'm thinking 5W30 or 10W30 would be just fine.

If you have "lots" of machines to run, I'm guessing a drum doesn't last long--and a few used oil analysis will pay for themselves in quick order. My gut says the GM motors won't care, the Fords might, and the Dodge, if it spec's 0W40, would be most sensitive... but that's just a guess. I'd throw 5W30 at all of them, do an UOA on all of them after your nominal OCI, and see what the report says. I sincerely doubt one OCI with "bad" oil would trash the motor.

15w40 can be run in a 0w40 application depending on the ambient temperature doesn't get too cold. I see you are in NM and the lowest temperature for the winter is about 34F so a 15w40 would be fine at that temperature instead of a 0w40. I wouldn't go any colder the 32F with that oil though.

Last edited:
Nah we dont get cold at all, in rare occasions we might dip in the low 20°. Im from southwestern NM, and the company I do service for is from El Paso Tx.

Originally Posted by Newman88
Nah we dont get cold at all, in rare occasions we might dip in the low 20°. Im from southwestern NM, and the company I do service for is from El Paso Tx.

15w40 all fleet with SN rating.

Last edited:
Oil analysis are in order for the fleet, ive done it mostly our heavy equipment but not on the fleet. I just dont want to fak something up due to using the "wrong oil".

Originally Posted by Newman88

You should be good with 15w40 then. Just looked up the temps for El Paso in the winter.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Brigadier
You should be fine with 5W30 synth and 5k OCIs.

On the 6.2 and 5.0 correct?

Originally Posted by Onetor
Follow the Owner's Manual. The Engineers know more than us. That's my 2 cents.

In the case of the 5.4 2v and 6.8 2v valves the engineers said that 5w20 was needed and in some TSB they went back to 5w30?

Nice! this is a very active forum, and all of you have been very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back