.22LR Handgun for targets / plinking - any favorites?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for suggestions on a .22LR handgun for general purpose target practice / plinking. Any favorites out there? Looking to spend no more than $500 give or take. This would be my first handgun, I own hunting rifles / shotgun, would like to start out with something small and manageable to hone my skills. I will likely buy a larger caliber pistol at some point in the future for home defense, but I absolutely want a .22LR in the collection (for the fun factor, cheap ammo) so would like to start there unless there's some logical reason not to. Thanks for any help/info/suggestions.

The Browning Buckmark and the Ruger Mark IV are both great pistols. Both are accurate but one might fit your hand better than the other. Personally I have found that the Browning works best for me.

My Browning Buckmark is a tack driver.

buckmark.jpg

I've got a GSG 1911 with 14 round magazine conversions that is a real hoot. It's a full size 1911 frame. No recoil at all. 14 rounds is just fun!

Ruger Mark III-IV - Never had a jam on factory mags in a bazillion rounds.

Smith and Wesson 617 is a lot of fun.

Never had a buckmark- hear they are really nice as well.

UD

Originally Posted by IndyFan
I've got a GSG 1911 with 14 round magazine conversions that is a real hoot. It's a full size 1911 frame. No recoil at all. 14 rounds is just fun!

^this. I have a full size Colt 45 1911 with a 22 conversion. Shoot 22 for fun & practice and switch to 45 for protection

I own a Browning Buckmark with a 5.5" barrel and it's my most accurate handgun. I would get something with the great single action target trigger you get in a Browning Buckmark, Smith & Wesson Victory, Ruger Mark IV and I would avoid pistols such as the Ruger SR22, Smith & Wesson MP 22 which lacks a crisp trigger. Don't buy something sucky because it holds a few more rounds over a Buckmark... .

Originally Posted by UncleDave
Ruger Mark III-IV - Never had a jam on factory mags in a bazillion rounds.

Smith and Wesson 617 is a lot of fun.

Never had a buckmark- hear they are really nice as well.

UD

You and I have the same taste in .22's. A Single Six is another good option if you want a single action.

I have a Smith and Wesson Model 422 and a Ruger MKII Gov't stainless and prefer to shoot the Ruger though the S&W which was my first gun I've ever owned went through over 20,000 rounds.

I have the S&W 422, and a old nine shot H&R Sportsman 999 revolver that my Dad gave me in 1958. Just gave both to my Grandson. Shot many a round through both over the years.

I have 4 .22 pistols and shoot them more than all the others. One is a Kimber 22 conversion kit on top of a Caspian 1911 frame with Harrison Design internals. It's always in my range bag and loves CCI Mini-Mags. I also have a Smith and Wesson 41 which is much more accurate than I am but can be finicky on what ammo it's fed. I also have 2 High Standard pistols from the early 60's which I really enjoy. One is a Model 103 Supermatic Tournament which my wife bought for me on our first Christmas together and has shot many Ground Squirrels in the head. The other is a Citation which also has the 22 Short Olympic conversion kit with the muzzle brake. Now that CCI is back making 22 Short Target ammo again, I love shooting it in the 22 short configuration. Low noise and almost non existent recoil makes this a really fun gun to blast X-Rings out of targets.

I have a 1952 Colt Woodsman. The grip fits my hand like a glove., and is deadly accurate. Great looking piece.

I have the Browning Buckmark. I'm so-so about it. It's hard to disassemble fully and it's picky about ammo. Fun gun to shoot, though!

Don't get a mosquito.

I would get Buck Mark or a Ruger 22/45 or MK 4 or what ever the series is up to.. I have a Ruger 22/45 with probably 50,000+ rounds since I bought it ! 2000 My son would go through a 550 bulk ammo pack each range visit for many years.My Daughter and Niece would pick the Ruger every time.Best fun you can have with a 22 Lr. For several years a shooting buddy and I would shoot for who pays lunch ! He bought my lunch for several years before one time figuring out it was the 22/45 so he ended up with a nice Buck Mark and it was then a struggle to get free lunches.

Ruger Mark 4
Browning Buckmark
Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory

All good starter guns, all in your price range.

Check the used cases of your pawn shops and gun stores. I saw several Ruger Mark 2 pistols in the case in good condition for $200-$250 this week.

My Ruger Mark 2 will be one of the last pistols I ever sell, if I had to start selling them off.

One thing about ruger I had to Add a few years ago I did a strip and inspection and foundsever alparts I a\questioned the life remaining on the parts. I priced the parts and called Ruger to order them. The rep took the order and said the Ruger warranty covers the parts and there will be no charge. Some companies are above and beyond when it comes to customer service.

M&P 22 Compact. Of all others mentioned, the M&P would be, without question, the most reliable and the least ammo picky, not to mention the lightest. It's not as accurate as the Ruger MK's or Buck Mark by any stretch of the imagination but for plinking, or target shooting out to 15 yards or so, its 3.5" barrel's accuracy will surprise you. Also, Its ergonomics are exactly like that of the Shield, another great M&P line. I have the GSG 1911 22 also, and can't recommend it unless you're prepared to spend extra $$ to upgrade it. Out of the box they're about as accurate as a slingshot, groups like a shotgun. Using the tallest supplied front sight (it came with 3) mine shot 4" high at 15 yards. I spent over $100 upgrading it, not counting the accurizing parts I machined myself which would be another $70.

Last edited:
ruger sr22 semiauto pistol or ruger single six 22lr/wmr single action revolver. both are reliable, and easy to shoot and fieldstrip afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back