Tool manufacture question

Status
Not open for further replies.
So now with tariffs, I'm curious what all tools are made in US again? And if not what brands are strictly made in US?

I just bought some SK pliers (6, 8, 10 slip joint), made in USA and I must say I am impressed! The quality of these tools is what American tool quality use to be when you didn't have to buy Snap On to get very high quality, I would honestly rate them better than Knipex and the Snap On ACP or Talon.
I hope they keep the tariffs and even raise them to give first world countries a fighting chance against the dumping of cheap crap.

Notice the solid pivot joint on these bad boys, no nut to loosen and the price is in Channellock territory at the big box stores.

https://www.circlecsupply.com/sk-combination-slip-joint-pliers-6.html

https://www.circlecsupply.com/sk-combination-slip-joint-pliers-8.html

https://www.circlecsupply.com/sk-72...zofvd3gIVBZJbCh2-2g0DEAQYASABEgJbfvD_BwE

Originally Posted by Trav
I just bought some SK pliers (6, 8, 10 slip joint), made in USA and I must say I am impressed!

I've also looked at some SK tools lately. They seem to be a good American-made tool that won't break the bank if they get stolen or lost. I was also in a hardware store yesterday and was still happy that the Channel Lock pliers are still made in the USA.

I just bought some SK pliers (6, 8, 10 slip joint), made in USA and I must say I am impressed! The quality of these tools is what American tool quality use to be when you didn't have to buy Snap On to get very high quality, I would honestly rate them better than Knipex and the Snap On ACP or Talon.
I hope they keep the tariffs and even raise them to give first world countries a fighting chance against the dumping of cheap crap.

Notice the solid pivot joint on these bad boys, no nut to loosen and the price is in Channellock territory at the big box stores.

https://www.circlecsupply.com/sk-combination-slip-joint-pliers-6.html

https://www.circlecsupply.com/sk-combination-slip-joint-pliers-8.html

https://www.circlecsupply.com/sk-72...zofvd3gIVBZJbCh2-2g0DEAQYASABEgJbfvD_BwE

nice looking pliers from the pictures they done a great job on that flush rivet. I like the overall machining process very high quality.

Originally Posted by Kruse
I just bought some SK pliers (6, 8, 10 slip joint), made in USA and I must say I am impressed!

I've also looked at some SK tools lately. They seem to be a good American-made tool that won't break the bank if they get stolen or lost. I was also in a hardware store yesterday and was still happy that the Channel Lock pliers are still made in the USA.

i like the Channellock needle nose and oil filter pliers, Klein for dykes and linesman and knipex Cobra and Raptor for water pump style. the old SO and Proto slip joints are going in another box in the cellar for household work now the SK have filled their spot.

Another good specialty plier is the Vampire but you don't need to buy the name the importer branded them, get Engineer Neji-saurus (you can find them on ebay) they are the real manufacturer in Japan.
These are the same tool, the name and grip color is different and the price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Engineer-Neji-saurus-RX-PZ-59-Screw-Pliers/263794471098?epid=2256070726&hash=item3d6b6030ba:g:NsoAAOSwHt5bPCnd:rk:2:pf:0

https://www.amazon.com/VAMPLIERS-Li...pliers&psc=1&smid=A3E8GX4AKGULPN

It might delay the moving offshore of companies already here and thinking of moving but companies are forward-looking 20 years and they won't likely move here and set up shop if they think things will pendulum the other way in a few years.

Still psyched about SK though. I buy USA when I can, when there's some quality there and not just a bunch of flags on the box. My Danaher Kobalt ratchet had a gritty 36 tooth mechanism, broke within a year, and was replaced with a perfect Taiwan 72 tooth one.

Speaking of ChannelLock brand pliers, I'm seeing them in more and more stores nowadays, including Walmart ! Also have seen them at Menards (a Midwest-based regional big-box chain). I think they used to only be available through tool supply stores or similar places.

I would like to see some of the USA tool manufactures adjust prices and stomp all over snap on, they are just crazy priced. Just look how fast they make those tools on the how is it made deal on youtube. I would like to see stores to buy all the various tools at instead of stupid trucks that you have to hunt down when you need something. In the old days you could go buy snap on at their local warehouse. The price would come down if all the middle men where out of the equation.

Originally Posted by Exhaustgases
I would like to see some of the USA tool manufactures adjust prices and stomp all over snap on, they are just crazy priced. Just look how fast they make those tools on the how is it made deal on youtube. I would like to see stores to buy all the various tools at instead of stupid trucks that you have to hunt down when you need something. In the old days you could go buy snap on at their local warehouse. The price would come down if all the middle men where out of the equation.

Why? If you don't like Snap On, don't buy thier tools.

Snap On are very good tools and their business model is convenient for mechanics working in shops. the price of their tools is high but many think it is justified by them coming to you so you don't have to wait or go shopping, many don't. In any case it works because they are still in business and not peddling their tools though box stores that demand a lower price point.

Fact is unlike when I first started there are not many readily available alternatives to the quality of tools sold on the trucks without doing a lot of research and comparison shopping online. Then there is the financing the trucks offer, I don't like it or endorse it but many guys need to use it just to get the basic tools they need to do their jobs.

Have some Wright Tool ratchets. Great quality!

"Made Entirely in the U.S.A.
From the design and engineering to the forging and finishing, all work on Wright tools is performed in the United States by skilled American workers. We do not use foreign blanks or forgings. Even the steel we use is American-made."

http://www.wrighttool.com

Last edited:

You can mail broken tools to Snap-on & they will repair or replace it, Outside of Torx bit drivers.....I haven't broke many SO tools with regularity.

People think it's fine to buy a second hand SO tool & get a brand new tool for free "no questions asked".....But on the other hand complain about the price of a new tool.
Don't forget the legacy cost associated with a business model like theirs.....The warranted Bits, Taps & Dies alone is a staggering amount of money!

Originally Posted by ms21043

Its got nothing to do with not liking them, the cost I and thousands of others don't like. They may someday end up pricing themselves out of business.

I had a broken snap on tool stolen by the snap on tool truck guy, he was a real crook. It was a very expensive tool to replace.

I don't like the price of a RR either so I buy a VW and complain about the price of the RR on message boards. Works for me.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by ms21043

Its got nothing to do with not liking them, the cost I and thousands of others don't like. They may someday end up pricing themselves out of business.

I had a broken snap on tool stolen by the snap on tool truck guy, he was a real crook. It was a very expensive tool to replace.

Look into SK.

+1 on that. Years ago I had some SK Wayne stuff, it was good quality, the new stuff appears to be the same or even better quality with some tools and USA made.
If you like chrome the SuperKrome is hard to beat. For most stuff inc wrenches and sockets I stick to Hazet and Stahlwille.

My very first set as a kid was an sk 3/8ths set. Back then they were kind of soft, maybe better now. I wore a few sockets out and bent a 9/16 combo wrench, the ratchet still works okay may have had one kit i don't remember since I've had them for around 56 years now.

I remember my first small set in trade school was made by Kraeuter which was owned by SK, don't hear much about them anymore but they were decent tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back