Rain-x Wiper Blades

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the Latitudes on 2 of my vehicles, 1999 Saab 9-3 convertible and a 2006 Trailblazer, both work very well. I cannot vouch for their longevity though as they have only been on about a month. Wife likes them though, and she is a tough critic on streaking wipers. I paid about $17 US at Walmart for them.

In my old Honda I used to run the beam type. They lasted a couple years if treated well. Now I realized OEM from dealer is about the same price or cheaper and they last just as long. So I use those.

They've lasted over two years on my son's car, but the same version (Latitude) lasted less than a year on my GF's car before skipping. That's not exactly a statistically significant sample, but enough to tell me that YMMV. My preference is the OEM blades refilled with silicone inserts. I order mine on eBay from several sellers in Malaysia. I pay about $8.00 for a pair. The ones on my car have done well, so far, for over two years.

A good periodic cleaning of the rubber using a paper towel and silicone (spray or brake fluid) helps keep them working well longer, in my experience.

Once the vehicle gets some years on it and the windshield has pits and scratches, which are normal, the inserts will not last as long because the glass becomes "abrasive."

I have a full set of Rain-X wiper blades sitting in the garage, traditional style. I have never used Rain-X blades.
Although I was about to order the PIAA Silicone blades today, I think I might as well throw on the Rain-X blades and try them.
We are expecting rain this week. I think Wednesday, so guess I'll see how the Rain-X blade fair.
I wished we would have got rain sooner - its a mess with the Camp Fire here in Calif.

Rainx is all I've used the past several years. I got tired of buying the cheapest blades around, and then having to replace them every 1-2 years or so. I forget how long Rainx blades last---they go for years and years. The Rainx have a nice rubber that adheres to the contour of the windshield, instead of getting hard and staying off the glass, which of course leaves rain water on the windshield. That was also a problem I used to have with the cheapo versions. I'm not saying they are the only good ones--but when I decided to buy more expensive blades, these were the brand that was recommended more often than others, so I bought them, and I've been very pleased.

I just changed out the 4 year old Latitudes for another set last week, these were not finished but with winter setting in I figured its not worth waiting til one fails in a snow storm.
These are the only blades other than OE that fit VW really well, even the Bosch Icons are a poor fit, the new mounting system for J hooks is fantastic, the easiest ever.

These are the best and longest lasting blades I have used bar non and I have tried every single one of them inc silicone and OE.

I love the Rain-X Latitudes and they're my go to wiper. Not that I don't like or haven't used other beam style wiper blades, I just gravitate to the Rain-X Lat's.

The Latitudes are good, but dang they are expensive.

Don't get that much severe Winter weather down here in NC, so I just buy their Weatherbeater line. I can buy them at RuralKing for $6.49 each. Have a set on my Olds that's slightly over two years old still getting the job done.

I use the lower end rain-X wipers from Walmart in Texas with no complaints. I'm particular about my windows so I change them twice a year and use Rain-X coating as well. Works great, I am fearless in the rain.

Drive my sisters car a few weeks ago and forgot what it is like to not have rain-x or aquapel in the windshield with good wipers. Hers were 5 years old and splitting on the ends. blind as a bat during heavy down pours. I was ready to pull over in rain I didn't blink an eye at in my truck.

Originally Posted by Errtt
I have a full set of Rain-X wiper blades sitting in the garage, traditional style. I have never used Rain-X blades.
Although I was about to order the PIAA Silicone blades today, I think I might as well throw on the Rain-X blades and try them.
We are expecting rain this week. I think Wednesday, so guess I'll see how the Rain-X blade fair.
I wished we would have got rain sooner - its a mess with the Camp Fire here in Calif.

I replaced the wipers and they were the Rain-X Weatherbeaters.
New tires yesterday, new wipers today, should be good to go for any rain later this week.

The wipers I removed were the Bosch Micro-Tek. They were still doing good, so they go in the back cargo space for just-in-case spares.

My experience with most conventional wipers blades is that they work fine for the first few rain storms, but not so well afterward.

Originally Posted by BigD1
The Latitudes are good, but dang they are expensive.

Yes, they are expensive however, Walmart has'em for ~ $16-$17 each and I can often buy them at Ollie's or Big Lots closeout stores for $5/each. They're usually called Rain-X "HORIZON", probably from other markets. But, they're the same beam style.

Last edited:
I like my Rain X Export Fit blades that Walmart sell for $9.94 each . It is nice they got that cover over the top of them like my original blades. seem to work well . Don`t know how long they will hold up yet.

I bought the more expensive rain x blades from auto zone the other day. Replaced my 2 years bosh icons. Haven't used them yet.

I used them once. I got well less than a year on them. Would not go back. Although they gave me similar use to the very expensive Bosch Icons, which I will not buy again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back