15w40 in snow blower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was old school thinking straight weight 30 in summer and better cold start go to 15w40 in winter many many guys still run 15w40 year round in diesel trucks sub zero weather no issue. Blower use I do run 0W40.

15/40 no problem more protection from a 15 base and when has anyone seen a storm @-25F? -10F? even 10F? anyway? never, maybe a day later but well after cleanup is complete.

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
It seems to me that most of my mowing occurs between 70 and 80 degrees, and snow blowing between 20 and 30 degrees. If those estimates are accurate, then my snow blower normally operates in temperatures 50 degrees cooler than my lawn tractor. 10w30 has worked just fine for the past four seasons in the lawn tractor, so I can't think of a reason to run a thicker oil in a snow blower running in much cooler temperatures. Even if the snow blower were stored in a well heated garage to overcome the starting problem, I can't see how it is ever going to run hot enough to need 15w40. Why not just run 5w30 like the manual says?

Never really gets up to temp, exactly where the 15/40 is beneficial.

Originally Posted by dblshock
15/40 no problem more protection from a 15 base and when has anyone seen a storm @-25F? -10F? even 10F? anyway? never, maybe a day later but well after cleanup is complete.

Well there is no such thing as a "15 base" and it does snow here in the Great Lakes down to 0F or even below.

I think I'll keep using 0W-30 in my old snow thrower as I've been doing for nearly 20 years. It seems to work fine.

Originally Posted by dblshock
Never really gets up to temp, exactly where the 15/40 is beneficial.
On the other hand, I doubt it would actually hurt anything other than the shoulder of the guy who has to start it with the pull rope. So why do it? Just use the recommended 5w30 and be done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back