15w40 in snow blower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I have and it Worked fine and I still have it today. I have used Delo and Lucas and have seen to difference at all. Tecumseh Snow King engine twenty years old

It works great when you store your snowthrower in a heated garage!
grin2.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Oildudeny
Not heated but above 0°F

That may be a bit chilly.

I had 15W-40 in a generator that I tried to start when it was 17*F (a surprise cold snap) ... I couldn't pull the rope fast enough to make it fire.

I changed the oil to 5W-40 Rotella T6 and had no problems after that

No! Too thick at cold startup temps.

Why does this question always come up? What is wrong with plain ol' 5w-30 like almost every manufacturer recommends?

Any one run 15w40 in their snow throwers?

Too thick for sub freezing temperatures. 5w-30 PYB is in mine.

Originally Posted by AMC
No! Too thick at cold startup temps.

Why does this question always come up? What is wrong with plain ol' 5w-30 like almost every manufacturer recommends?

Because 40 is 10 more than 30. It must be better!
laugh.gif

I run 5w30 in my machine I was watching a YouTube video and this guy says he uses 15w40 during the Canadian winter's. Says it flows quick for winter starts and provides all around good protection.

I'm saying to myself W T F he's got to be kidding but in went from a 5 gallon pail supertech 15w40.

Last edited:
5w40 plus LM MoS2 in mine, same as what I use in my Golf. No problems starting in my unheated, uninsulated garage all winter long.

Originally Posted by scurvy
5w40 plus LM MoS2 in mine, same as what I use in my Golf. No problems starting in my unheated, uninsulated garage all winter long.

that's a pretty stout brew you got there.

I would run a good 10w30 first unless its a older unit that uses a lot of oil. I ran high mileage 10w30 in my riding mower this year for example with good results.

I run 5w30 in my machine I was watching a YouTube video and this guy says he uses 15w40 during the Canadian winter's. Says it flows quick for winter starts and provides all around good protection.

I'm saying to myself W T F he's got to be kidding but in went from a 5 gallon pail supertech 15w40.

Was he in a heated garage or possibly using an electric start but didn't reveal that ? Can you post the link to the video.

No.... they sell Delo and Rotella syn blend 10W30 if you really want a heavy duty engine oil.

I'd run the cheapest 5W30 I could find and change it every 25 hours.

I would probably stick with 5W-30 instead of 15W-40 and here is my thoughts on why my thinking is this way. I have used my Honda Snowblower in temps from 5 degrees up to 30 degrees doing my 100 foot driveway as well as my neighbors, sometimes from 1 to 2 hours. I have an infrared gun, I know this is not totally scientific, but the highest oil temp I have recorded is about 175 degrees fahrenheit.

I also notice with my riding mower that in 90 degree plus weather I record an oil temp with 10W-30 of about 205 degrees, the other day mowing it was 40 degrees out and I only recorded an oil temperature of 185 degrees. My thoughts are with air cooled equipment is that the colder the temperature the lower the oil temperature will be.

It seems to me that most of my mowing occurs between 70 and 80 degrees, and snow blowing between 20 and 30 degrees. If those estimates are accurate, then my snow blower normally operates in temperatures 50 degrees cooler than my lawn tractor. 10w30 has worked just fine for the past four seasons in the lawn tractor, so I can't think of a reason to run a thicker oil in a snow blower running in much cooler temperatures. Even if the snow blower were stored in a well heated garage to overcome the starting problem, I can't see how it is ever going to run hot enough to need 15w40. Why not just run 5w30 like the manual says?

I run 60w at -20F. I get maximum protection with zero evidence to prove it. So tired of seeing this type of thinking.

slomo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back