Why Amsoil say its diesel additive can cause cancer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I want to buy Amsoil diesel additive .I found on the bottle Amsoil say it has a compound can cause cancer.What is this compound? I never found such warning on STP or WHIZ.Is Amsoil ok to use?

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Almost every single petroleum car product I have ever seen has cancer warnings.

+1 It's the laws today and the required labels these products have to carry. Not specific to Amsoil. If you are concerned look up the SDS on the product to see what it contains and what the risk is. (low usually)

Apparently just living in California increases your risk of cancer.
lol.gif

Last edited:
I'm not sure which one that is but you can find their safety data sheets (SDS) here:

https://www.amsoil.com/msds/

I couldn't find any motor oil that had a cancer warning but the brake cleaner does. The SDS will tell you the known carcinogens.

Usually it's the used oil that is carcinogenic due to contamination from combustion.

Yup, don't bathe in it. If I was a professional, I'd take safety precautions. Getting some oil on me a few times a year shouldn't be a problem but I wouldn't want to do that every day or week.

As a chemist, I have to say that this has become a joke in CA. Everything is labeled this way. So what does that mean? Don't use anything? Be careful handling it (always was, even without the warning). I do not know what they are trying to accomplish with this. The average person sees it so often out there they ignore it.

As someone who spent too many years handling neat lube additives and oils of every description, I would say ALWAYS treat these warnings seriously! I have seen a number of colleagues succumb to The Big C in their late '50s/early '60s. Coincidence? Maybe. Might they have died regardless? Yes perhaps but all chemicals, especially complex mixtures which are inherently chemically 'vague', are insidious little buggers and have nasty way of catching you out health-wise.

I ALWAYS wore latex gloves as a bare minimum, even for handling the notionally innocuous stuff like base oil (IMO there's nothing innocuous about Bright Stock!). Gloves are dirt cheap so use them.

Oh, and always work on the assumption that used oil is by far & away the nastiest of the nasty so protect yourself when it's oil change time.

Take precautions like wearing gloves or a mask depending on what you are using, sure. But to not buy an additive because it contains this warning is a bit of an over-reach and I think that is what the op was getting at because the messaging can easily make one think it's as bad as asbestos.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
Take precautions like wearing gloves or a mask depending on what you are using, sure. But to not buy an additive because it contains this warning is a bit of an over-reach and I think that is what the op was getting at because the messaging can easily make one think it's as bad as asbestos.

Is asbestos that bad?

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Somewhat related, guess who was given these stickers and told to put them on items around the shop?

Did you have to put them on everything in site, including larger labels with the same wording?
wink.gif

Those were from Castrol and I had a huge list of possible products on site and what labels to put them on. Pretty much our bulk oil tank for the Castrol 0W20 we get from Mazda. Some may have ended up on people's desks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back