Leave it in for 1.5 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do my yearly oil change 2011 RAV4 (2.5 4-cyl) every fall. I use whatever synthetic 0 or 5W20 is on sale. There is Quaker State UD 5W20 in the sump right now, changed October 2017. This vehicle is driven only a few thousand kms per year, and I've put around 2500kms on the oil. Winter seems to have hit rather early this year, and I was wondering if I should just stretch the OCI until the upcoming spring? That would stretch out the OCI for 1.5 years, something I have never done on this vehicle before.

You're fine until spring. The small amount of miles are insignificant in the overall scheme.

Vehicles and oil do not know time. Time is a Human construct. I've done OCI for a couple years. No worries!

I have an old Farmall Tractor that's had the same 15W-40 for over 10 years now.

I start it once or twice a year, warm it up, work it hard for 1-2 hours, then it sets till next year.

The oil still looks great, and I bet it would pass an analysis easily.

Originally Posted by Linctex
I have an old Farmall Tractor that's had the same 15W-40 for over 10 years now.

I start it once or twice a year, warm it up, work it hard for 1-2 hours, then it sets till next year.

The oil still looks great, and I bet it would pass an analysis easily.

Whenever you decide to change that oil, please PLEASE send it for an UOA and post it here.

Leaving my present fill in for 10,000 miles. Driving as normal.

Changed my oil same day as last post about torquing drain bolts.

Depends on the types of trips it gets.

If you are doing a lot of short trip driving, you may have a high moisture content, and can lead to milky oil.

I was planning on doing year + oil changes in my truck. I do mostly short trips (my drive to work is only 3 miles), but do at least a monthly drive to my mom's (50 miles highway each way).
My truck also uses a qt every 1500 miles, so I figured I could do 2 years (maybe 8000 miles) without a change.
When I was adding oil one day (about 2 days after a 100 mile drive at highway speeds), I found this:

[Linked Image]

So I changed the oil that day.

Originally Posted by blupupher
Depends on the types of trips it gets.

If you are doing a lot of short trip driving, you may have a high moisture content, and can lead to milky oil.

I was planning on doing year + oil changes in my truck. I do mostly short trips (my drive to work is only 3 miles), but do at least a monthly drive to my mom's (50 miles highway each way).
My truck also uses a qt every 1500 miles, so I figured I could do 2 years (maybe 8000 miles) without a change.
When I was adding oil one day (about 2 days after a 100 mile drive at highway speeds), I found this:

[Linked Image]

So I changed the oil that day.

Check you PCV valve...

Originally Posted by ka9mnx

Check you PCV valve...

Was replaced with a Motorcraft one about 10,000 miles ago. Changed it to see if it would reduce the consumption, no change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back