NEW! Shell Rotella Gas Truck Full Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Believe it or not, that's actually not a big deal for people managing a fleet, which may be the primary target for marketing this product. Historically, when I've wanted a quantity of oil, I've often gone to the distributor or just called them. If you order enough quantity, it's going to get delivered anyhow. Order a few drums of 15w-40 or 10w-30 HDEO, and tack on a few cases of this for the gasoline engines at the same time. I would not be surprised in the least, particularly up here, if over the last few years, people would place a Rotella order, and then run dexos1 past the guy on the phone for the Chevy work trucks, and get a confused response from the telephone representative, since Formula Shell has no dexos1 product, and often enough up here, the mainline Shell guy can't get Pennzoil or Quaker State.

And, as wemay notes, too, marketing the PCMO for the person driving the Honda won't impress the pickup crowd.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Originally Posted by njohnson
I don't think Shell means it this way with the marketing, but, when I see them come out with an oil like this, it is as if they are saying that their other synthetic pcmo oils, Pennzoil Platinum, Ultra, Quakerstate Ultimate Durability is designed for cars and SUVs and trucks that are used to haul people around and is not robust enough for hard working trucks that tow and haul heavy loads. Are their other oils not up to the task? Is Shell, in a roundabout way, admitting that they don't provide adequate protection when working trucks hard? If they do provide enough wear protection, then, this is fine marketing.

Another thing is, when trucks are worked hard, their engines generate more heat. Shell most likely boosted the amount of antioxidant to help keep the oil from oxidizing as quickly from the high heat.

That is what Mobil did with their 5W-30 Truck and SUV formula years ago. When asked what was different about it, Mobil said they had increased the amount of antioxidant, which helps when trucks and SUVs tow loads. I think I remember reading that on their website.
The original M1 Truck & SUV 5W40 (CI-4+ & CI-4) was Delvac 1, for about half the price (at WM) as D1 was at the truck stops, used a fair amount in the older Cummins Ram. Unfortunately Mobil eventually watered it down somewhat & then made it TDT. This Shell offering has wait & see written all over it, when I see VOAs that showing it outperforming Magnatec 5W30 in demanding Ecoboost applications, then I'll believe it's for real.

Yes, I read that the older M1 Truck and SUV 5W-40 was rebadged Delvac 1. But, that is not the product I am referring to, what I am talking about is Mobil had another Truck and SUV formula, made for GASOLINE engines, and it was 5W-30. Part of the marketing was that it was for hard working truck and SUV engines. I guess it didn't really sell well, maybe? Mobil discontinued making it a few years ago, I don't even know when they come out with it. I remember a few years ago, standing in AutoZone, checking the oil racks, and there was a separate clearance shelf, and there was some on it. I thought about trying it, being on clearance and all, but, didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back