2015 Ford Edge 6F35 Trans Check Plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
We recently purchased a 2015 Edge with the 2.0 Ecoboost engine. It just rolled 30k. I have been looking for info on changing the trans fluid in it and have seen quite a few references to the older 6F35 transmissions, but not much about the newer ones, especially in the Edge. I have attached a pic of what I am thinking is the fluid level check plug. Can anyone verify if this is the correct plug to check the level?

As I understand from the other info I have gathered, you remove this plug with the vehicle warm and running and check to see if fluid is at the bottom of the check hole? If it is then it is full, correct?

Thanks

Steve

Trans Check Circled .jpg

Originally Posted by clinebarger
That is the check plug.
The vehicle MUST be level, The ATF temperature MUST be between 185 & 200 degrees.

Thank you. I am assuming that once the engine is up to temperature that the transmission would be also?

Not necessarily, I have to power brake some vehicles to get the ATF up to temp in colder ambient's. Nothing crazy or abusive.....About 1200-1500 rpm in drive against the brakes. The torque converter will build heat & brings the ATF up to temp.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Not necessarily, I have to power brake some vehicles to get the ATF up to temp in colder ambient's. Nothing crazy or abusive.....About 1200-1500 rpm in drive against the brakes. The torque converter will build heat & brings the ATF up to temp.

How long do you need to brake torque it to get the temp up, or how long would I need to drive it normally to get to the proper temp?

Originally Posted by velcro7279
clinebarger said:
How long do you need to brake torque it to get the temp up, or how long would I need to drive it normally to get to the proper temp?

He's in Tex you're in Mich so the amount of time will be different, but if you drive normally for about 30 minutes this ought to bring the temp up to the right range, but you must have something to measure it to be sure.

Last edited:
Another option that I've been using with our 2017 Explorer is to do a "cold" drain and fill, measure and refill with the same temp ATF as removed. I do this in my driveway. The night before I'm going to do the drain & fill I drive the Explorer onto ramps. the next morning I drain the ATF into a measured bucket and refill with the same amount that drained out back into the vent tube in my case, no dipstick.. We bought the Explorer new and have done this at 12,000 mi, 10,000 mi and 10,000 mi. intervals to clean out the initial factory fill and wear material. This last 10,000 mi change the magnetic drain plug was totally clean even though the fluid was a dark purple gray, not the clean red of the new fluid. Of course I'm assuming the initial fill level was correct. Since the shifting quality has been great I'm assuming the refill amount is more than sufficient. My Ford dealer will not do a drain and fill, only a complete "flush" or fluid exchange for over $200 using bulk LV ATF fluid. Do they even clean out the lines and tanks of previous ATF fluid between fluid flushes/exchanges, who knows. I would not want to mix Mercon V or any other transmission fluid into a transmission that needs Mercon LV.

Whimsey

Originally Posted by Pelican
clinebarger said:

He's in Tex you're in Mich so the amount of time will be different, but if you drive normally for about 30 minutes this ought to bring the temp up to the right range, but you must have something to measure it to be sure.

With it being almost winter here I would probably have to do a little more than 30 minutes.

Originally Posted by Whimsey
Another option that I've been using with our 2017 Explorer is to do a "cold" drain and fill, measure and refill with the same temp ATF as removed. I do this in my driveway. The night before I'm going to do the drain & fill I drive the Explorer onto ramps. the next morning I drain the ATF into a measured bucket and refill with the same amount that drained out back into the vent tube in my case, no dipstick.. We bought the Explorer new and have done this at 12,000 mi, 10,000 mi and 10,000 mi. intervals to clean out the initial factory fill and wear material. This last 10,000 mi change the magnetic drain plug was totally clean even though the fluid was a dark purple gray, not the clean red of the new fluid. Of course I'm assuming the initial fill level was correct. Since the shifting quality has been great I'm assuming the refill amount is more than sufficient. My Ford dealer will not do a drain and fill, only a complete "flush" or fluid exchange for over $200 using bulk LV ATF fluid. Do they even clean out the lines and tanks of previous ATF fluid between fluid flushes/exchanges, who knows. I would not want to mix Mercon V or any other transmission fluid into a transmission that needs Mercon LV.

Whimsey

Thanks for the idea. Does your Explorer have the 6F35? What fluid have you been using?

Do you have an ODBII scanner ? If so, download the Torque app (Android only) and it will tell you the ATF temperature. FORScan will report the ATF temperature as well. Otherwise, driving for 20+ minutes with shifting should be sufficient (90% highway driving may not cycle through the gears enough ? - not sure).

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Do you have an ODBII scanner ? If so, download the Torque app (Android only) and it will tell you the ATF temperature. FORScan will report the ATF temperature as well. Otherwise, driving for 20+ minutes with shifting should be sufficient (90% highway driving may not cycle through the gears enough ? - not sure).

I just have one of those cheap scanners that tell you the codes. I'll just have to take it for an aggressive drive before I check the level. Probably do a cold drain and fill, putting in the same amount I take out, then warm it up and pull the plug out to check it.

Thanks for the idea. Does your Explorer have the 6F35? What fluid have you been using?

Yes our Explorer has the 6F35 transmission. I've been using Mercon LV that I get from Rock Auto for less than $60/12 quarts, very reasonable. While I'm under warranty I want to make sure if there is a transmission problem they don't give me problems for using a "non" Ford ATF or one that is not Ford approved at least. Castrol Transmax Full Synthetic is officially Ford approved to use in their transmissions that require Mercon LV, read the label to make sure it's the correct Transmax. Other fluids say "suitable" which is not the same as being "approved" by the vehicle manufacture. Actually a couple of times a year Auto Zone and Advance Auto Parts have sales for the Transmax ATF, 2 quarts for $10. I'm curious as to how it would mix with the Mercon LV, doing drain & fills, and the quality of the shifts. The irony is that chances are the dealer doesn't use Mercon LV or even an official Ford approved ATF. They probably use the least expensive ATF that says it's "suitable" for use in vehicles requiring Mercon LV
smirk.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted by Pelican
clinebarger said:

With it being almost winter here I would probably have to do a little more than 30 minutes.

Whimsey

I recently changed it on our 2013 fusion at 65,000km with the 6F35. Just done cold drain and fill, took 4 liters of motorcraft mercon LV.

20181026_201455.jpg

Originally Posted by leeaspell
[

I recently changed it on our 2013 fusion at 65,000km with the 6F35. Just done cold drain and fill, took 4 liters of motorcraft mercon LV.

I get 4 quarts out by using the cold drain method and put back in 4 quarts of Mercon LV. So far it's worked fine 3 times. I've not experienced any shifting issues after each D&F. Did you purchase the Fusion new? Was that the first drain and fill for that vehicle? If so your factory fill held up very well color wise for 65,000km or about 40,000 miles.
Whimsey

Originally Posted by leeaspell
[

I get 4 quarts out by using the cold drain method and put back in 4 quarts of Mercon LV. So far it's worked fine 3 times. I've not experienced any shifting issues after each D&F. Did you purchase the Fusion new? Was that the first drain and fill for that vehicle? If so your factory fill held up very well color wise for 65,000km or about 40,000 miles.
Whimsey

Bought it used in 14 with 20,000km on it, so its probably never been changed before

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back