Rav4 4cyl oil pan gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to replace the oil pan gasket on my Rav4 this weekend. Bought the Fel-pro gasket. It comes with a gasket and 3 tubes of RTV. No instructions. I assume you put the RTV on the pan and gasket on top of that. Youtube videos show either the gasket or the RTV but not both. Any tips on this?

Is that RTV or Glue RTV?
Sometimes, you need it to hold it in place when placing the pan up to the engine.

Last edited:
Use RTV or the gasket but not both unless the bottom of timing cover is also being sealed (I have no idea on this engine) in which case just a little silicone at the joint.on each side on the block.
If not I would get some high tack from the parts store and use a thin coat on the pan, mount the gasket on the pan and put another thin coat on the gasket.
Be careful cleaning the old material off the block and pan, don't scratch it all up, a few very minor scratches are almost inevitable but don't dig in and score it.

https://www.autozone.com/sealants-g...op-can-high-tack-gasket-sealant/554063_0

49.gif

Stevie, that is one of the videos that I watched. Which is why I was surprised to receive both the RTV and the gasket.

JMJ, it's not glue, It's 3 tubes of black RTV silicone. Each tube is .5 oz.

Trav, I thought there was a small area that needed RTV but didn't expect 3 tubes. Thanks for the advice. Will follow this.

Well, keep the RTV for other project. LOL!!!
I think they just give it in the pack for completeness just in case you need it.

How are the pan bolts? I've seen some oil pan and trans pan bolts corroded so badly on RAV4's I'd be sure to be prepared for breakage.

The upper pan/block stiffener is sealed with RTV. The lower steel pan was bonded on with RTV - use the gasket but with high-tack/rubber cement/weatherstrip cement to "tack" it in place.

Don't use the RTV with the cork gasket, it will not only slip but cork gaskets do need oil contact to expand and seal.

Originally Posted by JTK
How are the pan bolts? I've seen some oil pan and trans pan bolts corroded so badly on RAV4's I'd be sure to be prepared for breakage.

Thanks. I'll be sure to save time to run to Home Depot for bolts just in case.

Originally Posted by andyd
Goop is for oil pan/ timing cvr junction?

Yep.

The Fel-Pro/Loctite RTV is decent for that job, Toyota 103 FIPG is ideal.

Finished the job. Used the gasket and high tack. Every bolt came out easily. Haven't filled it back up with oil yet. Letting the high tack set. There was some sludge in the bottom of the engine.

Good job
thumbsup2.gif
If there was sludge in the bottom of the engine I would run a quality synthetic and change it at shorter intervals than normal over the next couple of changes to facilitate a cleaning in other parts of the engine.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Good job
thumbsup2.gif
If there was sludge in the bottom of the engine I would run a quality synthetic and change it at shorter intervals than normal over the next couple of changes to facilitate a cleaning in other parts of the engine.

I'm not sure how much sludge is enough to worry about. It's getting its usual 10W-40 HM tomorrow morning because that's all I have at home.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
StevieC: it's too early in the morning to see this LOL! J/k
lol.gif
I'll pm you prior to make sure you are ready. Hahahahaha

Thanks all for the help on this. Was actually an easy job once I bought a 1/4 inch universal to deal with a couple bolts blocked by the exhaust pipe.

I put a small dab of rtv where I gouged the surface trying to remove the pan. Thought the high tack was very thin and just to hold the gasket to the surface. Didn't know it was medium thick and would have filled the small gouge.

Really appreciate the sharing of knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back