Double clutch transmission oil in Harley gbox?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an old (1982) Ironhead Harley. While servicing it I came across a synthetic oil meant for VWs with a double wet clutch gearbox. As the gearbox and clutch share the same oil I thought it might be worth giving it a try. The oil that came out was Harley 80/90 dynosaur juice, This oil seems t make the bike easier to get into neutral at idle. Shift quality is the same. Anybody any thoughts on this experiment?

VW DSG fluid is fairly expensive, at least in the US...

My thoughts are that I would put GL1 (which is probably what it calls for) or some MA rated engine oil in it.

As far as fluids and shift quality in my XL 15w40 ST < 15w40 DELO < Redline Vtwin w/shockproof < ST80w90. Never had issues with neutral, not to say it wasn't a learning curve.
Seems that the tranny is clunkier with lighter fluid, that said, I expect you will hate the DSG stuff in the tranny. Now the primary, if separate, can do ATF just fine.

Originally Posted by serious_black
I have an old (1982) Ironhead Harley. As the gearbox and clutch share the same oil .........

My first Harley was a 1981 Ironhead sporty. Some good memories, some bad.

I always just used straight 30W diesel tractor oil in the combined primary/trans.

I'm curious what additives are in each oil, compared.

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably replace the oil with Mobil1 15/50 MC oil. The specs I eventually found for this type of oil, none for that I'm using, suggest it is a bit too thin. An MC oil should be fine for the clutch. The clutch is dragging so I'll also have a look at the actuator mechanism and also see if it is possible to replace the weird double spring arrangement with some belleville washers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back