A tale about air filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSV

I went shopping for air filters for my Nissan Frontier. (4cyl. KA24DE) I was going for the immediate gratification so I didn't order an OEM part online which is my usual practice.

My last air filter for this truck was a Napa Gold that was made in Thailand. Terry thought it did a great job when he interpreted my last UOA. I went to a Napa and looked at the #6027 filters and now they are made in So. Korea. They also sell for $12.80. I decide to keep looking just out of curiosity. I went to a Pep Boys and looked at the Frams and the Purolator. Same filter. So. Korea 11.50 and 12.99.

Just for the **** of it I popped in to a Nissan dealer (partly to look at the sweet 350Z convertable) and bought the Nissan filter.

Made in USA (probably Tennex) $12.44, much nicer build quality.

Sometimes the dealers aren't the ones ripping you off. I could buy the same filter online for $10 including shipping. Either deal is better than the parts stores in my mind.

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

I found the same with my PT Cruiser (not as through a search though). NAPA didn't make a Gold air filter for it. Purolator looked OK, but not great. Didn't want to go Fram. The OEM filter looked good quality, generous pleat count. I wasn't worried about a few extra bucks for the filter, don't have to change it that often...

I very recently changed the air filter in my 99 Nissan Sentra because of driving in some very dusty conditions. At a parts store I selected STP because it looked like better quality than another brand in stock. Yesterday I was in Wal-Mart and looked at a Fram air filter for my car. Somewhat to my surprise its construction appeared to be of considerably better quality than the STP and whatever other ones I looked at. I am well aware this isn't the experience many of you have had. But, in my case it was this way. I appreciate all you who make so many useful comments here.

I bought a STP air filter for my Suzuki Sidekick. I was surprised to read "Made in Israel" on it. Are any oil or air filters made in Japan? It appears even the OEM filters for Japanese cars are made outside Japan.

quote:

Originally posted by kansaisubaru:
I bought a STP air filter for my Suzuki Sidekick. I was surprised to read "Made in Israel" on it. Are any oil or air filters made in Japan? It appears even the OEM filters for Japanese cars are made outside Japan.

I believe the Toyota filters are made in Japan...

Donaldson have had a factory in Japan since, I think, the mid sixties.
A Sakura (made in Japan) filter taken off our Nissan Patrol last week definately looked like a Donaldson, with its distinctive perforated louvre centre tube.

Rick.

quote:

Originally posted by jsharp:
I believe the Toyota filters are made in Japan...

unfortunately this is changing with the oil filters at least, they are being outsourced to Thailand, I ordered 20 of the much higher quality Japaneses filters (90915-20004) before they sold out

my OEM Toyota air filter was huge made by Denso, larger diameter, more pleats add up to much more surface area than the K&N it replaced (previous owner install) but it was over $20 even with a 25% discount

here is the old K&N next to the OEM
 -

My original filter in my 2001 Miata was made in Japan. The only filter near its quality was the NAPA GOLD. OEM was a real disappointment. The NAPA GOLD looked to be identical to the made in Japan except they added a few extra pleats just to better them I guess. Made in US and better than Japanesse quality is great indeed.
patriot.gif

I use FRAM air filters, and i love them! HAHA! Its True!

Honestly, i dont get all crazy about the air filters, the FRAM air filters i buy are just the same as the other cheap ones. No one company has a consistant design and quality of paper air filter, as you all know by telling us the differences between stores. I buy the FRAMs because there cheap in price and there quality is usually the same as my OEM filters. (i only buy air filters from FRAM, NOTHING ELSE!)

If you can get OEM for the same (or lower) price than aftermarket, then I say go for it.

quote:

Originally posted by RedWolf4000:
I use FRAM air filters, and i love them! HAHA! Its True!

Honestly, i dont get all crazy about the air filters, the FRAM air filters i buy are just the same as the other cheap ones. No one company has a consistant design and quality of paper air filter, as you all know by telling us the differences between stores. I buy the FRAMs because there cheap in price and there quality is usually the same as my OEM filters. (i only buy air filters from FRAM, NOTHING ELSE!)

I avoid Fram *anything* like the plague simply because I've seen the quality....er, crap....they pass off as oil filters. In my way of thinking, they're trying to scam you on the oil filters because you can't see how cheap they're made unless you actually destroy one (i.e. cut it open). They'd do the same thing with air filters if they thought you'd be none the wiser.

No Fram products will ever be found in my house!!!

I use the Fram 8162 for my 99 Elantra. No problems. Says "Made in Korea" on the filter, so maybe these are just re-badged Frams built by the Hyundai oem manufacturer. Anyway, quality is very good and they have never failed me.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back