Suction ATF change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody evacuate ATF through the dipstick tube instead of doing a full pan drop? Looking to get some pre-winter maintenance done... after winter seems to have started. I figure I could do this now and then a pan drop with filter change in the spring. Thoughts?

I've done it lots of times. Suction fluid out and into a marked container, then you know approx how much
to put back in. At the very least it saves mess when dropping the pan.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oldhp
I've done it lots of times. Suction fluid out and into a marked container, then you know approx how much

This ^. Easy. No fuss. No mess.

Originally Posted by Recalculating
Originally Posted by oldhp

This ^. Easy. No fuss. No mess.

thumbsup2.gif

I've done it prior to a pan drop. It makes for an easier pan drop, which is nice and neat.

Originally Posted by dubber09
At least remove drain plug after removing ATF and wipe metal shavings off its built-in magnet.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I've done it prior to a pan drop. It makes for an easier pan drop, which is nice and neat.

Good call on both.

Originally Posted by buck91
Does anybody evacuate ATF through the dipstick tube instead of doing a full pan drop? Thoughts?

I don't drop the pan.

I pull a cooler line loose, then let it idle in neutral - until I start getting air bubbles.

Shut it off, hook the cooler line back up, and then service like normal.

I bought a $70 Mityvac this summer to do those things to the ATF on the Honda and Ranger. Then found that even the tiniest hose wouldn't go down either!

Originally Posted by Greggy_D
Originally Posted by dubber09
At least remove drain plug after removing ATF and wipe metal shavings off its built-in magnet.

Originally Posted by demarpaint

Good call on both.

Most transmissions do not have a drain plug. Transfer cases on AWD and 4x4's usually do.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Just did two Ford Taurus's and a 6.0 Chev Suburban with a Flo N Go system. Excellent with the Taurus's because it gets 50% in one go. Can only get 25% on the 6.0. Here are shots of the work. The hose OD is 3/8". The Flo N Go uses my shop vac for vacuum.

BFBE9B9A-F5EA-47C6-9886-1FE522615EF0.jpeg

499D5B1F-79CA-4166-A9A9-6FBE41A3854D.jpeg

Last edited:
I'd just go get a proper fluid exchange done at a shop and not worry about it. I don't know why people have so many hang ups about transmission flushes. I've previously worked in a shop that did them regularly and we never had a car come back once with problems after having it done, and there were hundreds. I had mine done in the Toyota 20k miles ago and not a problem one!

Yes, I do. Use one for tranny as well as boat and jet ski. Four of the five "divisions" on its side are marked in quarts so you can easily tell how much you have removed.

Tempo Oil Boy is the best, IMO!

Tempo Oil Boy Extractor.png

Originally Posted by tc1446
I bought a $70 Mityvac this summer to do those things to the ATF on the Honda and Ranger. Then found that even the tiniest hose wouldn't go down either!

Me too. There's resistance at the bottom of the tube....probably a designed barrier to ensure a clueless owner doesn't force something into the transmission pan and gets it stuck or "lost." I get about half a quart of fluid out before the suction runs out. So no option other than to drop the pain or disconnect the cooler line. Would be nice if they had a plug in the plan.

Originally Posted by jongies3
I'd just go get a proper fluid exchange done at a shop and not worry about it. I don't know why people have so many hang ups about transmission flushes. I've previously worked in a shop that did them regularly and we never had a car come back once with problems after having it done, and there were hundreds. I had mine done in the Toyota 20k miles ago and not a problem one!

I actually agree with you (assuming no likely mechanical issue and not hugely over due). I just don't trust shops, too many bad experiences. Recently, I did a pan drop and refilled with maxlife atf in a mercon LV application and noticed a significant improvement in transmission behavior. This was purely PM, and no service was due; last service was a transmission "flush" at the dealer although I am suspect as to if it was truely performed and if so what fluid was used. I just do see any reason why a pan drop should have caused such an improvement after only 20k miles.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
The Flo N Go uses my shop vac for vacuum.

I never heard of a Flo N Go. I'd like to see how it hooks up to the Vac. When I evac my tranny fluid....I use my Mity Vac minus the pump and put the hose into the crevise tool of my home vac.

I do a couple of simple drain and refills on my transmission, and replace the filter at certain intervals. All my vehicles now have a drain plug on the transmission pan, so that helps greatly. Prior to that, I would use the vacuum method through the transmission dipstick.

Originally Posted by buck91
Originally Posted by jongies3

I actually agree with you (assuming no likely mechanical issue and not hugely over due). I just don't trust shops, too many bad experiences. Recently, I did a pan drop and refilled with maxlife atf in a mercon LV application and noticed a significant improvement in transmission behavior. This was purely PM, and no service was due; last service was a transmission "flush" at the dealer although I am suspect as to if it was truely performed and if so what fluid was used. I just do see any reason why a pan drop should have caused such an improvement after only 20k miles.

Who knows what transmission fluid still lurked in the flush machine and it's lines when they did yours. Today's transmissions are much more sensitive to the fluid spec'd for a particular transmission. Ford has multiple ATF specs that are not interchangeable and can cause shifting issues if used incorrectly. This is why doing drain & fills or coolant line "exchanges" is a safer bet that the correct fluid is used.

Whimsey

Originally Posted by Warstud
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
The Flo N Go uses my shop vac for vacuum.

I never heard of a Flo N Go. I'd like to see how it hooks up to the Vac. When I evac my tranny fluid....I use my Mity Vac minus the pump and put the hose into the crevise tool of my home vac.

Here you go. Also a small amount of air leakage occurs and helps cool the shop vac motor.

0C85CFCA-BFAF-498A-876C-C7E8D2FEAD9B.jpeg

97ABFF8A-EBD5-41AA-98E9-3876A786F541.jpeg

47BBC12B-AA78-4BF3-B65A-8AD6100420A4.jpeg

AABEE7C4-6B06-4454-A004-77967E4C7655.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back