5W-30 Unknown - 9,408 Miles - 2012 Chevrolet Malibu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guessing what oil went in: I think its dexos1 Gen2, because notice calcium is low (Mg high). Should be good oil from a GM dealership.

Originally Posted by irv
Exactly, and who knows how old/long the oil has been in there and if someone didn't just reset the OLM without actually changing the oil? Just like my wife's car, new oil filter but definitely not new oil. Shysters are everywhere!
Dipstick color sampling. Old oil always looks darker. It would easily show up on a paper towel, known as a "hillbilly UOA".
thumbsup2.gif

Friend of mine got a used BMW from a Ford dealership, and he said they admitted they just put in 5w30 bulk oil (no LL-01). The horror of it!! Dogs & cats living together! ... I told him its fine, just change it out in 5k miles because its not for long drains, and the lower HTHS only meant he shouldn't be driving it hard, which, most poeple with a 5-series just use it as a status symbol (his goal), not a track animal.

Originally Posted by Patman
Another thing to consider, is that some shady used car dealers (or even private sellers) will put in super thick oil (and maybe even STP oil treatment on top of that) in order to mask any abnormal engine sounds too.

Sadly true.
But by the time you get the vehicle home, do an OCI and UOA, and then subsequently discover a problem that was masked over, it's pretty much too late ...

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Guessing what oil went in: I think its dexos1 Gen2, because notice calcium is low (Mg high). Should be good oil from a GM dealership.

Originally Posted by irv
Exactly, and who knows how old/long the oil has been in there and if someone didn't just reset the OLM without actually changing the oil? Just like my wife's car, new oil filter but definitely not new oil. Shysters are everywhere!

Dipstick color sampling. Old oil always looks darker. It would easily show up on a paper towel, known as a "hillbilly UOA".
thumbsup2.gif

Friend of mine got a used BMW from a Ford dealership, and he said they admitted they just put in 5w30 bulk oil (no LL-01). The horror of it!! Dogs & cats living together! ... I told him its fine, just change it out in 5k miles because its not for long drains, and the lower HTHS only meant he shouldn't be driving it hard, which, most poeple with a 5-series just use it as a status symbol (his goal), not a track animal.

But it has it not been proven on here that some oils turn darker quicker than others but that doesn't necessarily mean they are spent?
I know everyone is different but any used vehicle I purchase in the future will get a fresh oil and filter change unless I personally know the person or I witnessed the oil/filter change myself.
Trusting a used car salesman, like in my case, could have ended badly.

Did buy of Caravan at 3k over phone with salesman saying it is getting oil change now as we speak . Picked up seen oil change sticker and drove home. Looked at sticker later on and noticed it was to changed in 6 months or 21000 miles so I knew I was lied to. I just ran to 4500 miles it dropped a quart so I changed it. Knowing it was factory oil I didn't worry about it. Such a good deal so why get stressed over an oil change on a demo.

Originally Posted by dnewton3
Originally Posted by Patman
Another thing to consider, is that some shady used car dealers (or even private sellers) will put in super thick oil (and maybe even STP oil treatment on top of that) in order to mask any abnormal engine sounds too.

Sadly true.
But by the time you get the vehicle home, do an OCI and UOA, and then subsequently discover a problem that was masked over, it's pretty much too late ...

A local car dealership puts Motor Honey in any car they sell LOL. And if it shifts poorly they put Lucas transmission fix in. We sell them a large quantity of these two disgusting items.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back