oil quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check the labels on the major brand oils sold at Walmart and compare them to the ones sold at AutoZone or similar auto parts stores. There is no difference. If Walmart was getting a lesser quality oil there would have to be some differentiation on the label.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by KrisZ
Form what I understand Walmart has their own jug size that is not sold in other stores, but the product inside is the same. They do this so people cannot price match with them. Price match requires for the products to be identical, by having a difference in quantity, they don't have to honour their price matching policy.

I'd don't find this to be true they carry oil in five quart Jugs, gallon Jugs and quarts just like every one else?????

In the past Wal-Mart had 5 quart jugs and parts stores had 5.1 quart jugs.

Originally Posted by madeej11
Certain products could potentially have lesser quantities. Fuel in the Bic lighters, less alkiline in the Aa,9v batteries even a couple of less ounces in oil jugs. And yes manufacturers could do a special run for WM, why not, they order large enough quantities. What WM wants WM gets.

Except the dexos1 license is the same for the Walmart product and the non-Walmart bottles. Different products require different licenses for dexos1, not to mention API.

Originally Posted by Garak
Certain products could potentially have lesser quantities. Fuel in the Bic lighters, less alkiline in the Aa,9v batteries even a couple of less ounces in oil jugs. And yes manufacturers could do a special run for WM, why not, they order large enough quantities. What WM wants WM gets.

Except the dexos1 license is the same for the Walmart product and the non-Walmart bottles. Different products require different licenses for dexos1, not to mention API.

I don't know, am I speaking a totally different language? I Never mentioned quality, read again, Quantity and not on engine oil specifically but potentially on almost any product that they can get away with doing it.

Originally Posted by oldmaninsc

https://mobiloil.com/en/faq/ask-our...to-experts/difference-in-product-quality

Of course Mobil is not going to admit it(now I'm talking quality). If there were a difference between say Pep Boys and WM they would probably just tell us some crap about batch variation. In other words they'd put such a spin on matters that we might just say forget it, not worth pursuing through all the red tape.

It's the same no matter where you buy oil. If the formula is different then a difference license number would have to be used. Garak was trying to make it clear.

As for different volumes, the Bureau Of Standards sets those regulations. Five quarts is five quarts, period.

It's because Walmart buys more bulk oil than anyone else that they can sell it for a lot less. I'm sure the oil companies give them a nice discount due to the amount they buy as well so there's that.

Of course Mobil is not going to admit it(now I'm talking quality). If there were a difference between say Pep Boys and WM they would probably just tell us some crap about batch variation. In other words they'd put such a spin on matters that we might just say forget it, not worth pursuing through all the red tape.

Thanks for sharing you don't know anything about licenses, quality, business, or the topic in general.

Don't care what anyone says, I don't think WM plays by the same rules. Bullies usually don't.

The answer is easy. Don't shop at Walmart.

Don't care what anyone says, I don't think WM plays by the same rules. Bullies usually don't.

When you're a Big Box store the people give you the best price or you don't buy. If you don't understand that you'd better not be running a business.

Originally Posted by dave1251

Thanks for sharing you don't know anything about licenses, quality, business, or the topic in general.

And you do? You're talking like you may have some special credentials that we don't know about. Gimme a break.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

When you're a Big Box store the people give you the best price or you don't buy. If you don't understand that you'd better not be running a business.

No I'm not running a business but you might like to speak with Dave1251, I think he heads up a few corporations.

Last edited:

Apparently you are one who's mind is made up and don't confuse me with the facts.

I don't know, am I speaking a totally different language? I Never mentioned quality, read again, Quantity and not on engine oil specifically but potentially on almost any product that they can get away with doing it.

Oh, pardon me, my mistake. You did say quantities. As for quantities, we know darn well that Walmart has used different quantities on both sides of the border, in comparison to other retailers. You've seen the 4.73 L Canadian Pennzoil, Quaker State, and Valvoline bottles that you almost never see at another retailer. They also get the 4 L Imperial Oil products more often than other retailers. Wasn't Walmart in the States often doing a 5.1 quart thing or something, too?

Now, if it were quality, as I mentioned, the dexos1 license or API license, for instance, is the same whether it's QSUD 5w-30 in one litre bottle or a 55 gallon drum. Conversely, the QSUD 5w-30 license is different than that of PP 5w-30.

Last edited:
Madeej11- So a multi-billion dollar conglomerate retailer (Walmart) is going to partner with one of the worlds largest oil companies Exxon Mobil (A company who has its own F$#%^% state department) to save what a few cents per QT if that on the oil? They are not stupid, they saw VW group's a$##^%^#@. They know people have oil analysis done on vehicles and run their products on cars ranging from beaters to Bentley's, and buy it for the warranty claim it makes. Exxon would never risk their reputation or the legal repercussions in the US or Canada. But hey if you buy that, I got a golden tower for sale in NY you might be interested in. It's beautiful. Believe Me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Garak
... Wasn't Walmart in the States often doing a 5.1 quart thing or something, too? ...
Advance Auto did that, I assume so they wouldn't have to match prices of 5-quart containers sold elsewhere.
The reason you see 4.73 L containers is straightforward, less devious.

I was told the same thing about their tires, that you arent buying the same tire as Tirerack or who ever.

It's all BS.

We just recently got a Rural King and they had Stanadyne Diesel Additive $19.99 for 64oz. Everywhere else is $29.99 for the same. How, I have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back