which 5w30 not thinning down to 20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Se bon Beveux!

So far, Redline hasn't sheared. I haven't all the motor oils. All the motor oils I bought at Walmart etc, all sheared. Redline is a boutique oil and not for everyone. Pick your poison,

It's part of the BITOG mythology.

All 5W30s become 5W20s...therefore 0W20 works for all, and it never shears out of grade.

10 year old+ meme.
SOME 5W30s became 20s
J300 of the day, 20s couldn't shear out of grade, as the grade was so ridiculously broad (Cst, versus time units).

Now...5W30s are way more stable typically
0W20s CAN shear/dilute out of grade.

I've had no shearing with PU 5W30 in three vehicles, confirmed by UOA. That doesn't really mean much though, it might shear in something else depending on a lot of variables, the same can be said for any oil I'd think.

Originally Posted by Shannow
It's part of the BITOG mythology.

All 5W30s become 5W20s...therefore 0W20 works for all, and it never shears out of grade.

10 year old+ meme.
SOME 5W30s became 20s
J300 of the day, 20s couldn't shear out of grade, as the grade was so ridiculously broad (Cst, versus time units).

Now...5W30s are way more stable typically
0W20s CAN shear/dilute out of grade.

Thanks Shannow for taking us back to reality...

Originally Posted by Oildudeny
what's the shear stability of a 5w30 vs 5w30 full synthetic?

The oil molecules whether synthetic or not will not shear in an ICE. They are way too small. Also, whether or not there is shear induced viscosity change in any particular oil is also dependent on the engine in which it is being used. So that question is meaningless on the surface.

SonofJoe has posted here several times that the viscosity index improvers in motor oil are far more stable than people think. In applications other than gear boxes or transmissions it is more likely that viscosity changes are due to fuel dilution rather than mechanical shear.

So the question is highly dependent on the specific application and the quality of the multi-viscosity motor oil in question.

Originally Posted by SilverFusion2010
10w-30 usually resists shearing well. Less VII

Not always true often 10W30 are blended in the thin range of 30 grades.

So should I run 0w40 PP if I want to finish with a 0w30 ? Well I mean if I want to stay within the Ford viscosity recommended for my Ecoboost 3.5

Last edited:
Another BITOG myth/meme is that your engine isn't protected unless it's running at least a *w-30.

My UOA's on Mobil 1 5w-20 and 0w-20 show them in-grade at over 8K in my Toyota and my Honda. That's when I change the oil anyway.

Your results may vary.

Originally Posted by HangFire
Another BITOG myth/meme is that your engine isn't protected unless it's running at least a *w-30.

I understand that but Ford wants 5w30 in my engine so they must have a good reason for that , my understanding is that they want the w30 to be there all the time not only when freshly poured in the engine :)

Originally Posted by Baveux
So should I run 0w40 PP if I want to finish with a 0w30 ? Well I mean if I want to stay within the Ford viscosity recommended for my Ecoboost 3.5

Sorry if I missed it in some other thread but where's the evidence that any oil is dropping a grade in your application?

Originally Posted by HangFire

I understand that but Ford wants 5w30 in my engine so they must have a good reason for that , my understanding is that they want the w30 to be there all the time not only when freshly poured in the engine :)

Nope it was tested with Motorcraft 5W30 and the real possibility of shearing was tested and it was deemed acceptable. It amazes me these engines have been tested both by the manufacturer and the consumer in the real world with OEM recommendations with extremely low failures and even fewer failures due to live yet BITOGERS believe they must use a thicker grade to counter a perceived flaw.

So I am overthinking all this for nothing then.... so Ill stick with my 5w30 Pennzoil Platinum with the Motorcraft FL500S filter and the OLM warning light . Very simple after all .........ahhhhhh this site is killing me :)

So I am overthinking all this for nothing then.... so Ill stick with my 5w30 Pennzoil Platinum with the Motorcraft FL500S filter and the OLM warning light . Very simple after all .........ahhhhhh this site is killing me :)

Yeah it's the perfect site for OCD. It helps if you eat a cup of cranberries for a couple of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back