F-250 Not Taking Fuel/Spitting Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have four of these trucks, all share the same configuration and service schedule. They all have similar mileage and work loads.

2012 Ford F-250 SC, LB 4WD, gas engine.

One particular truck will not take fuel. Tried different pumps, stations, times of day, different levels of fuel in tank, engine on, engine off.

It's quite the ordeal re-fueling. The driver has to barely squeeze the trigger on the pump to allow the gas to trickle down the fuel neck. Holding the nozzle wide open, the gas will quickly fill the tube, spit back, and the nozzle automatically clicks off.

It seemed that the problem was "solved" by holding the nozzle 90 degrees but that could not be replicated consistently.

Crawling under the truck, the fill tube and vent appear to be serviceable and undamaged. Also, this problem started soon after the switch to winter blend fuel.

Downing this truck is not an option. Must wait for winter for major repairs. At this time, I consider it a time-consuming nuisance for the driver. The truck otherwise runs fine.

Any ideas? Recalls? TSB's I'm not aware of? Any one else have this problem?

I have the same exact problem on my Fusion. The problem is intermittent though as it comes and goes. I'm taking the car in this week to have them look at it along with a recall and some other issues.

You probably have a bad evap canister or a plugged hose. BTW Overfilling the tank will ruin the evap canister.

The Canister Vent Valve solenoid could be be stuck closed or has dirt/debris plugging the vent path. This solenoid is normally open....When you turn the key off it will open & vent the tank through the canister.

As suggested above, it's probably the purge valve solenoid gone bad. I haven't had trouble with mine yet, but I've read about guys with similar F150s having the fuel tank sucked in and unable to put gas in.

On my 5.0 coyote, it's an inexpensive part and it requires just a few minutes to change. I would guess that your 6.2L in the F250 has the same solenoid somewhere under the hood and probably an easy fix. At least worth a try.

Originally Posted by dustyroads
As suggested above, it's probably the purge valve solenoid gone bad. I haven't had trouble with mine yet, but I've read about guys with similar F150s having the fuel tank sucked in and unable to put gas in.

On my 5.0 coyote, it's an inexpensive part and it requires just a few minutes to change. I would guess that your 6.2L in the F250 has the same solenoid somewhere under the hood and probably an easy fix. At least worth a try.

The Canister Purge Valve Solenoid & Canister Vent Valve Solenoid are 2 different components.

*The Purge Solenoid is normally closed & is not able to vent the tank during refueling nor was it designed to.
*The Vent Solenoid is normally open & is designed to vent the tank. More flow capacity than the Purge. Usually mounted on or close to the Charcoal Canister.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Originally Posted by dustyroads

The Canister Purge Valve Solenoid & Canister Vent Valve Solenoid are 2 different components.

*The Purge Solenoid is normally closed & is not able to vent the tank during refueling nor was it designed to.
*The Vent Solenoid is normally open & is designed to vent the tank. More flow capacity than the Purge. Usually mounted on or close to the Charcoal Canister.

Ah... thanks. On the F-150 forums I've seen the same complaints as the OP and the purge valve solenoid under the hood was the issue. Unable to add gas was at least part of the problem, though a sucked in tank was also mentioned with the F150s.

Last edited:
The Vapor canister could be flooded. If you try filling the tank and cram too much gas in the tank, after a while the canister will become flooded and will cause filling issues, because the tank is not venting properly during fill ups. Ford doesn't have a liquid valve to prevent fuel getting in the canister. GM has the valve in their system.

UPDATE:

It was the evap can and vent hose. Best part was that the fix cost nothing. The mechanic had to lower the spare to remove and blew air through the vent hose and can. Both were filled with dirt, stone, and debris.

This truck is used in the mining/construction industry and spends 99% of it's time on dirt and gravel roads. It also runs 14 hours a day. The foreman typically fuels every day so he is much happier that he can fill the tank normally (hence, quickly).

Warstud nailed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back