2018 Ford Focus Titanium OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

The intelligent oil monitor went on the first time after ~ 12000 miles / 8 months and I am thinking about the costs of oil changes in the next few years. I have done some simple math and came out with three plans:

1. Every 5000 mile / 2 month
SuperTech 0W-20 and SuperTech filters
cost per year (including labor and taxes) ~ 300

2. Every 7500 mile / 3 month
M1 EP 5W-20 / Fram Ultra
cost ~ 260

3. Every 10000 mile / 4 month
M1 AP 0W-20 / Fram Ultra
cost ~ 240

Savings from doing extended drain are not that significant, but you save the time and hassle. I will be driving around 25000 highway / 5000 city miles per year.

I wonder why the numbers of M1 EP 5W-20 look better than 0W-20, but in reverse M1 AP 0W-20 got better numbers than 5W-20? And Ford says never exceed 10000 miles between oil change, but the intelligent oil monitor exceeds that limit?

I have done a few oil changes before the oil monitor comes out. The first three were done at 100, 1000 and 2500 miles with SuperTech 0W-20 and Fram Ultra, and then 5000 and 10000 but with SuperTech filters. I do not stress the car much, so it should break in nicely. But I am concerned that the oil looks dark after 5000 miles, and it looks nicer (Brown) when having only 3000 miles. According to the owner manual, my driving pattern should be fine for 7500-10000 OCI, but the oil color kinda puts me into question. I always put 93-octane gas as Ford recommends 91-octane or above.

The Focus is just awesome. Great look, impressive handling and fuel economy for the price. I plan to keep the Focus for 2-3 more years, and will be upgrading to a Fusion, if Ford is still making cars at that point.

What do you think? And have a great Thanks-giving!

Last edited:
I guess he'd have to show us his work. Looking at the middle, though, I can't see why not to use the M1 EP 5w-20 for the ten thousand miles instead of 7500. It's still before the OLM seems to go off for him, and would save a little more.

messenger300: As to why the OLM goes off beyond 10000 miles, that's a question one would have to ask Ford. They probably never bothered to dump it into their algorithm or something.

So you are saying you are driving 30.000 miles a year?
You are driving lots and lots in short periods of time, i would do 3 oil changes a year, every 10.000 miles with M1 5W-20 EP and the Fram Ultra.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
So you are saying you are driving 30.000 miles a year?
You are driving lots and lots in short periods of time, i would do 3 oil changes a year.

Agree. But since you're only keeping it 3 more years anyway, no need to use anything special when it comes to oil, just whatever is cheapest and meets Ford's requirements.

If it were my Focus, I would probably use Motorcraft 5W20 or QS Ultimate and a NAPAGold 1348. 5,000 to 7,500 miles.

Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

...Wow, you put on a lot of miles. What kind of driving do you do; city, highway, stop & go etc? If you are in the DC area, your driving conditions can go from OK to Ugly in a heartbeat (I live about 20 miles from DC and know the general area well).

Just out of curiosity, do you have the 2.0 or 2.3L engine? What oil does Ford recommend? If they say either 0-20 or 5-20, I would go with 0-20 in winter and 5-20 otherwise. Since you're driving about 18,000 mi/year I'd do 6,000 mi OCIs. That will keep your warranty in good shape and also keep your engine nice & clean.

Ray

That's a lot of highway miles and long trips in general. If anyone could go 10k, it would be you. Don't over think the color, send a sample at 10k for analysis. I'll bet you could do even more than 10k.

Originally Posted by philipp10
That's a lot of highway miles and long trips in general. If anyone could go 10k, it would be you. Don't over think the color, send a sample at 10k for analysis. I'll bet you could do even more than 10k.

Philipp10... I happen to notice the OP posts his residence in DC but don't know if that's USA (District of Columbia) or the Columbia in South America. Since he's citing in miles, I think he's in the US...

Anyhow, if he's in the Nation's Capital area, he's doing a lot of stop & go crawling. If he's in South America, he could have a huge range of driving conditions mixed with a lot of dusty roads.

Ray

Last edited:
Originally Posted by messenger300
Hi,

The intelligent oil monitor went on the first time after ~ 12000 miles / 8 months and I am thinking about the costs of oil changes in the next few years. I have done some simple math and came out with three plans:

1. Every 5000 mile / 2 month
SuperTech 0W-20 and SuperTech filters
cost per year (including labor and taxes) ~ 300

2. Every 7500 mile / 3 month
M1 EP 5W-20 / Fram Ultra
cost ~ 260

3. Every 10000 mile / 4 month
M1 AP 0W-20 / Fram Ultra
cost ~ 240

Savings from doing extended drain are not that significant, but you save the time and hassle. I will be driving around 25000 highway / 5000 city miles per year.

I wonder why the numbers of M1 EP 5W-20 look better than 0W-20, but in reverse M1 AP 0W-20 got better numbers than 5W-20? And Ford says never exceed 10000 miles between oil change, but the intelligent oil monitor exceeds that limit?

I have done a few oil changes before the oil monitor comes out. The first three were done at 100, 1000 and 2500 miles with SuperTech 0W-20 and Fram Ultra, and then 5000 and 10000 but with SuperTech filters. I do not stress the car much, so it should break in nicely. But I am concerned that the oil looks dark after 5000 miles, and it looks nicer (Brown) when having only 3000 miles. According to the owner manual, my driving pattern should be fine for 7500-10000 OCI, but the oil color kinda puts me into question. I always put 93-octane gas as Ford recommends 91-octane or above.

The Focus is just awesome. Great look, impressive handling and fuel economy for the price. I plan to keep the Focus for 2-3 more years, and will be upgrading to a Fusion, if Ford is still making cars at that point.

What do you think? And have a great Thanks-giving!

Since you plan on getting rid of the vehicle early (3y), buy cheapest oils and filter - then change every 10K.
Example: Supertech Synthetic and either Fram Extra Guard or Supertech filter. Look for sales at NAPA for their synthetic oils and Silver filters.

I'd do Mobile 1 EP 5w20 or Castrol edge 5w20, which ever one is one sale for 10k oci and a fram ultra every 20k.

Originally Posted by RayCJ

Philipp10... I happen to notice the OP posts his residence in DC but don't know if that's USA (District of Columbia) or the Columbia in South America. Since he's citing in miles, I think he's in the US...

Anyhow, if he's in the Nation's Capital area, he's doing a lot of stop & go crawling. If he's in South America, he could have a huge range of driving conditions mixed with a lot of dusty roads.

Ray

even if it is stop and go....those are easy miles. Think New York taxis that last 300k easily.

Ray

even if it is stop and go....those are easy miles. Think New York taxis that last 300k easily.

Do NY taxis have 2.3L DI engines?

Hello all,

Thank you so much for the replies! The numbers are ~20 for labor, the cost of the oil and filter in Walmart, and finally the fuel cost to get to the lube place (they do an amazing job and very friendly so I don't bother taking the car to other places).

I live in the god's country and commute to DC. I also like to drive around when I got day-offs. My car has the 2.0 engine with 160 HP, and 2.3 is EcoBoost and is available to Focus RS only (350 HP!) . Most of the miles are steady highway with some occasional city miles or idling, making around 25000 highway miles and 5000 city miles per year.

I plan to use M1 EP for 7500 miles and M1 AP for 10000 miles since ExxonMobil guarantees 15000 / 20000 miles respectively. I think it may be a good idea if I just divide the number by 2. I do not want to push the oil to the limit, but also I don't want to spend unnecessary money and time on it.

My plan is to work oversea for a few years. If I got the chance I will be selling the car before leaving (around 2020) but if I stay I will be keeping the Focus until ~2022 and then get a new Ford. I appreciate your input!

Originally Posted by messenger300
Hello all,

Thank you so much for the replies! The numbers are ~20 for labor, the cost of the oil and filter in Walmart, and finally the fuel cost to get to the lube place (they do an amazing job and very friendly so I don't bother taking the car to other places).

I live in the god's country and commute to DC. I also like to drive around when I got day-offs. My car has the 2.0 engine with 160 HP, and 2.3 is EcoBoost and is available to Focus RS only (350 HP!) . Most of the miles are steady highway with some occasional city miles or idling, making around 25000 highway miles and 5000 city miles per year.

I plan to use M1 EP for 7500 miles and M1 AP for 10000 miles since ExxonMobil guarantees 15000 / 20000 miles respectively. I think it may be a good idea if I just divide the number by 2. I do not want to push the oil to the limit, but also I don't want to spend unnecessary money and time on it.

My plan is to work oversea for a few years. If I got the chance I will be selling the car before leaving (around 2020) but if I stay I will be keeping the Focus until ~2022 and then get a new Ford. I appreciate your input!

The iOLM does not even push the spec fluid which anycurrent API PCMO off the shelf meets. Using a store brand synthetic will easily handle the recommended OCI with life left over.

Follow the IOLM, use any oil that meets the ford spec in your owner's manual.

I have a 100,000 mile 2011 F150 with Pennzoil conventional oil and changes by the IOLM (which tells me to change it roughly every 10K miles). Pennzoil conventional meets the Ford spec in my owner's manual. Engine has no issues and doesn't burn oil.

With all due respect, you're wasting your money and wasting oil by doing changes more frequently, DI engine or not. Especially true given that you're stating you will probably own the vehicle for 3 years.

Just went to Walmart and all Supertech 20 grade oils are gone. Picked up the Valvoline synthetic 5W20 and a Fram Ultra and plan to run it 10000 miles. Thanks for all the suggestions!!

Ray

I don't think there's such a place in the country of COLOMBIA as DC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back