Do you use a open drain pan or a closed one with a pour spout?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomorrow I may take a pic of my oil drain pan that probably has had more M1 oil drained into it than perhaps any pan(private owner) in the country. Maybe the world!!!

"...has had more M1 oil drained into it than perhaps any pan(private owner) in the country. Maybe the world!!!", you say?

There must be an oil catch pan badge (like a high mileage badge) to commemorate this!

It feels good to get use out of anything. That's why I mentioned my $7 pan. I think there was still silver in our coinage when I bought it.

Directly into one of these:
[Linked Image]

Bag it up and into the trash.

Originally Posted by Kibitoshin
[Linked Image]

I have never seen such a thing. But I would feel bad not recycling the oil.

A closed top drain pan is totally useless. Good luck trying to catch hot 5W-20 oil from a horizontal drain plug. I can't even do it every time with a big open top one. Might as well dump it into the ground and water, like many people did not so long ago, and still happens. End.

Last edited:
Have some of both … find the open top to splash on concrete a bit less since the fastest flow (plug out) lands deep …

Like to size for the job … like my FWD ATF jobs are measured … but the V8's hold 2x that in motor oil … so grab something like others posted with spout …

Now funnels … that's turned into a outright collection … 🤪

Originally Posted by StevieC
Open but deep with a pour nozzle on the one corner. Works great. Harbor Freight.

Something like this but not exactly. Mine is more square and the nozzle is on the one corner... These are fine though.

[Linked Image]

I have the same quality product. Works great.

Originally Posted by ZZman
Originally Posted by Kibitoshin
[Linked Image]

I have never seen such a thing. But I would feel bad not recycling the oil.

Very common to use these in Hawaii since there is no place that can take residential used oil. Our trash gets incinerated and fuels generators which creates electricity for the island.

Closed top with a spout. Less splash and mess when I carry it around.

I use kerosene to wipe it down when done.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Something like this but not exactly. Mine is more square and the nozzle is on the one corner... These are fine though.

Mine is similar to your picture, but with less fancy ribs and flutes and so forth, and at the "back end," the lip extends over the inside volume, rather than the other direction.

With my MB 420SEL, I used to employ a pan that closed so you could take it to Autozone or wherever for recycling. Then one fine day it began to leak during the oil change, and not slowly. I finished the change, bagged the pan up, and disposed of it, never mind how. Then I bought a Topsider extractor the next day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back