Who here owns a Corvette?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
I'd rather have the worst Corvette over the best Mustang.

There are pills for your problem now.

What problem is that?

You are hallucinating.

Originally Posted by grampi
Originally Posted by Patman

You can rephrase this as many times as you want and it's still not going to be true. Early C6s had their problems too, some of them worse than C5s...I wouldn't touch an '05 C6 with a 10 foot pole...

Why do you say that? I had good luck with my 05, it was very reliable and I saved a few thousand compared to the 06s and 07s for sale in my area at the time.

According to the guys over on the Corvette site, they all say to stay away from pre '08 models, and especially the '05 model. I haven't read into the specifics because I'm mainly into C5s, but I trust the guys on that site...most of them know what they're talking about...

But you don't trust me? A lot of the guys that claim the 05 is so unreliable, have never owned one. They are going on hearsay.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice

And no.... I'm not fat, bald, have a mullet or wear a gold chain on my neck.
smile.gif

Hey, I resemble that remark....
smile.gif

On a more serious note, it's too bad that some people think the Corvette is for a certain group of people. The fact is any modern Corvette is (or can be) a world class sports car.

Last edited:
I own 2 C6 Corvettes. I've owned my 2005 Z51 M6 since new. Its VIN is around 5000, so its one of the early ones. It had to go back to the dealer for potential roof panel delamination, "dead battery syndrome" and a couple other minor items fixed under warranty. Some early LS2 motors also would toss off their harmonic balancer, but that issue was evidently fixed. I put I/H/E and tune and the car has been reliable ever since and is a joy to drive. The LS2 is a very torquey motor and even better mildly modded, though the LS3 is an improvement.

My 2008 Z06 has had heads done, cam, I/H/E and other upgrades for making it a better track day car. It has been essentially problem-free and a modded NA LS7 is really too much for the street.

Everyone has their preferences in the Corvette world. Personally, apart from C2 cars, I think the C6s are the best looking!...

Originally Posted by Cujet

On a more serious note, it's too bad that some people think the Corvette is for a certain group of people.

Whenever a large group of Corvette owners in my area get together for a cruise, you can see that it is appealing to a much wider range of personalities than a lot of people think. For instance, I went on a cruise with 70 other Vettes about a month ago and there were people from many different nationalities, women owners and men owners, and the ages ranged from their early 20s all the way to some in their 70s. But there were way less older owners than some people would figure. I have noticed a shift in the past 10 years or so that we're seeing a lot of younger buyers now, so maybe the stereotype was true a while ago but not anymore.

Originally Posted by Cujet
Originally Posted by Mr Nice

And no.... I'm not fat, bald, have a mullet or wear a gold chain on my neck.
smile.gif

Hey, I resemble that remark....
smile.gif

On a more serious note, it's too bad that some people think the Corvette is for a certain group of people. The fact is any modern Corvette is (or can be) a world class sports car.

Around here it's mainly girls that own them

Originally Posted by Anthony
Originally Posted by Silverado12
Here's something that will outrun those C5 Vettes LOL. Disclaimer: I actually wanted a Corvette but the Mustang fit me better and was easier to get in and out of.

Not a completely fair comparison but I recently spent a good amount of time in my Girlfriends parents 03 C5. The corvette is a higher tier car than a mustang so I guess my expectations were a bit high. But my 17 Mustang was more athletic from the engine to the chassis. Granted it has 85 more HP than that C5 but that C5 is over 450 lbs lighter.

Corvettes are awesome though. I will have a C7 at some point.

I don't get your comment about your Mustang being more athletic. I understand the '17 Mustang will accelerate harder than a C5, but it's not going to handle better...no way...

You haven't driven an S550 Mustang have you. I only mentioned the Mustang because of the last guy, and I think he mentioned the Mustang because you can probably get a much nicer much newer Mustang for the price of some of the older Vettes out there.

The content for the Money in the Stangs is very good. I surprised the world when I bought one.

Can't go wrong with a Vette in most cases though.

You can rephrase this as many times as you want and it's still not going to be true. Early C6s had their problems too, some of them worse than C5s...I wouldn't touch an '05 C6 with a 10 foot pole...

Why do you say that? I had good luck with my 05, it was very reliable and I saved a few thousand compared to the 06s and 07s for sale in my area at the time.

According to the guys over on the Corvette site, they all say to stay away from pre '08 models, and especially the '05 model. I haven't read into the specifics because I'm mainly into C5s, but I trust the guys on that site...most of them know what they're talking about...

But you don't trust me? A lot of the guys that claim the 05 is so unreliable, have never owned one. They are going on hearsay.

I have no reason not to, but you're just one example. Maybe you got a Wednesday car. Who knows? I've seen examples like this for a lot of different make and model vehicles. The general consensus my be it's problematic, but there will always be people who don't have problems with theirs. Take the C5 for example. People say to stay away from pre '01 models because they're harder to find parts for, and they tend to have a few more problems than the later models. There seem to be a lot of people in the Vette forum who are happy with their pre '01s. That tells me the percentage of actual problem cars are probably fairly low, but the squeaky wheel gets the attention, so we hear more of the bad than the good. That may be the case with '05 C6 too.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
Here's something that will outrun those C5 Vettes LOL. Disclaimer: I actually wanted a Corvette but the Mustang fit me better and was easier to get in and out of.

Not a completely fair comparison but I recently spent a good amount of time in my Girlfriends parents 03 C5. The corvette is a higher tier car than a mustang so I guess my expectations were a bit high. But my 17 Mustang was more athletic from the engine to the chassis. Granted it has 85 more HP than that C5 but that C5 is over 450 lbs lighter.

Corvettes are awesome though. I will have a C7 at some point.

I don't get your comment about your Mustang being more athletic. I understand the '17 Mustang will accelerate harder than a C5, but it's not going to handle better...no way...

You haven't driven an S550 Mustang have you. I only mentioned the Mustang because of the last guy, and I think he mentioned the Mustang because you can probably get a much nicer much newer Mustang for the price of some of the older Vettes out there.

The content for the Money in the Stangs is very good. I surprised the world when I bought one.

Can't go wrong with a Vette in most cases though.

I don't know what an S550 is, so I'm guessing I haven't. I have driven a 2011 Coyote with a 6 speed. It was impressive, but I didn't think it was C5 impressive. It accelerated pretty good, but I still think the C5 accelerated harder, and the C5 outhandled it by a mile, not even close...

They have come a long way since even 2011. I will note that a 2011 ZO6 and a new Mustang GT turn near-identical times at VIR.

I keep letting myself get dragged into this current model Mustang vs the Corvette from 2 generations ago comparison. Again, this isn't a Vette vs Stang thread, it's a Vette thread. I have nothing against the Mustang, I even owned one at one time, but they aren't a Vette...

I don't know what an S550 is, so I'm guessing I haven't. I have driven a 2011 Coyote with a 6 speed. It was impressive, but I didn't think it was C5 impressive. It accelerated pretty good, but I still think the C5 accelerated harder, and the C5 outhandled it by a mile, not even close...
[/quote]

You drove a S197 with a solid axle.
The S550 is the current generation with IRS.
Per Motor Trend the 11 Mustang GT Ran a near identical track time to the 2011 M3. I doubt the C5 was far ahead if any at all. The C5 runs Mid 13s stock in the 1/4. The 11 Mustang was 12.7 per Motor Trend.

Ok back to Vettes only.

You drove a S197 with a solid axle.
The S550 is the current generation with IRS.
Per Motor Trend the 11 Mustang GT Ran a near identical track time to the 2011 M3. I doubt the C5 was far ahead if any at all. The C5 runs Mid 13s stock in the 1/4. The 11 Mustang was 12.7 per Motor Trend.

Ok back to Vettes only. [/quote]

Mid 13s for a C5? For the A4 maybe, but I've seen stock 6 speeds running high 12s...it all depends on the driver...

Mid 13s for a C5? For the A4 maybe, but I've seen stock 6 speeds running high 12s...it all depends on the driver...

And the atmospheric conditions, and the condition of the track, AND the condition of the car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 02SE

And the atmospheric conditions, and the condition of the track, AND the condition of the car.

Yep!

Another reason I want a Vette is because of their rarity. Not that C5s are rare in that they demand a high selling price, that's not the case. I mean rare as in I don't see them on the streets every day like I do Mustangs, Camaros, and Challengers...I can't drive anywhere without seeing these cars everywhere! They're as common as a penny...

Completely stock my C5 ran 13.23 at around 105mph, it was an A4 with the 3.23 axle ratio. I then had it tuned and put on a Vararam cold air intake and it's best time was 12.81 at 109.

I have owned two c5's, only took one to the strip. Ran 12.5's in good air, street tires. Stick shift.

IME they were great cars, used to road course the one a lot. Inexpensive to maintain, just bought a lot of tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back