so K&N now make cabin filters....

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.knfilters.co.uk/search/product.aspx?prod=VF2002

was surprised to come across this when searching for cabin filters. advertised as reusable and can be cleaned etc... how much do they filter? if they are like the engine air filters then looks like i may get an asthma attack.

[Linked Image]

what are your thoughts?

costs as much as 5 regular filters.

I replaced the cabin filter in my Fusion with one of these back in 2016 when my car had 37k miles. It's working well. I haven't had any issues with it to date.

I am sure the K&N would be OK, but probably more expensive than the low priced ones on Amazon or RA. Its a cabin air filter. It provides a base to construct a mouse nest on. My pickup does not have one, nor did cars 5 or 10 years ago. I think a low priced one is fine.

Originally Posted by slybunda

I get that they're re-usable but getting over the initial up-front cost is still a hurdle for many. I know the math says these are a better deal but it doesn't work for all consumers.

some K+N stuff is repriced + rebranded chinese stuff!! NEVER changed a cabin filter, BUT NEVER smoked in the last 55 years!!

……. if they are like the engine air filters then looks like i may get an asthma attack.
lol.gif
Well played.

I just use the least expensive regular CAFs I can find. Last purchase, two Parts Plus Premium Guard CAF off Amazon, ~$12 total. Even the carbon element ones seem like a solution in search of a problem,' imo'.

Five times as much? I'd rather just replace them as needed, not all that often. That said, I suppose the K&N reusability might appeal to some.

EDIT.
crackmeup2.gif
Just saw paulri's pic.

Last edited:

Let's say a 30k interval is called for. 30 x 5 = 150k. Yeah, that's a loooooooong time table for a positive ROI. I'll stick with the cheapest paper filter I can find and change according to the interval. Changed the one in the CX-5 with an EPAuto filter from Amazon for $9.11 about a year ago and have had no HVAC related issues.

One nice thing about regularly changing any Air Filter is the rubber seal should always be soft & pliable.

With a Filter that's used over and over many years, will you still get an air tight seal around the gasket ?

K&N the official brand of Subaru and Nissan vapesquads, Murican pickup truck owners who kiss their sweetie with their fist, and 45 degree camber riced out Mitsubuishi's owners everywhere.

Is there actually a market for this K&N cabin filter? Unbelievable. I can usually find a Toyota OEM cabin filter for less than $15 or an after market for $5-10.

just seen that its on offer here locally at half price, so only twice the cost of a regular paper filter. worth the punt? or is it more efficient to cut wifes bra in half and use a cup over my mouth with some string??

[quote My pickup does not have one, nor did cars 5 or 10 years ago. I think a low priced one is fine. [/quote]

A simply online search shows that your truck does have one, under the glove box. I have 2 cars 18 and 21 years old with them.

I have the VF2001 in my Civic since I bought it. I was it out with soap and water and let it dry. Spray a bit of static guard on it and have had no issue. Paid 30.00 from autoanything.com . Occasionally if its dusty I add a thin piece of foam or pantyhose to help filter the dust out in Western Kansas. I also use a lubegard foam hvac treatment to keep the pollen down too. My buddy will sometimes use his ionization machine on my car to help and we do that while at lunch. I like the K&N filter as you can spray a fragrance on it if you fancy a unique smell. No HP or TQ gains as far as I can tell lol.

What's all the comments "I use XYZ filter and don't have any HVAC issues"

Ummm, what issues are you expecting?

I've seen factory installed cabin filters with 100,000 miles on them. Car had no AC issue. Owner didn't even know he had a cabin filter until I showed him the moldy germ vest growing in the glove box.

Those with 2-3 year old cabin filters with 20-30k miles on it won't have any "issues". LOL. You guys are silly.

I prefer the top of the line carbon type as I want ultimate filtration and smell control.

I think K&N are simply struggling to make money so they are now trying to tap into the cabin air filter market to get some extra coin for the share holders to enjoy.

These filters will catch leafs and twigs but let everything else thru. The washable aspect is silly. Never understood the mentality behind cleaning and reusing a FILTER. It's job is to catch crap and then throw that junk away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back