Purolator and Wix air filter for 2008 Toyota Camry 2.4L are exactly the same

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a Wix and Purolator sir filter for my 2008 Camry 2.4L because I wanted to see the difference. It turns out they are exactly the same filter The only thing difference is the model number and other info printed on the filter.

The little flashing nubs from the molding process are in the same place, same number of pleats, ribs in exactly the same place, etc.

ygMEQmO.jpg

nvWwzXt.jpg

B9pFBTk.jpg

nKWeiFH.jpg

DGYPEzz.jpg

sz79yAR.jpg

wEcsxoP.jpg

Ddenrus.jpg

I usually look through the Fram boxes for one made in USA. Difference being that instead of being hard plastic its more pliable.

welcome2.gif

The best part is that they were even made on the same day
banana2.gif

For this application, you should get the Fram Ultra filter XGA10171 at Walmart

Very good observation here....

Like anndel said they are owned by MH. So this makes me wonder if the PureOne has the same 99.5% efficient media has the Wix?? Id bet so.

The regular PureOne was 99% per ISO 5011... Nothing wrong with that by the way.

Not giving you a hard time here... not at all
smile.gif

But not everyone wants to go to Wally World...

I don't mind going there on occasion myself. But there are days where walking long, long distances are not what I am up to doing... And I go elsewhere due to that factor. Thankfully lately I have felt pretty sporty and it has not been an issue too much. But there are days where I just don't want to have to walk so far to get stuff. And no I'm not lazy... And no I don't have a handicap parking pass... Though I could easily get one... I don't. I'd rather other people get them before me because they need it more than me at this time..

Originally Posted by bbhero
Very good observation here....

Like anndel said they are owned by MH. So this makes me wonder if the PureOne has the same 99.5% efficient media has the Wix?? Id bet so.

The regular PureOne was 99% per ISO 5011... Nothing wrong with that by the way.

I tried to find a Pure One filter for my car, but it seems no one has them, so it may be out of production. The Pure One filter part number starts with PA.

The regular Purolator filter starts with A. I noticed they named it Purolator One - a bit deceiving.

One company owning both brands makes way more sense on why the filters are exactly the same thing.

The closest Walmart is 40-ish miles away. I'm in the land of Target.

I was under the impression that Fram filters are rubbish. Or does that only apply to their oil filters?

I've always used Napa Gold/Wix or Purolator Pure One filters. But i have not bought any filters in years because I bought a bunch when I was driving way more. Only recently did I run out of air filters.

Purolator no longer makes those PureOne air filters
mad.gif

I used to use them too! But the Fram Ultra air filter is the same concept, but the media is yellow instead of blue. So if you liked the old P1 air filter, you will like the Ultra
thumbsup2.gif

Fram has greatly improved their quality recently. In fact, even their cheapest orange cans have a silicone ADBV now. OTOH, Purolator's quality has gone way down. From tearing oil filters, slices in the ADBV, to the louvers not always being opened up properly.

Even if the closest Walmart is 40 miles away, you can buy the Ultra air filter, your cabin filter, and a Tough Guard oil filter for about $35, which will get you free shipping without driving the 40 miles
smile.gif

Originally Posted by jbobpickles
I was under the impression that Fram filters are rubbish. Or does that only apply to their oil filters?

I don't like Fram orange cans; they're not rubbish, however. That's just my preference, because of cost versus features, particularly Canadian pricing. I do, however, have no problems with Fram air filters, and actually do seek them out at times.

Ahha here we go, it didn't take long to get to your real point.

Very interesting. I would like to see how those compare to an OEM filter. I generally only use OEM filters on my Toyotas.

One company owning both brands makes way more sense on why the filters are exactly the same thing.

The closest Walmart is 40-ish miles away. I'm in the land of Target.

I've always used Napa Gold/Wix or Purolator Pure One filters. But i have not bought any filters in years because I bought a bunch when I was driving way more. Only recently did I run out of air filters.

What's most likely is that for these filters with plastic frames (rather than rectangles or cylinders with soft foam surrounds) is that there are a limited number of suppliers of aftermarket versions, and all brands are purchased from 2 or 3 suppliers. I doubt it's anything specifically designed to be a Wix or Purolator filter. I remember back when I was getting filters for my 1995 Integra GS-R. It had this odd cylindrical filter, and basically all aftermarket filters for it were either made in one factory in South Korea and another one in Thailand. Didn't matter what brand - they all were either relabeled from one of these two factories. One time I was passing by a particular parts store every day (jury duty) and I asked about a Wix. They ordered it and said I wasn't obligated to buy it. Turned out to be the same part (for maybe $21) that I could find for $12.99 as the Pep Boys house brand.

[Linked Image]

I don't particularly like the filters that Fram designs and/or makes. The ones with the soft foam surrounds. I remember cutting myself on one when the metal mesh poked through. A lot of them don't have any metal mesh. However, many filters Fram just buys overseas, asks the manufacturer to slap on their part number, and they put it in their own box. I don't really have a problem with those as long as I can get a good price.

Originally Posted by y_p_w

What's most likely is that for these filters with plastic frames (rather than rectangles or cylinders with soft foam surrounds) is that there are a limited number of suppliers of aftermarket versions, and all brands are purchased from 2 or 3 suppliers. I doubt it's anything specifically designed to be a Wix or Purolator filter. I remember back when I was getting filters for my 1995 Integra GS-R. It had this odd cylindrical filter, and basically all aftermarket filters for it were either made in one factory in South Korea and another one in Thailand. Didn't matter what brand - they all were either relabeled from one of these two factories. One time I was passing by a particular parts store every day (jury duty) and I asked about a Wix. They ordered it and said I wasn't obligated to buy it. Turned out to be the same part (for maybe $21) that I could find for $12.99 as the Pep Boys house brand.

[Linked Image]

I don't particularly like the filters that Fram designs and/or makes. The ones with the soft foam surrounds. I remember cutting myself on one when the metal mesh poked through. A lot of them don't have any metal mesh. However, many filters Fram just buys overseas, asks the manufacturer to slap on their part number, and they put it in their own box. I don't really have a problem with those as long as I can get a good price.

Denso used to sell the Integra OE air filter under their name for the aftermarket. Part number 143-2036. This was made in Japan.

Unfortunately, Denso recently scrapped their OE Quality air filter line and replaced it with Chinese FTF. The new part number is 143-3168 and is the same thing everyone else is hawking like you mention
mad.gif

Supposedly, the Hastings AF326 is US-made

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted by y_p_w

[Linked Image]

Denso used to sell the Integra OE air filter under their name for the aftermarket. Part number 143-2036. This was made in Japan.

Unfortunately, Denso recently scrapped their OE Quality air filter line and replaced it with Chinese FTF. The new part number is 143-3168 and is the same thing everyone else is hawking like you mention
mad.gif

Supposedly, the Hastings AF326 is US-made

That filter was always kind of odd trying to find a replacement. I asked once at an Acura dealer (Honda dealers didn't carry that part) and it was usually around $40. I was actually wondering if K&N was going to make a replacement, even though I'm a bit skeptical about how well they protect the engine. I guess they eventually made one, but for about $90.

ACDelco recently sent me 2 engine air filters for my 11 Corolla 1.8Z code engine and when I opened the box they were denso. Made in the USA. Same filter that came stock from the factory. I was pleasantly surprised.

20190306_155505.jpg

20190306_155554.jpg

20190306_155621.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back