Permanent gloves for changing oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like using the thin cloth gloves you can buy at the dollar store. They have the little grippy bits on them for better grip. (they could be similar to the ones Yah-Tah-Hey mentioned above) If I'm not too messy I can get a few oil changes out of them before they get soaked with oil but they are cheap enough that even if I only get one use out of them it's no biggie.

Buy a dozen of those inexpensive brown cotton gloves you see in the glove aisle at HF, painting aisle at HD, etc. Then get the 5 mil HF Nitrile gloves....if the size you buy are tight on bare hands, move up a size. Use the cotton gloves as liners, put the nitrile over them.

It won't protect you from glowing hot metal, but hot oil, yes.

Also good for handling hot meats off the smoker, etc.

I buy both the latex and nitrile ones from HF. The blue nitrile tear pretty fast, but usually I'm working for 5-10 minutes and then along comes a good reason to pull them off. Oil changes I find the latex are a bit cheaper and I find I keep changing gloves anyhow.

Stuff that isn't too oily and I tend to wear mechanics gloves, point being to prevent damage to me. My first pair that I had, went to bleed the brake or similar, took the glove off as I didn't want to get it oily--and immediately smashed my finger against something, cutting it open. Lesson learned!

Even still, I keep Dawn soap by the sink as sometimes I just wind up working sans gloves. You do lose some textile feel, which can be important when lining up parts to get a bolt threaded in.

Originally Posted by blupupher
Most of the mechanic gloves I have seen are oil/grease resistant, not oil proof.

Yes! I'll wear them on occasion, but inevitably, there will be an accident, especially with me, then the gloves wind up being relegated to only oil changes, or I'll mess up everything else I touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back