Maggots hatching out of my flour!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vert da ferk! Der bergs are inn da der fleur are! You can see in the picture where they chewed a little hole through the bag and escaped; they were crawling out all over the counter! I threw the whole thing away. I have 2 other kinds of flour in the pantry and they weren't bothered, so I'm pretty sure they actually came from inside the flour. It's all-purpose. The date on the bag says September 2019. What's going on?

IMG_20181118_104817026_HDR resize.jpg

Some folks recommend freezing your flour and grains (rice, etc) for a week or so when you first get them to kill off any organisms.

First off....

Those are not "maggots".... like from flies. They are beetle larvae.

It has NOTHING to do with "wheat and how it is processed"!!!!!!!!!!

It has EVERYTHING to do with how the flour is stored after it is milled.

Yes - always freeze flour for a few days after buying it.

In fact, go freeze your remaining flour now.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Some folks recommend freezing your flour and grains (rice, etc) for a week or so when you first get them to kill off any organisms.

Every time = no problems!

It happens. I got a box of minute rice a long time ago and it had living things in it.

I try to buy all my food stuffs like this in bulk now at our bulk food store where you can bring in your own containers or use their see through bags and scoop as much or as little as you want.
This way I can see what I'm getting. Their pricing is close to that of retail packages as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Linctex
First off....

Those are not "maggots".... like from flies. They are beetle larvae.
In fact, go freeze your remaining flour now.

Years ago, I had some rye flour that was stored in a zip bag. Somehow they managed to get into it and ruin it. It doesn't take much of an opening.
Yep, keep your flour in the freezer and if it gets too old, buy new.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Is that Gold medal flour with the banana nut bread recipe thats been on the package since 1892?

No, it's the Starbucks copycat recipe. You want a slice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back