Nokian Hakkapelitta R3 - Winter Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up my Nokian Hakka. R3's and they are really nice. Super happy with the agressive tread on them and the speed rating is 170km/hr (105.6 MPH) which is plenty even for my lead foot.
grin2.gif

(Got the 17" version for the Caravan)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
for the Caravan)

My heart weeps every time I read that now LOL.

Last edited:
I had picked them up but just got around to putting them on tonight. They are very smooth even at high speeds, I was surprised for a winter tire. The noise increase is minimal over the all-seasons. I'm quite happy with these so far for those aspects.

We are supposed to get a lot of rain the next few days so I will be able to check them in the wet weather because apparently the R2's weren't as good in wet weather but the R3's have fixed that.

Then when the snow gets here I can update the thread again with that review. (We might get some wet snow this weekend but I want to trial them when we get dumped on.)

Last edited:
The R3-SUV is getting some favorable test results from a variety of sources.

Summary comments:

1. "Excellent on snow and ice. Nice balance and predictable to drive. Best braking and steering on wet asphalt and best braking properties on dry asphalt of all tested tyres."

2. "Very good properties on ice and snow. Excellent braking and steering properties on wet asphalt. Best braking properties on dry asphalt of all tested tyres.."

3. "A tyre without any clear shortcomings. Very well-balanced characteristics, having balanced properties on all surfaces. Good handling properties and predictability on ice."

https://www.nokiantyres.com/innovation/test-success/

For all you Nokian fanboys. Care to share. Have had SUV R (I guess gen 1) prior.

How much of a difference on the Gen 3 series now ? Just briefing through all the comments in this thread

Originally Posted by SubLGT
The R3-SUV is getting some favorable test results from a variety of sources.

Summary comments:

1. "Excellent on snow and ice. Nice balance and predictable to drive. Best braking and steering on wet asphalt and best braking properties on dry asphalt of all tested tyres."

2. "Very good properties on ice and snow. Excellent braking and steering properties on wet asphalt. Best braking properties on dry asphalt of all tested tyres.."

3. "A tyre without any clear shortcomings. Very well-balanced characteristics, having balanced properties on all surfaces. Good handling properties and predictability on ice."

https://www.nokiantyres.com/innovation/test-success/

Good to know and that is exactly what I have on the Van.

We had a ton of rain this weekend with wet snow and we were out/about on the highway where we cross a high up bridge that had high winds and I felt confident with the tires on. No feel of hydroplaning and the rain was quite heavy at times. Temperature around 4c (39F)

We had a ton of rain this weekend with wet snow and we were out/about on the highway where we cross a high up bridge that had high winds and I felt confident with the tires on. No feel of hydroplaning and the rain was quite heavy at times. Temperature around 4c (39F)

R2 was good in hydroplaning. However, they are abysmal in braking and handling in wet. That is why I am asking. Also, with R2 there is no doubt it is harsh ride compare to anything I had on Tiguan. It would be good if they fixed these two issues as I am contemplating what to get for Toyota with horrid torque steer although it has AWD. The AWD is so lazy that front tires spin in dry, you can feel it on steering wheel than AWD kicks in. I have never drove such poorly designed AWD system. Starting to think to get some hard core winter although Michelin Xi2 proved really good on my X5. But then that was BMW.

So far so good here on then R3-SUV tires. Just waiting for some actual accumulation to drive through to see how it handles that, but it did well in the heavy rain and mild wet-snow this past weekend.

Just an update to the handling.

Today it's 9c (48F) and we had really heavy rain during the drive this morning to my office. So much so that there was water pooling in places on the highway and the R3-SUV tires handled it extremely well. I hit one spot without time to slow down because I didn't see it coming and it glided right through it no problem and when I braked while moving through this pool and I didn't feel the vehicle pulling, sliding or fish-tailing at all.

I have about 650km on them now and they handle really nicely, they are really quiet and the ride is excellent.

I'll update again at the first snow fall and/or ice, and there is a chance I need to go to Northern Ontario with my vehicle some time next week and they have snow there already so I might stay the weekend and have some fun and put them through the test.

Last edited:
Just an update to the handling.

Today it's 9c (48F) and we had really heavy rain during the drive this morning to my office. So much so that there was water pooling in places on the highway and the R3-SUV tires handled it extremely well. I hit one spot without time to slow down because I didn't see it coming and it glided right through it no problem and when I braked while moving through this pool and I didn't feel the vehicle pulling, sliding or fish-tailing at all.

I have about 650km on them now and they handle really nicely, they are really quiet and the ride is excellent.

I'll update again at the first snow fall and/or ice, and there is a chance I need to go to Northern Ontario with my vehicle some time next week and they have snow there already so I might stay the weekend and have some fun and put them through the test.

I am waiting Thanksgiving sale, but this morning would be good to check any tire. I had in my neighborhood some 7 inches of super heavy, wet snow.

We usually get impacted somewhat in those years... Though the last 10 years has been relatively easy with the exception of 2 years I can remember.

We usually get impacted somewhat in those years... Though the last 10 years has been relatively easy with the exception of 2 years I can remember.

If last El Nino is any indication, it should be very good skiing year.
Last year was really bad for some ski resorts.

Well the snow finally hit us today and the roads were super icy because it started out as rain, then changed to wet snow, then the temperature dropped and froze the wet roads and it was all snow on-top of that. Both on the Highway and on Streets in light and heavy snow areas the tires performed amazing.

By far the best Winter Tire I have used to date and far better than the Michelin X-Ice I had previously.

1.jpg

Last edited:
I had R2's on my WRX. They were absolutely fantastic in snow, but truly scary in wet weather. While great in snow, they were definitely the wrong tool for my application (mostly rain/wet roads and 40°-50°). I replaced them with Pirelli performance winters, which have been much better for my conditions.

The R2's never hydroplaned, but the grip while turning or stopping was absolutely horrendous.

We were 40-50F with lots of wet weather last week and this week we are at 32-30F with the snow. We are going to be around the same temperature tomorrow with wet snow. But so far tonight with the mixture it was excellent so they must have improved.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back