Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JC1
talk about bad customer service......

How?
The warranty says rotate.
Don't?
No warranty.
Simple.

Well, were they actually rotated every 5kmi and worn smooth down to 2/32 ? Let see pictures. It is pretty clearly spelled out in the warranty. Tread life warranties are useless. If I don't like a tire, I simply don't but the exact same one again. And who really should be driving a tire down to 2/32 or less anyway?

Originally Posted by Traction
Well, were they actually rotated every 5kmi and worn smooth down to 2/32 ? Let see pictures. It is pretty clearly spelled out in the warranty. Tread life warranties are useless. If I don't like a tire, I simply don't but the exact same one again. And who really should be driving a tire down to 2/32 or less anyway?

No. Anyone who thinks rotatating tires will make them last longer is stupid. It's just going to hide a wear issue.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman

No. Anyone who thinks rotatating tires will make them last longer is stupid. It's just going to hide a wear issue.

agree. In most cases rotating tires is a waste of time. Unless one is wearing faster than the others....what's the point? I do rotate, but only once or twice in a tires life.

This is why I tend to go cheaper on tires. I've not found the higher priced tires to last much longer, and by going down in price a bit I can afford to throw away a set. I might not like it, but I just write it off as a lesson learned.

I don't think the yokahoma tires had much tread to begin with compared to other new tires. I had them put on one cooper tire so I can have a spare. The yokahamo that was on it got punctured.

I think it depends on person showing up. I do majority ogroations and rarely at shop I bought from. They tend to prorate tires as I subtly ask if anything can be done.

I may just put coppers all around cause they're the cheapest. I agree the more expensive tires don't really last longer.

I'm not buying Yokos ever again. I have 15k on a set of AT G015's and they're down from 13/32" new to 7/32", which means they'll be done in a couple months- I'm hoping they make it through the winter. When I lost the first 3/32" in the first 7,000 miles, I called Yokohama and they told me the rotations had to be done in a tire shop with receipts. I told them that US warranty law says you can do your own basic maintenance, and they told me (very hesitantly) that they would take my printed maintenance log instead. However, I have no faith they'll actually follow through.

I've heard more stories on Yokohamas of poor tread life than any other tire. I'll be going back to Coopers, which I used for 60,000 miles in very rough service.

Last edited:
I may just put coppers all around cause they're the cheapest. I agree the more expensive tires don't really last longer.

Good luck! Let us know how it all works out....

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Does the tire warranty state that it has to be rotated by the installer? If so, that makes no sense.

Just make up an excel spreadsheet or word document showing that you rotated them every 5k miles. This might be lying; HOWEVER, if the tires have worn evenly, then there's zero reason for them to deny the claim, since the point of rotating is to ensure...even wear...

+1. If proof is needed, give proof. Not saying to lie of course...

Then with proof, escalate!

But if they weren't rotated, and the warranty terms says that it needs to be done, it's not clear how seeing the reason they said no would be difficult.

Originally Posted by T4RF
I'm not buying Yokos ever again. I have 15k on a set of AT G015's and they're down from 13/32" new to 7/32", which means they'll be done in a couple months- I'm hoping they make it through the winter. When I lost the first 3/32" in the first 7,000 miles, I called Yokohama and they told me the rotations had to be done in a tire shop with receipts. I told them that US warranty law says you can do your own basic maintenance, and they told me (very hesitantly) that they would take my printed maintenance log instead. However, I have no faith they'll actually follow through.

I've heard more stories on Yokohamas of poor tread life than any other tire. I'll be going back to Coopers, which I used for 60,000 miles in very rough service.

Now this is good info- bring up US Warranty law.

Even if you rotate them yourself it doesn't matter. These are yokahamas and man they sure ride rough compared to any other tire.

I've actually seen that written into some new tire warranties; of course, I don't know how much air it would hold, as it were, legally. I've seen some tire warranties state explicitly that the rotation must be done every so many kilometres (usually very few kilometres) and done through an accredited shop. Basically, what they expect to be done for warranty maintenance would cost more than the value of the tires, and I'm not doing that. I can rotate my tires just as proficiently as some kid getting minimum wage.

Originally Posted by rsylvstr
Originally Posted by JC1
talk about bad customer service......
How?
The warranty says rotate.
Don't?
No warranty.
Simple.
Exactly. Tire manufacturers warranty (as Critic linked), in this case Yokohama says rotate tires as "owner obligation" to maintain warranty. No rotation (in 30k miles here), warranty can be voided. Simple and explicit.

Rotations and balance are FOC with DT purchase and easily done IME of over a decade. Subsequently always gotten any proration deserved on treadwear warranty at DT.

So, not bad customer service. Bad owner maintenance, and DT following tire manufacturer (Yoko) written policy.

One of them is worn on the outside.

There's your problem.

The DT guy knew that if he submitted the tires for warranty, that wear was going to be questioned - and the claim would be rejected. The only hope he had was if there was proof of rotation and may be he could convince the tire manufacturer to do 3 out of the 4! (which is what I would do in his place.)

So, No! You got rejected because of the wear, not the lack of rotation records!

I'm surprised that if you're so smart about tires, and wear, why you would even start a thread like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back