Frantz Oil Refiner installed on 4Runner

We'll be on the same page so to speak. I just built a budget bypass with the wix 50150. Ill be reporting data every 10% of the olm to see how it affects the oil over time.

Nice to see more data streamed posts.

Originally Posted by Purpfox
We'll be on the same page so to speak. I just built a budget bypass with the wix 50150. Ill be reporting data every 10% of the olm to see how it affects the oil over time.

Nice to see more data streamed posts.

Thanks I appreciate it. I saw your thread and I'm looking forward to your data as well. You will have significantly more data points at significantly shorter intervals between samples than me, but it will be cool to see how the two compare on drastically different vehicles. Based on my full flow filter appearance after 5,000 miles my engine generates a lot of junk, but I suppose it's entitled to after nearly 342,000 miles. I'm currently only at about 650 miles on my bypass setup, Frantz recommends changing the first element at 500 miles which I didn't do. I'm planning on running till the filter stops getting warm, if that hasn't occurred by 5,000 miles on the filter I'll pull a sample at that time.

Cheers.

I just built a budget bypass with the wix 50150.

Surprisingly...... the Wix/Napa seem to have the worst micron rating of all the available 5/8" threaded bypass filters in this "Family"

I got a whole case of Hastings LF334's on ebay for $3.00 per filter, shipped to my door. Enough to last several lifetimes. I'll never change it unless the flow stops/slows down through it.

Originally Posted by Linctex
I just built a budget bypass with the wix 50150.

Surprisingly...... the Wix/Napa seem to have the worst micron rating of all the available 5/8" threaded bypass filters in this "Family"

I got a whole case of Hastings LF334's on ebay for $3.00 per filter, shipped to my door. Enough to last several lifetimes. I'll never change it unless the flow stops/slows down through it.

Linc, what does the Hastings LF334 filter to nominal and absolute?

Quick update, as I'm approaching 1,000 on the bypass setup and I've noticed a small increase in hot cruise oil pressure I decided to check the filter housing today after i drove 20 minutes home from work go see if it was still flowing. Sure enough, good and hot to the touch so the filter is still flowing enough to get hot.

I still think that I've loaded the media to some degree since the oil pressure is back up some, because my oil pressure sending unit is basically in line with the bypass filter it's essentially measuring delta p across the filter as well. So far with 1,000 miles on the element delta p is up 3-4 psi.

Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3

Linc, what does the Hastings LF334 filter to nominal and absolute?

I need to dig through my email searching "CLARCOR"....

I'm almost positive I got a reply that was "2 micron nominal, 10 micron absolute"

OK, I got two emails:

One from Travis R. Winberg that says Baldwin and Hastings are exactly the same filter.

The other from Sandra "Sandy" Huckfeldt that says: "2 micron nominal, 15 micron absolute"

Originally Posted by Linctex
OK, I got two emails:

One from Travis R. Winberg that says Baldwin and Hastings are exactly the same filter.

The other from Sandra "Sandy" Huckfeldt that says: "2 micron nominal, 15 micron absolute"

2um nominal and 15um absolute is pretty darn good for a spin on! Didn't you buy a whole case of these? I'd love to see I side a new or used one. A used one would be neat to see how uniformly the media loads in use. I'd be curious to see if they load evenly or from the top of bottom first.

Originally Posted by CT8
Could it be the media becoming saturated with oil and expanding a bit?

Based on the design the filter should be saturated as soon as the filter is first placed in service. Considering the differential pressure on cold startup is 75-85 psi I'd say the media was already saturated and compressed. I suspect that the increase in delta p I'm observing is either a function of media loading or the cooler weather last week. I'll keep everyone posted.

2um nominal and 15um absolute is pretty darn good for a spin on! Didn't you buy a whole case of these? I'd love to see I side a new or used one. A used one would be neat to see how uniformly the media loads in use. I'd be curious to see if they load evenly or from the top of bottom first.

There won't be any surprises to show.
The element will look exactly like any pleated fuel filter element - (which is basically what they are)
... and many Baldwin diesel fuel filters are rated at 10 micron nominal.

There won't be any "loading" at all ~ all of the oil going to the "inlet" of my bypass filter comes from the "outlet" side of a Fram Tough Guard -
- which has a (relatively) VERY high efficiency rating, all by itself.

The oil is pretty darn clean once it arrives.

Linc,

I also have a Tough Guard installed as my full flow filter, however I don't have a place to tap into oil downstream of my full flow filter. So in my application the bypass filter gets oil directly from the sump via the oil pump. Not an ideal situation as it means the bypass gets exposed to the full range of particle size generated in the engine versus just the particles the full flow filter doesn't or can't catch.

In the grand scheme of things I'm not sure it matters since the full flow filter flow rate is so much greater than the bypass filter, but nevertheless the bypass filter is exposed to particle sizes that would normally be captured by the full flow in a setup like yours.

Since I don't put on very many miles I'm currently up to 1200 miles on the bypass system and 55 hours of engine run time. The bypass canister is too hot to touch following my 15-20 minute drive home which includes about 8 miles of highway driving so the Element must still be flowing well.

Will continue to update as time goes on.

Quick update, I'll eclipse 1500 miles on the bypass setup tomorrow, so far I've resisted the urge to install a smaller orifice to feed the unit and I've grown accustomed to the slightly lower cruise oil pressure with the system installed. Differential pressure across the filter remains about the same as it was at 1,000 miles, which is about 60 psi at 3300 RPM. Filter is still nice and hot to the touch after 15 minutes so it must still be flowing rather well. I wish I put miles on faster because I'm itching to see how the element looks. But I'll behave and leave it in service. Will continue to update as I put on more miles.

I found this on the net:

filter.PNG

Quick update, been on the road for work quite a bit lately so I haven't put many miles on the old 4Runner, but as of today I'm up to 1760 miles on the element and 74 hours of run time since the install. On a 60 degree day 4 minutes after starting and a coolant temp right at 100 degrees the center top of the canister is just barely perceptible warm to the touch so it's still flowing even when fairly cool oil is being sent to the filter. A 6 mile round trip to the hardware store results in a filter that is way way too hot to touch.

Still shooting to run the filter element to 5,000 miles which will be 6,000 miles on the oil. At that time I will draw a sample, change the element and top off. Not sure a 5,000 mile element change and top off will be sustainable but we'll see what the UOA says moving forward.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
I found this on the net:

Thank you for posting this, great information on spin on bypass elements.

I also found that Donaldson has some M20x1.5 bypass listed for Mazda bypass (huh??) that have 5 micron ratings. However, as most know, Donaldsons aren't actually available at every street corner, so there is a premium to be paid. Also, I don't know how many bypass filter mounts have an M20x1.5 thread lol!

I also found that Donaldson has some M20x1.5 bypass listed for Mazda bypass (huh??) that have 5 micron ratings. However, as most know, Donaldsons aren't actually available at every street corner, so there is a premium to be paid. Also, I don't know how many bypass filter mounts have an M20x1.5 thread lol!

That is an interesting find, I'd be curious what application it's for.

I also found that Donaldson has some M20x1.5 bypass listed for Mazda bypass (huh??) that have 5 micron ratings.

That is an interesting find, I'd be curious what application it's for.

Apparently, some Mazda diesels and Ford Ranger diesels used one on the passenger side.

Back