Do you use a open drain pan or a closed one with a pour spout?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have both but I almost always use the closed one. It helps if I drop the drain plug or filter and makes the old oil easier to pour back into the jugs.

How about you?

Open but deep with a pour nozzle on the one corner. Works great. Harbor Freight.

Something like this but not exactly. Mine is more square and the nozzle is on the one corner... These are fine though.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
The open style with a pour spout is the one I'd recommend. Mine, like StevieC's, is hexagonal....bought so long ago it was $7. I do like any deeper design.

Those closed ones (with the 4 slightly angled bottom panels which focus on a grille) are horrible because the draining oil splashes all over the place unless you crack the oil drain plug and let it exit slowly.

But, like they say, "If it works for you..."

My all time favorite application was an odd 2 gallon sized can of something which was tall. It stood and fit directly beneath my sister's Jeep's drain plug.
Perfect....until the thin metal developed pinholes.

I think it had been a thin decorative can used for holiday candies or some such.

I use Lisle 17942 Black Plastic 4.5-Gallon Drain Pan. It's the open type. I can drain it right into an empty five quart oil container. Then take the 5 quart containers of used oil to have it recycled. Got mine on sale at O'Reilly auto parts for about $15. I have had three gallons of hot/warm oil in it, and it does not flex.

Don't have to worry about oil splashing every where, and has a big opening with room for error if it's not centered right for the draining oil.

I used to use one of those closed top with spout drain pans, but got tired of the oil always splashing out when it would hit it just wrong. Now I use a deep open container similar to a storage tote. Of course I have homemade ramps that are 12 inches tall, so I have room for a big thing like that.

I haven't used any pan for years. Drain directly to a jug from a Fumoto with a drain hose. Spotless, dripless oil change.

Now ask how I do a filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
Open but deep with a pour nozzle on the one corner. Works great. Harbor Freight.

Something like this but not exactly. Mine is more square and the nozzle is on the one corner... These are fine though.
I have the one you mention and hate it, it is impossible to get all the oil out of it. Then it always has gross sludge in it because of particulates getting caught in the oil. I switched to a normal pan type and I like it because you can clean it, then leave it outside and it won't get gross.

Last edited:
I like the one in the picture above for my Rav4 but I can't get it under my Camry. I have to use a lower pan for the Camry.

I use a large, heavy, aluminum baking pan. Federal prison surplus, no kidding. It's probably older than my dad. Works awesome. Wish I could get more of them.

Old open plastic drain pan with no spout other than a too-subtle blip on the edge. Must pour oil out very slowly to avoid the stream becoming too wide to hit my funnel. Center of its bottom has warped upward, reducing capacity to barely adequate for the Toyota's 4.2 liter capacity.
Under the Subaru, I used to use a ~1-gallon "tin" food can.
Back on the farm, a heavy stamped-steel hog-watering pan, about the same size as a typical modern plastic oil-drain pan.

Originally Posted by StevieC

[Linked Image]

I like the look of that oil pan. It's deep it has handles to hold onto and the pour spout

Originally Posted by user52165
I haven't used any pan for years. Drain directly to a jug from a Fumoto with a drain hose. Spotless, dripless oil change.

Now ask how I do a filter.

^^^^^^
This.

Originally Posted by Zee09
I use an oil extractor.

I did once then went back to draining . I believe it does get all the oil out but may leave carbon on pan bottom .

Originally Posted by Kjmack
Originally Posted by Zee09
I use an oil extractor.

I did once then went back to draining . I believe it does get all the oil out but may leave carbon on pan bottom .

Actually you can scrub the pan with an extractor but not with opening a drain plug. Not even if
you pour fresh oil through.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Closed with a pour spout.

This.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back