Time for a new coat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a Wells. Coat from Walmart very similar to carhart. It's warm enough but they always fit real short even the carhart coats seem to fit short . They always have the elastic at the bottom of the coat and it seems like it makes it ride up. That being said recommend me a good coat to wear . Something durable comfortable and warm.

Not every Carhartt has elastic. I have this one.

carhartt.jpg

Last edited:
Was going to say the same thing. I have a Carhartt jacket without elastic on the bottom - it does have a cord you can tighten, but no elastic. I believe it is the Armstrong fleece lined - not the active one. One of my favorite winter coats for work.

If they seem to short, Carhartt also makes tall sizes... Just saying...

I've had a helly hansen since 2011. Held up great still waterproof. Not on my radar as anything to replace as of yet

Originally Posted by ram_man
I had a Wells. Coat from Walmart very similar to carhart. It's warm enough but they always fit real short even the carhart coats seem to fit short . They always have the elastic at the bottom of the coat and it seems like it makes it ride up. That being said recommend me a good coat to wear . Something durable comfortable and warm.

The elastic band at the bottom of the coat (versus attached to the lining in a longer coat) is found on "Bomber" style coats (as in WWII air crews). Just choose another style and the problem goes away; some body types don't work with Bomber jackets as they ride up at the elastic band.

Have you ever seen those electric coats? I have a heated Bosch jacket, a few of my friends have Milwaukee & DeWalts. They are awesome if your outside for long periods of time, especially for the morning hunt.

Where will the coat be worn? Going to a Wall Street finance job or mucking the stalls or fixing diesel engines?

Originally Posted by Donald

Where will the coat be worn? Going to a Wall Street finance job or mucking the stalls or fixing diesel engines?

Well, he said it is "very similar to carhart." I doubt you'd wear that to a Wall St. finance job.

I've always wore outerwear from Key Industries.. but I'm partial since my dad works there. They have different styles. You may need the non-elastic version... I think they call them chore coats. I have a few of each version lol. Since your in Missouri look at Sutherlands or Orschelins.

For my slightly taller frame I find Eddie Bauer or L.L.Bean TALL SIZES the only way to go. They save me time.

I have an old Wells down jacket with "long enough" arms but it's only jacket length.

Sometimes you just have to try a bunch of them on.

If you shop by internet (mail order) be prepared to order a few and return what doesn't suit you. It saves driving all over the place.

Also, settling on an outer material first will speed the selection process.

My everyday winter outerwear is a Columbia Ascender jacket, it's not very heavy but works well for me as long as it's above 10F or so. Good for snow, rain, dry weather, whatever.
My backup for when I might get dirty working outside is a very similar but even lighter LL Bean Warm Up jacket, which I actually wore to work today because my Columbia got pretty sweaty while I was cleaning up from the storm last night.
I also have a scarlet Champion coach's jacket that I will sometimes wear in the winter, I bought this for cold weather practices when I used to help out with my daughter's softball team. It usually comes out of the first two jackets are both wet!
If it's going to be quite cold but snow is not expected, I have a JC Penney wool coat that is about thigh length and very warm. I picked this up in the spring during the big financial crisis and it was marked way down to $45, great price for a very quality item. Also good for when I want to just dress up a bit in the cold.
For when the weather is just truly frightful, I have an Eddie Bauer full on Gore Tex super heavy puffy coat with a hood (which I usually can't stand). I have had this for about 20 years and have probably worn it less than 10 times, but there are times when I just really need it...subzero temps, howling winds, maybe driving snow and I have to be outside for whatever reason. If I wore this thing while I was snowblowing and it was over 20F, I would melt into a puddle in no time...it's just too warm for most conditions.

My wife thinks I'm weird because I leave a pair of gloves in each jacket/coat that I think it appropriate for the way I use it...I also leave a pair of thick gloves in the garage just for snowblowing or shoveling, near my heavy and light yard gloves. It's just the way my mind works, every jacket and every task has its own pair of gloves...

BTW, I would like to try one of the Duluth fire hose jackets someday.

I've been rocking my LL Bean coat for years. I believe the current equivalent offering is the weather challenger. I got my in XLT, as I have short legs and a long torso.

The liner can be zipped in or removed, or worn as a fleece.

I think I've had it for a dozen years or so. Good quality coat and very versatile.

Originally Posted by Kira
For my slightly taller frame I find Eddie Bauer or L.L.Bean TALL SIZES the only way to go. They save me time.

I have an old Wells down jacket with "long enough" arms but it's only jacket length.

Sometimes you just have to try a bunch of them on.

If you shop by internet (mail order) be prepared to order a few and return what doesn't suit you. It saves driving all over the place.

Also, settling on an outer material first will speed the selection process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back